IGNORED

Schiit setup troubleshooting

vingard

Question

I have 2 Aegir amps set up in monoblock configuration. The Schiit Freya S serves as my pre-amp. My source is a Lumin U1 Mini, connected via optical to a Chord Qutest DAC. The Qutest is connected to the Freya via single-ended connections, and the Freya is connected to the 2 Aegir amps via XLR. So, single-ended input into the Freya, then balanced output to the Aegir amps - this setup is not producing any audio. I have confirmed that there is a signal traveling to the Freya from the DAC. As recommended by Schiit, I am using the NEXUS modes on the Freya pre-amp (i.e. active modes, which should convert the single-ended signal to balanced), to no avail. Any thoughts on what might be causing this?

9 answers to this question

1 hour ago, vingard said:

There is no headphone output on the Freya (at least, not that I am aware of).  The setup is Lumin U1 -> Chord Qutest -> Schiit Freya S -> Schiit Aegir (x2) -> Buchardt S400.

Ah, you're 100% correct on the headphone output not being there. My mistake. 

Have you tried to move your speaker cables to different terminals on the amps?

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

8 hours ago, vingard said:

Great, thanks.  Will give this a shot when I get home this evening. 

I think Chris has given you the answer.  XLR on the Aegis is mono input, and you have to connect speakers differently.  

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

I checked my speaker<->amp connections last night and it turns out that they are connected correctly.  I removed the Chord Qutest from my system and inserted a Schiit Yggdrasil in its place, connected to the Freya S via balanced XLR.  Now the system works perfectly (fully balanced throughout).  Perhaps the Qutest is the issue - I will need to test that separately this weekend.