IGNORED

dietpi-update and Allo kernel mods

I am running a new USBridge Signature board with eMMC memory and DietPI plus Allo GUI preinstalled system. My update experience is probably relevant to other Allo DietPi systems, but it might be different for Sparky vs. full Raspberry Pi vs. my Raspberry Pi compute module.

Soon after achieving Internet connectivity, I logged in to the system, and saw the message:

dietpi-update    = Run now to update DietPi (from v6.18.14 to v6.25.3)

In the middle of the update, dietpi-update produced the following query:

************************************** begin quote

DietPi-Patchfile

[INFO] RPi-Update detected                                           

In our effort to improve system stability, and, offer software        
                                          installations which build custom modules (eg: WireGuard), we can no   
                                          longer support systems with non-stock-APT kernel installed (eg:       
                                          rpi-update).                                                           │
                                                                                                                  │
                                          Would you like to revert to the APT kernel now, ensuring stability and

<Ok>                       <Cancel>

**************************************** end quote

It sounds as though this refers to kernel modifications by Allo, so I selected <Cancel>.

Explicit instructions regarding safe updates to DietPi systems on Allo products would be very helpful. If my guesses were correct, then there is a substantial risk of oopsies when running dietpi-udate. Perhaps there is an option to prevent undesirable kernel updates?

On 10/5/2019 at 5:07 AM, odonnell said:

I am running a new USBridge Signature board with eMMC memory and DietPI plus Allo GUI preinstalled system. My update experience is probably relevant to other Allo DietPi systems, but it might be different for Sparky vs. full Raspberry Pi vs. my Raspberry Pi compute module.

Soon after achieving Internet connectivity, I logged in to the system, and saw the message:

dietpi-update    = Run now to update DietPi (from v6.18.14 to v6.25.3)

In the middle of the update, dietpi-update produced the following query:

************************************** begin quote

DietPi-Patchfile

[INFO] RPi-Update detected                                           

In our effort to improve system stability, and, offer software        
                                          installations which build custom modules (eg: WireGuard), we can no   
                                          longer support systems with non-stock-APT kernel installed (eg:       
                                          rpi-update).                                                           │
                                                                                                                  │
                                          Would you like to revert to the APT kernel now, ensuring stability and

<Ok>                       <Cancel>

**************************************** end quote

It sounds as though this refers to kernel modifications by Allo, so I selected <Cancel>.

Explicit instructions regarding safe updates to DietPi systems on Allo products would be very helpful. If my guesses were correct, then there is a substantial risk of oopsies when running dietpi-udate. Perhaps there is an option to prevent undesirable kernel updates?

Thank you for your feedback.

preintsalled OS with APT kernel ,  so opt cancel on these step.   if opted for <ok> then Ethernet driver needs to update manually.

for info :

3) UsbridgSig ethernet driver version check using modinfo : run below command , correct version is v0.1.4

modinfo ax88179_178a | grep version

version: v0.1.4

http://3.230.113.73:9011/Allocom/DietPi/info

Allo.com Tech. Support

I'm quite irritated

As far as i understand from another question here in the forum, it is absolutely ok to use Standard raspbian on USBridge Signature.

I understand the only downside is a slower ethernet port, but 100 MBit/s are fine for me.

So my question to @ALLOsupport is: Is it ok to use standard raspbian with standard kernel? Is the lowering of ethernet speed to 100 Mbit/s the only downside? Will the "audio usb output" recognized and work without problems?

best regards

4 hours ago, senior.god said:

I'm quite irritated

As far as i understand from another question here in the forum, it is absolutely ok to use Standard raspbian on USBridge Signature.

I understand the only downside is a slower ethernet port, but 100 MBit/s are fine for me.

So my question to @ALLOsupport is: Is it ok to use standard raspbian with standard kernel? Is the lowering of ethernet speed to 100 Mbit/s the only downside? Will the "audio usb output" recognized and work without problems?

best regards

to work on Raspbian,  Asix ethernet driver has to update.

Not only speed , Audio playing from NAS or network streaming drop-outs (noise in frequent intervals) noticed with default asix driver, especially with Gigabit router networks.

Allo.com Tech. Support

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/6/2019 at 7:08 AM, ALLOsupport said:

Thank you for your feedback.

preintsalled OS with APT kernel ,  so opt cancel on these step.   if opted for <ok> then Ethernet driver needs to update manually.

for info :

3) UsbridgSig ethernet driver version check using modinfo : run below command , correct version is v0.1.4

modinfo ax88179_178a | grep version

version: v0.1.4

http://3.230.113.73:9011/Allocom/DietPi/info

i don't know why but the v6.25.3 update with the usbridge sig fails for me, it terminates somewhere in the update process then i get login failed on the allo gui page.

In Allo's defense, there are two issues here.

The Ethernet driver issue.  And I was able to install and run buster lite, but there is a patch/script documented on the allo site you need to do.  It was hanging trying to download stuff until I did the patch, but after all was good, for ethernet and running.  I'm not sure what speed I was running at, but I don't care about speeds higher than 100mb.

Other issue is with some usb dacs and usb/i2s interfaces, you can get a popping noise.  I hear it when running stuff at dsd256, but their latest dietpi version fixes the popping noise.  BTW, I compare the noise to record surface noise for anyone who does vinyl.  I listen on headphones which probably makes it more noticeable.  I also didn't hear at 128, but was annoying at 256.  I'm pretty sure that Allo only found this problem recently, they put out the new dietpi version pretty quickly after I was told the popping was a software problem.

If I didn't have the popping noise, I'd run the previous dietpi.  AFAIK, the only reason to run the latest dietpi, which is actually based on an older kernal, is for the popping noise.  Older kernal was ok, they broke something with the newer kernals.  

And if you don't have the popping noise, I expect buster lite would run fine, after running their script file.