IGNORED

Output power of UltraCap LPS-1/1.2?

46 minutes ago, Abtr said:

What is the output power of the UltraCap LPS-1 and LPS-1.2 units? The Uptone website states that the LPS-1 outputs 1 Amp and the LPS-1.2 outputs 1.1 Amp. Is this output current independent of the selected output voltage? I would expect the maximum current to be higher at e.g. 5V than at 7V, with a fixed max output power P = V x A.

I'm planning to power two 5V devices with a single UltraCap unit using a DC splitter cable. At 5V, one device consumes 500mA (2.5W) and the other consumes 700mA (3.5W). So the total power needed will be 6W or 1.2A at 5V. Would that be a problem? Thanks!

Hi Abtr:

The UltraCap output current is the same regardless of output voltage setting. (1.1A at 5V, 1.1A at 12V)

Actually, every unit of both the original LPS-1 and the LPS-1.2 has been individually certified on my bench to be able to deliver a continuous 1.1A (peaks above that of course, but that is a complicated subject). Most units make it to about 1.13A, and some as high as 1.18A.  But they all trip into over-current protection mode (this is software controlled) before reaching 1.2A.

If you are certain that the two 5V devices you wish to attach actually draw the currents you listed, then no, you won't be able to do it with a single UltraCap unit.  Easiest way to know if it will work is just to try it.  If the load is too great the LED on the UltraCap unit will flash red and the output voltage will go off (actually, it flashes red 5 times, then green once as it restores output and checks to see if load is still too much, then red 5 times again if it is--repeating).

Hope this information is helpful to you.

Best,

--Alex C.

1 hour ago, jamesg11 said:

Apropos, imitch thought that the RME ADI-2 dac wouldn’t manage thru startup powered by the ultracap - any thoughts, info?

Correct. The RME ADI-2 has been shown by several to be too large a load for our UltraCap units.

Some DACs we do know work well with UltraCap:

Chord Qutest

Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 Digital

Soekris dac1321

Those are just off the top of my head, there are many others I'm sure.  Plus lots of DDCs, USB conditioners, and streamer/renderers.

22 minutes ago, jamesg11 said:

/& 1 more thing ... macmini 2012 with uptone mods - 12V,  but what Amps are required?  JS-2 now runs it, looking maybe to flip it to another psu.

The phrasing of your question/statement is a little confusing, but I can tell you that a 2012 Mac mini needs a 12V supply capable of at least 4.5 amps.