IGNORED

Initializing Ethernet connection with new headless USBridge Sig

odonnell

I just received a new USBridge Signature board with 32GB eMMC and 5V power supply. I have a laptop running the latest Ubuntu and managing the network with NetworkManager.

Is there a document with explicit instructions for getting started with just the items listed above? I searched but haven't found one.

• I inserted the eMMC (small chance that I mistook the Card Reader for the eMMC, but I don't think so).
  • I connected the power supply, and the board appeared to boot, with a green LED lit on the upper right side and another one glowing from time to time.
  • I connected an Ethernet cable (which worked previously with other devices) between the USBridge Sig and my laptop. LEDs at both ends lit in a way that looks appropriate.
  • I saw the Ethernet network on my laptop at 169.254.103.231 and mask 255.255.0.0, but I could not get a ping response from the USBridge Sig, neither by IP address nor dietpi.local.
  • I used nmap to try all IP addresses from 169.254.0.0 to 169.254.255.255 and found only the laptop's address.
  • I tried AdaFruit's Pi Finder, which did not find the USBridge Sig.
  • I tried several variations on the NetworkManager configuration of the Ethernet interface, with no success.

I suspect that there is a simple way to assign or discover the IP address on the USBridge Sig, and perhaps the document with instructions already exists.

What else do you expect? Unless your laptop is configured to act as a router or as an access point, it will not provide any IP address to the USBridge Sig. Instead, connect the USBridge Sig to your router and then check if you can access it via its web interface. 

I solved the problem by running (on my Linux laptop):

> sudo dnsmasq -i enp0s25 -p 0 -h -F 169.254.103.232,169.254.103.240

It seems that "-p 0" is required to keep dnsmasq from failing due to another DNS listener on port 53. "-F" seems to be required to start the DHCP service, or perhaps just to introduce a range of addresses.

"enp0s25" is my Linux host's name for the ethernet interface, often denoted "eth0". Network manager was bringing up my Linux host as 169.254.103.231 (discover these with "ifconfig"), so I chose a range of IP addresses following that.

Now I am seeing the USBridge Signature host at 169.254.103.238 (I discovered it with "nmap") and the domain name dietpi.local (tried it on a hunch). I have no idea how the domain name got activated, but it's kewl. I see the Allo interface at http://dietpi.local/allo/public/index.php/login and I'm trying to figure out how to log in. I expect to be OK from here.

So, it appears that the USBridge Signature boots with a DHCP client trying the Ethernet interface to get an IPv4 address. There may also be an absolute default address, but I haven't found that, and probably won't need it.

I improved the solution by running

> sudo dnsmasq -i enp0s25 -z -h -F 10.42.0.2,10.42.0.10

on my Linux laptop (-z option instead of -p 0). The IP address used for the Ethernet changed, too, but I am not sure why. That was done by the Network Manager on the laptop, probably due to some configuration change that I did not understand..

Running dnsmasq in this way lets it provide DNS service to the USBridge connected by point-to-point Ethernet, without interfering with other DNS resolutions. The USBridge dietPi system now can ping worldwide Internet hosts by IP address or by domain name.

This interim solution should allow flexible updating and testing of software on the USBridge while awaiting the cable run for the final wired Ethernet connection to a router.