IGNORED

Streamer with AO versus streaming DAC

fajita

So, I am on the path to doing this experiment for myself, but have been burning to ask this question of forum members here:

I have a Roon Based playback system, and have found the best sound quality to be a two PC based system.  Roon core on a dedicated PC, with a linear power supply, Win Server 2019 GUI, and audiophile optimizer - and a second streamer PC, also on linear power supply, Win Server 2019 core, and AO with USB out.  All of this into a Direct Stream DAC from PS Audio.

I have become intrigued by certain DACs with streaming built in, wondering if the time/energy and cost of a separate streamer to be worth it (especially considering the cost of the Windows Server OS).  At RMAF, I got a lot of different opinions - The Simaudio and dCS guys seem to think a separate streamer is not worth the cost while anyone who makes a streamer says otherwise.  From my perspective, I would be willing to spring for a dCS Bartok or a high end Simaudio DAC (upcoming model to be positioned below the 780d) if I could both improve sound quality and eliminate an extra box.

Has anyone here compared a streamer built around a PC running Windows Server and AO (effectively acting as an Ethernet to digital converter) to an ethernet direct connection on a high end streaming DAC?

Thanks for your opinions in advance.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/6/2019 at 10:12 AM, fajita said:

Well, I suppose that I will have to report back after I do some experimentation.  About to establish a relationship with a couple of nearby dealers and see if any demos are possible.

Anything to report yet, @fajita ? I am very interested in this topic, as I am looking for a DAC/Pre, and a couple have built-in streamers.

Main System: QNAP TS-451+ NAS > Silent Angel Bonn N8 > Sonore opticalModule Deluxe v2 > Corning SMF with Finisar FTLF1318P3BTL SFPs > Uptone EtherREGEN > exaSound PlayPoint and e32 Mk-II DAC > Meitner MTR-101 Plus monoblocks > Bamberg S5-MTM sealed standmount speakers. 

Crown XLi 1500 powering  AV123 Rocket UFW10 stereo subwoofers

Upgraded power on all switches, renderer and DAC. 

Hi audiobomber,

Not yet.  I have to drive a ways to get to the dealers, then hopefully work out a deal where I can demo the products without my streamer in the mix.  Now that I know others are interested, I will make it a point to post followup when it happens.

I would add that the Simaudio guy I spoke with at RMAF seemed enthusiastic that there were technical advantages to having the streamer in the DAC, but the proof will ultimately be in the listening.

Thanks.

23 hours ago, fajita said:

I have to drive a ways to get to the dealers, then hopefully work out a deal where I can demo the products without my streamer in the mix.  Now that I know others are interested, I will make it a point to post followup when it happens.

I would add that the Simaudio guy I spoke with at RMAF seemed enthusiastic that there were technical advantages to having the streamer in the DAC, but the proof will ultimately be in the listening.

Nothing much available within four hours of my home. I will attend the Toronto Audio Fest this week and should have an opportunity to hear some things. Elac is exhibiting, and they have shown the DDP-2 at other shows. It's top of my list right now, the only thing that has ALL of the features I want.

I can think of some advantages to a DAC with internal streamer: fewer connections, no cable, synchronization with the master clock. 

Main System: QNAP TS-451+ NAS > Silent Angel Bonn N8 > Sonore opticalModule Deluxe v2 > Corning SMF with Finisar FTLF1318P3BTL SFPs > Uptone EtherREGEN > exaSound PlayPoint and e32 Mk-II DAC > Meitner MTR-101 Plus monoblocks > Bamberg S5-MTM sealed standmount speakers. 

Crown XLi 1500 powering  AV123 Rocket UFW10 stereo subwoofers

Upgraded power on all switches, renderer and DAC.