IGNORED

JCAT USB Card FEMTO worth it w/ Gustard U12?

kgturner

Question

My DAC and my media server/computer are on opposite sides of the room. The DAC is in an audio rack & the computer is stored in a actively vented closet. I'm going to do some upgrades to the computer and wondered if adding a JCAT USB card is worth the expense. Currently, my computer's USB out goes to a Gustard U12 which converts the signal to AES/EBU. Then I run an AES/EBU through the wall and down to my DAC (~30 feet). 

I don't have any music greater than 24/192 or an DSD and the only way I could get USB to the DAC is by adding a long active USB cable. Just wondering is it even worth the expense to add the JCAT given the long run of USB I would need to connect direct to my DAC. Or would the JCAT even give that much improvement when plugged straight into the Gustard U12 and I just continue to use AES/EBU?

Kevin T

2 answers to this question

For some DAC's (with AES/EBU input), there's no difference at all with respect to how you drive the AES/EBU input.  If there is difference, I'd be more inclined to update the DAC rather than invest in the JCAT card. OTH, the 30 foot run is a problem for USB; don't know what to advise there -- perhaps stream over a LAN connection, converting to USB closer to the DAC (micro rendu?).

mQa is dead!

On 10/10/2019 at 2:12 PM, kgturner said:

My DAC and my media server/computer are on opposite sides of the room. The DAC is in an audio rack & the computer is stored in a actively vented closet. I'm going to do some upgrades to the computer and wondered if adding a JCAT USB card is worth the expense. Currently, my computer's USB out goes to a Gustard U12 which converts the signal to AES/EBU. Then I run an AES/EBU through the wall and down to my DAC (~30 feet). 

I don't have any music greater than 24/192 or an DSD and the only way I could get USB to the DAC is by adding a long active USB cable. Just wondering is it even worth the expense to add the JCAT given the long run of USB I would need to connect direct to my DAC. Or would the JCAT even give that much improvement when plugged straight into the Gustard U12 and I just continue to use AES/EBU?

Kevin T

Hi Kevin, 

The JCAT USB Card will most definitely improve the sound in your setup if you connect it to Gustard U12 or directly to a USB DAC. If not then you get your money back. Please check for opinions here on the forum, there are many satisfied users. 

Best regards,
Marcin 

JPLAY & JCAT Founder