IGNORED

Need Perfect Speakers for Acoustically Hostile Placement

Strongly recommend that whatever you buy, when laying on its side that you support the speakers as firmly as possible at the four corner point extremities only - and experiment with what precisely you use to do the supporting there ... the benefits should be a 'tighter' sound, more convincing bass - when you get closer to a good match in the materials.

14 hours ago, Temporal_Dissident said:

Correct. My experiences are that the best sound is derived when the structure of the speaker cabinet can be firmly connected to a much greater mass - the vibration of the speaker box as the drivers operate is coupled to this separate weight, attenuating the distortion generated by the cabinet not being able to dissipate the energy, when lacking the connection.

The corners of the cabinet are the most inert part of the cabinet, so the energy is transferred most effectively by using these points ... of course, if the surface one couples to at these points is very flimsy, or light, then there will be little value in doing this. In these situations I bring in the heaviest, non-metallic, slab of something to provide damping mass - again, I would just suggest experimenting; see what you find happens ...