sphinxsix

Jimi Hendrix - Songs for Groovy Children.

Rate this topic

Good news for the Band Of Gypsys Fillmore East concerts fans - on November 22 Experience Hendrix and Legacy Recordings will release 'Songs For Groovy Children: The Fillmore East Concerts' on 5 CDs and 'digital' (8 LPs will be available on December 13). The material will be newly remixed by Eddie Kramer. I hope it will sound better than e.g. '2 Nights at the Fillmore' (Vodoo Chile Records 2007). Awaiting moderately anxiously..

BTW - 'Songs for Groovy Children'.? Who comes up with titles like that? IMO it doesn't sound 'groovy' at all..

https://www.jimihendrix.com/news/expansive-cd-lp-box-sets-present-all-four-historic-hendrix-band-of-gypsys-performances-at-the-fillmore-east-newly-mixed-by-eddie-kramer/

The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils. The motions of his spirit are dull as night, and his affections dark as Erebus. Let no such man be trusted. Mark the music.

―  William Shakespeare.

This looks great. I have heard an unofficial release of the Fillmore East shows and while its is compromised by the sound quality, it is still really good. It's about time that we had an official release of these shows by this great but sadly short lived band.

Shame Giles Martin didn't have a go at remastering these. He's done one of the best remastering jobs with both the White Album and Abbey Road recently. I suspect one reason is his hearing is in excellent condition.

He even says his father George was suffering hearing losses. Have to say Eddie Kramer would be in this basket also.

I don't feel Eddie Kramer has added much if anything to Hendix's remasters, mind you not sure what he had to work with, was that good to start with. A new set of younger ears would have helped and even Abbey Road studios. 

Personally Hendix's releases post death are a mixed bag, half of the material could have been left in the vaults.

39 minutes ago, robocop said:

Shame Giles Martin didn't have a go at remastering these. He's done one of the best remastering jobs with both the White Album and Abbey Road recently. I suspect one reason is his hearing is in excellent condition.

He even says his father George was suffering hearing losses. Have to say Eddie Kramer would be in this basket also.

I don't feel Eddie Kramer has added much if anything to Hendix's remasters, mind you not sure what he had to work with, was that good to start with. A new set of younger ears would have helped and even Abbey Road studios. 

Personally Hendix's releases post death are a mixed bag, half of the material could have been left in the vaults.

I don't think hearing loss from age has much to do with it, unless it is extreme and not just a "rolled off high end". George Martin retired long before his death b/c he was going deaf. 

Main listening (small home office):

Surge protector +_iFi  AC iPurifiers >Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Conditioning+Isolation>CAPS IV Pipeline Server + Sonore 12V PS>Kii Control>Kii Three >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Listening: CAPS Pipeline>IFi iOne DAC>Schiit Freya>Kii Three . Also an SBT and a RB Pi 3B+ running piCorePlayer as an SBT emulator. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

3 hours ago, robocop said:

do yourself a favour ; listen to EK's 5.1 Electric Ladyland ; ie HQP allows u to matrix it to 2 channels if needed...

I❤️ HQP and convolution (REW + RePhase for correcting frequency and time domains for the actual results presented below)

Currently investigating Embedded on mid 2012 15" rMacBP> 2.0 certified Supra > Green Regen > NAA (Miska's Linux image on MB Air)> TEAC UD 501> (balanced output) >Cardas Golden Ref> JRRG all balanced pre> Cabasse system with clean deep LF extension via 36 cm active drivers, played live loud

Proofing B&K C @ -9 copie-Modifier-2.jpg