IGNORED

Article: Sonore opticalRendu & Signature Rendu SE Optical Review | Part 2

Chris, I do believe Andy has a point about component stacking. It would adversely affect both Rossini and DV2, because the footers cannot completely eliminate resonance, although designed to do their best to their own unit. Placing a weight or unit compromises things further. dCS even mention it in their manuals - why go through the trouble writing it and not mention other elements such as cabling etc. ?

Vibration control would have played less importance in your previous setup with TAD monitors and matched stands. But you now have Wilsons that have orders of magnitude of energy moving the air and floor. You done the hard bit with acoustic management, but if you speak to your expert networks, they might offer more physics-based knowledge on this.

Screenshot 2019-10-12 at 10.32.34.png

On 10/10/2019 at 2:58 PM, k-man said:

"For example, using Roon to send audio to the dCS Rossini's Ethernet interface versus using Roon to send audio to the "SE optical" that sends it on to the Rossini's USB interface, I'm 100% positive the path through the Sonore component is much better. This source selection is a real-world decision people will make, should they use Roon directly or through an optical Rendu?"

My takeaway from Part 1 and 2 of the Review is that the optical element can raise the level of performance significantly. Do you have a Sonore OpticalModule on hand to feed the Rossini's Ethernet input from Ubiquiti?

Hi,  While it is true that using an optical interface does improve performance, there are a lot of other improvements (besides the addition of the optical interface) in the new optical Renderers from Sonore.  There is more adding to the performance here than solely the optical interface.

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

1 hour ago, Superdad said:

What makes the power supply “turbo?”

Is there a turbine in there? Do you get the boost from compressing exhaust gas? If not than I guess it’s more of a “supercharger.” x-D

(Sorry, I’m an old car guy...)

Very nice review. Congrats.

I’m a car guy...can you tell from my account name? 

2 hours ago, Superdad said:

What makes the power supply “turbo?”

Is there a turbine in there? Do you get the boost from compressing exhaust gas? If not than I guess it’s more of a “supercharger.” x-D

(Sorry, I’m an old car guy...)

Very nice review. Congrats.

Yes indeed Alex, we actually have a turbine in there, we run venturi style ducting to increase the airflow around the heatsink, and then use that airflow to spin a turbine which then spins a generator to increase the available voltage when the thing gets gong really fast... err, uh, hard...

Uh no.  We use "Turbo" with a capitol "T" as name, not a descriptor!

Anyway, the Turbo supply has about 50% more capacitance in the supply (more energy storage being mildly analogous to a turbocharger), and the capacitors themselves are upgraded from very good industrial grade parts to even better ones from Mundorf.  There are some other parts differences as well, but the basic circuit remains the same.

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

8 hours ago, Andy Yuen said:

Hi Chris,  to test whether stacking the DV2 on top of the Rossini DAC is a good thing or not, why not put them on separate shelves and then give them an extended listen to find out? 

Give the guy a break! 😀 Cable swapping's a bit of a chore in this hobby, let alone moving around 17kg components.

Would love to learn impressions of the Sonore offering via its preferred USB output vs. the Innuos Statement via its Ethernet output on the Rossini.  I’m looking for best possible SQ with all else secondary, though Roon is a plus. 

- Mark

Synology DS916+ > SoTM dCBL-CAT7 > Netgear switch > SoTM dCBL-CAT7 > dCS Vivaldi Upsampler (Nordost Valhalla 2 power cord) > Nordost Valhalla 2 Dual 110 Ohm AES/EBU > dCS Vivaldi DAC (David Elrod Statement Gold power cord) > Nordost Valhalla 2 xlr > Absolare Passion preamp (Nordost Valhalla 2 power cord) > Nordost Valhalla 2 xlr > VTL MB-450 III (Shunyata King Cobra CX power cords) > Nordost Valhalla 2 speaker > Kaiser Kaewero Classic /JL Audio F110 (Wireworld Platinum power cord).

Power Conditioning: Entreq Olympus Tellus grounding (AC, preamp and dac) / Shunyata Hydra Triton + Typhoon (Shunyata Anaconda ZiTron umbilical/Shunyata King Cobra CX power cord) > Furutec GTX D-Rhodium AC outlet.

• 4 weeks later...
21 minutes ago, Redphu said:

Thanks Chris. I’ve been waiting for the 2nd part of this review.  Would you have any experience with Innous or Pink Faun player; I’m looking for some comparisons. Thanks. 

I’ve heard Innous many times at shows. Good stuff, but I can’t do the comparison. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

• 1 month later...
5 minutes ago, charles rollo said:

Using a Aqua Acoustic FormulaxHD DAC with iPeng not Roon. DAC can use Roon however very happy with iPeng. Using an Innuos Zenith mk3  music server. Where would this device be used in that set up ? Thank you.

charles

Hi Charles - This device wouldn't fit in your current setup, unless you could somehow output audio from the Innuos to the Rendu over Ethernet. Perhaps you can use DLNA or Roon to try this. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Hi Chris,

thanks for the wonderful review(s) which I now read more than once 🙂   I am currently trying out an opticalRendu which I like a lot. I got a basic ifi Power Supply. 

After all the information in the review I would say I have one question left: Would you say that the opticalRendu with the Turbo Power Supply provides the same sound quality as the Signature Rendu SE with that same power supply (both with the optical connection. Signature Rendu with the Tier 2 upgrade)

Thanks in advance for your reaction

Kind regards

32 minutes ago, RichardK said:

Would you say that the opticalRendu with the Turbo Power Supply provides the same sound quality as the Signature Rendu SE with that same power supply (both with the optical connection. Signature Rendu with the Tier 2 upgrade)

Most likely yes. I think the only difference between the two systems I have is that the power supply is inside the SE rather than external to the oR.