Temporal_Dissident

Need Perfect Speakers for Acoustically Hostile Placement

Rate this topic

Seeking speaker recommendation. Here is the situation: 

Cabinetry in our kitchen has two cabinets for speakers. See photo below. This is next to the ceiling,...about 7-8' off the ground. For the last 8 years, these have had a pair of B&W 705 speakers, wired to a multi-channel amp pushing about 60w. And it has sounded terrible. 

There are several issues which, I believe, make this an especially "hostile" environment for speakers: 

• No fixed listening position. It is a kitchen. We are all over the place. 
  • Next to ceiling...I imagine this creates unhealthy reflections
  • Inside a box. Ugh. It is what it is. Should this disqualify any rear-ported designs? 

New system:

• New amp will deliver 140wpc of class A/B power
  • Rebuilt "grills" to allow much more open space
  • I may treat the inside of the cabinetry with absorptive material (should I?)
  • Bookshelf speakers will lay on their side, likely on dampening foam like Auralex Mopads that will reduce vibration and allow some downward tilt

Now I need to choose speakers. Any suggestions...? 

Thanks in advance.  

Kitchen Speaker Cabinet.jpg

I see they bored a hole for an acoustic port!

Yes, disqualify any rear-ported designs.

Aim them down a bit

Consider running them in mono

Easy Listening music for the kitchen...

"The overwhelming majority [of audiophiles] have very little knowledge, if any, about the most basic principles and operating characteristics of audio equipment. They often base their purchasing decisions on hearsay, and the preaching of media sages. Unfortunately, because of commercial considerations, much information is rooted in increasing revenue, not in assisting the audiophile. It seems as if the only requirements for becoming an "authority" in the world of audio is a keyboard."

-- Bruce Rozenblit of Transcendent Sound

I only have lists of active speakers for a similar hostile setup (office corners), but a modern LS3/5a....

You might add some fill speakers on countertops.

I would NOT spend for super high quality speakers given the setup

"The overwhelming majority [of audiophiles] have very little knowledge, if any, about the most basic principles and operating characteristics of audio equipment. They often base their purchasing decisions on hearsay, and the preaching of media sages. Unfortunately, because of commercial considerations, much information is rooted in increasing revenue, not in assisting the audiophile. It seems as if the only requirements for becoming an "authority" in the world of audio is a keyboard."

-- Bruce Rozenblit of Transcendent Sound

Strongly recommend that whatever you buy, when laying on its side that you support the speakers as firmly as possible at the four corner point extremities only - and experiment with what precisely you use to do the supporting there ... the benefits should be a 'tighter' sound, more convincing bass - when you get closer to a good match in the materials.

Frank

http://artofaudioconjuring.blogspot.com/

Ahhh, Mankind ... Porsche intellect, Trabant emotions ...

8 hours ago, fas42 said:

Strongly recommend that whatever you buy, when laying on its side that you support the speakers as firmly as possible at the four corner point extremities only - and experiment with what precisely you use to do the supporting there ... the benefits should be a 'tighter' sound, more convincing bass - when you get closer to a good match in the materials.

Interesting. So you would not be a fan of these:

https://audioengineusa.com/shop/accessories/ds2-desktop-stand-pair/

OR

https://www.auralex.com/product/mopad-mopad-xl/

???

In that situation, I'd skip the amp and go with powered speakers that also have built in ability to use DSP to account for placement: KEF powered speakers and Genelec come to mind. There are others. 

Or go for a decent sounding lifestyle type speaker designed to be used on a shelf

something like this:

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/hogtalare-true-hifi-wireless-sound-for-everyone/x/11705801#/

I can tell you how the Hogtalare sounds about a month from now.

Main listening (small home office):

Surge protector +_iFi  AC iPurifiers >Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Conditioning+Isolation>CAPS IV Pipeline Server + Sonore 12V PS>Kii Control>Kii Three >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Listening: CAPS Pipeline>IFi iOne DAC>Schiit Freya>Kii Three . Also an SBT and a RB Pi 3B+ running piCorePlayer as an SBT emulator. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

14 hours ago, Temporal_Dissident said:

Correct. My experiences are that the best sound is derived when the structure of the speaker cabinet can be firmly connected to a much greater mass - the vibration of the speaker box as the drivers operate is coupled to this separate weight, attenuating the distortion generated by the cabinet not being able to dissipate the energy, when lacking the connection.

The corners of the cabinet are the most inert part of the cabinet, so the energy is transferred most effectively by using these points ... of course, if the surface one couples to at these points is very flimsy, or light, then there will be little value in doing this. In these situations I bring in the heaviest, non-metallic, slab of something to provide damping mass - again, I would just suggest experimenting; see what you find happens ...

Frank

http://artofaudioconjuring.blogspot.com/

Ahhh, Mankind ... Porsche intellect, Trabant emotions ...