IGNORED

Article: Sonore opticalRendu & Signature Rendu SE Optical Review | Part 2

"Note: My comparisons with the Aurender W20SE weren't thorough as I'd just received it for evaluation. But, there were some nuances in tone that I heard via the W20SE and not the "SE optical"

With the Aurender you used USB out directly into the DACs?

Thanks

Matt

"I want to know why the musicians are on stage, not where". (John Farlowe)

1 hour ago, matthias said:

Chris,

excellent review!

Please, can you specify which equipment you used upstream to the Signature Rendu SE Optical for the review.

Thanks

Matt

Here are the network pieces I used. These are connected to my main network via fiber as well.

Ubiquiti UniFi Switch 8 (150W) - LINK

Ubiquiti SFP Modules (UF-SM-1G-S) - LINK

Single Mode LC to LC 10 Meter Fiber Cable - LINK

Roon was running on three different platforms during this review. 

1. ROCK / NUC

2. CAPS Cortes / Windows 10 Pro

3. QNAP NAS

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

21 minutes ago, matthias said:

"Note: My comparisons with the Aurender W20SE weren't thorough as I'd just received it for evaluation. But, there were some nuances in tone that I heard via the W20SE and not the "SE optical"

With the Aurender you used USB out directly into the DACs?

Thanks

Matt

No, Aurender was used via AES and externally clocked via the dCS Rossini, and only via AES for the other DACs. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

I just checked my notes, and Chris' Signature Rendu SE is an original unit (pre-optical), then upgraded to the optical version, with the full tier 3 upgrade.

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

"For example, using Roon to send audio to the dCS Rossini's Ethernet interface versus using Roon to send audio to the "SE optical" that sends it on to the Rossini's USB interface, I'm 100% positive the path through the Sonore component is much better. This source selection is a real-world decision people will make, should they use Roon directly or through an optical Rendu?"

My takeaway from Part 1 and 2 of the Review is that the optical element can raise the level of performance significantly. Do you have a Sonore OpticalModule on hand to feed the Rossini's Ethernet input from Ubiquiti?

/\/\ yes that would be, although very, very different platforms / implementations

@The Computer Audiophile  nice review, thanks for the well thought out info.

IMHO there are differences, quite noticeably at times, between optical and Ethernet.  Certainly many, many variables at play but it comes down to preference in the context of each system.  Would love to try a Sig SE someday.

My rig

18 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Roon was running on three different platforms during this review. 

1. ROCK / NUC

2. CAPS Cortes / Windows 10 Pro

3. QNAP NAS

Which of the three platforms was the best sounding during the review?

Thanks

Matt

"I want to know why the musicians are on stage, not where". (John Farlowe)

I enjoyed reading your well written review Chris.

It's hard to believe that it has already been over 6 months since I had my Signature Rendu SE updated to the optical version.  The SE's performance is very impressive.

One area left for audiophile fine-tuning is the choice of one's USB cable to use with the SE. So far, my favorite is the Intona Reference.

Steve Plaskin

@vortecjr

Is the input/output board on the Signature Rendu SE the same as the opticalRendu?

I checked my units and it shows the Signature to have board V1.01 whereas the opticalRendu has board V1.1 and they look very similar in size and layout.  There must be something more to account for the price difference besides the inclusion of the power supply and cabinet on the Sig?

Signature with Tier 2 upgrades is $4,490.  I don't see Tier 3 offered.  Adding an opticalMoudle and FO cable brings it to $4,740.

2 channel : full Innuos suite / Black Cat USB cables / Kii Three BXT

Desktop : Innuos PulseMINI / Roon ROCK / SaBaj A20d amp-DAC / DCA E3 headphones

6 hours ago, fpalm69 said:

@vortecjr

Is the input/output board on the Signature Rendu SE the same as the opticalRendu?

I checked my units and it shows the Signature to have board V1.01 whereas the opticalRendu has board V1.1 and they look very similar in size and layout.  There must be something more to account for the price difference besides the inclusion of the power supply and cabinet on the Sig?

Signature with Tier 2 upgrades is $4,490.  I don't see Tier 3 offered.  Adding an opticalMoudle and FO cable brings it to $4,740.

The two are similar, but different production runs. The Signature Rendu SE was an ultraRendu and power supply in one enclosure. The Signature Rendu SE optical is an opticalRendu and power supply in one enclosure. The Tier 1 and Tier 2 upgrade paths are for fuses, shielding, and select power components. Some of these parts are hard to source or long lead items. FYI the parts for the Tier 2 upgrade arrived so that unit is back in stock as of today.   

Hi Chris, I noticed that you stacked the Emm Labs DV2 on top of the Rossini DAC.  I am sure you are aware that doing that would certainly affect the performance of the DV2. Also, all hi fi components benefit greatly from resonance control footers under it, such as the Ansuz Acoustic Darkz dtc that I used under all my components. They also benefit greatly when stacked on resonance control hi fi racks such as the Critical Mass Systems Maxxum rack and amplifier stand that I used.

8 hours ago, JohnDonaldson said:

@The Computer Audiophile

After reading your review I gave the Seger Greatest Hits album a listen.  My system is considerably more modest than your's but my experience was absolutely WOW as well.  In my case I was feeding my opticalRendu  with files on one of the Sonore 400GB microSD cards.  In my system the microSD card takes the opticalRendu to the next level.  This is especially true for a good many of my Redbook rips, I sit and listen in amazement at the improvement this upgrade has made to my system.  A highly recommended upgrade.

I've been curious about that. A bit pricey I was thinking, esp after investing in Roon, opticalModules etc but you say....? I guess it would be for the creme of the crop. 

SERVER CLOSET (in office directly below living room stereo):NUC 7i5BNH with Roon ROCK (ZeroZone 12V on the NUC)>Cisco 2690L-16PS switch>Sonore opticalModule (Uptone LPS 1.2)>

LIVING ROOM: Sonore opticalRendu Roon version (Sonore Power Supply)> Shunyata Venom USB>Naim DAC V1>Witchhat DIN>Naim NAP 160 Bolt Down>Chord Rumor 2>Audio Physic Compact Classics. OFFICE: opticalModule> Sonore microRendu 1.4> Matrix Mini-i Pro 3> Naim NAP 110>NACA5>KEF Ls50's. BJC 6a and Ghent Catsnake 6a JSSG ethernet; AC cables: Shunyata Venom NR V-10; Audience Forte F3; Ice Age copper/copper; Sean Jacobs CHC PowerBlack, Moon Audio DIN>RCA, USB A>C. Isolation: Herbie's Audio Lab. 

28 minutes ago, Andy Yuen said:

Hi Chris, I noticed that you stacked the Emm Labs DV2 on top of the Rossini DAC.  I am sure you are aware that doing that would certainly affect the performance of the DV2. Also, all hi fi components benefit greatly from resonance control footers under it, such as the Ansuz Acoustic Darkz dtc that I used under all my components. They also benefit greatly when stacked on resonance control hi fi racks such as the Critical Mass Systems Maxxum rack and amplifier stand that I used.

Hi Andy - If your assertions are correct, the performance of the DV2 should be increased by its placement on top of the Rossini because the Rossini has its own feet and limited built-in vibration control. Thus, I'm doubling up.

I'm not a big believer in the vibration control components because I've yet to hear it really do much. I know many people who swear by the stuff and I'm not discounting their experiences at all. I can only go by what I've experienced.