IGNORED

Samsung 860 QVO 4TB 2.5" Serial ATA-600 via USB

I'm tired of HDDs that I replace every 4-5 years (just in case).

I'm thinking of buying this Samsung 4TB SSD to be used as a mobile disc for my music library that today comprises about 3.2 TB. I use a quite fresh HP laptop as my server (win 10, SSD 250 GB, i5...) and only for music using JRiver. It works great. The question mark is how to use it with USB. I know there are interfaces like them from Plexgear and Delock (both with separat power supply). At the same time I hear sayings that they only work with smaller SSD's.

Other considerations?

The question of SSD having a longer period of trustworthiness is worth examining.  Currently produced consumer xTB sized in particular.  Adding to this potential, electronics in external case could introduce a higher probability for issues/masking signs of them.  SSD monitoring and awareness of subtle model specific changes to be alert for are key to assessing lifespan.

Samsung 840 Pro are the benchmark for real world data on lifespan.  Direct correlation to modern SSD is reasonably worthwhile.  One trend they show is a higher failure rate in the first 1-2 years than can currently be expected.  On the other end, drives passing the 5 year mark in good health could last 10 or more.

So why are you thinking of buying the lower endurance memory model that struggles to think more than the Evo?  Which shows every sign of being the better long term storage option.  Getting considerably greater than 5 years out of a flash memory based working drive is leaning towards the upper not lower end of the price spectrum.  

USB 3.2/USB 4 interfaces to handle 4TB are the least concerning factor here.

Thanks for comments, @rando

I'm not looking for a "lower endurence memory". I'm looking for a reliable memory. I do not consider HDD as reliable. I thank the Lord that I have been very meticulous on making backups since I started ripping my music library (which took 3 years). If not, my files should be lost long time ago. I buy new HDD every 3-4 years to be on the safe side. I do not trust them.

I use SSD for other purposes in the sizes 250 - 500 GB and they work great. The only SSD of 4TB I have found is the Samsung but it is only available as SATA. If there are other ones or better ones I'm open for this as long as they solve my need of space (4TB to cover my files) and sustainable quality plus that they must work with USB.

You also say that USB interfaces is the least concern. I do not agree as this is the main issue I have read about including from the Swedish supplier who can't give any guarantees. I should appreciate if you could give a hint on how to solve it. 

If I read you right, you opinion is that Samsung 840 Pro is not a quality product. Please correct me if this wrong.

Any other experiences and/or recommendations out there?

Samsung 840 PRO is the benchmark for SSD performance up to and beyond your stated 4-5 year replacement issue.  TBW has proven to be a magnitude or more above the stated limit.  Not many other SSD offered this level of performance or durability in 2012.  It is the best quality reference to base legacy SSD on. 

The QVO 4TB is not on the same level as the Evo or Pro currently on sale.  It uses lower endurance memory, it requires more and more in depth calculations by the controller to function, and most importantly it has a fraction of the warranty period or TBW rating of Evo or Pro.  QVO is cheaper for a reason.  Which is why I explicity recommended rethinking your use of it.