IGNORED

The myth of "The Absolute Sound"

barrows

1 hour ago, Fitzcaraldo215 said:

Who cares about the original sound field?  It betters the stereo paradigm by a fair bit, at least for classical music.

By that I mean two things.  Objectively, by having sound sources better able to reproduce the enveloping surround and a center channel to improve imaging.  Subjectively, on an “absolute sound” scale, it delivers clearly more realism.  

I do, for one. In classical music, it is part and parcel of the concert experience. To be able to even partially recreate it on one’s home system is to be magically transported to the place where the performance is taking place. I.E it is an inseparable part of High-Fidelity and the reason why stereophonic sound was invented in the first place!

Of course, if all one listens to is pop and rock, then I can understand the indifference because, by definition, the original “sound field” doesn’t exist anyway. That’s fine. That music is not trying to recreate a performance, but rather to create one that hasn’t existed before. There are lots of recordings of Beethoven’s 5th Symphony recorded by lots of orchestras, but The Rolling Stones original recording of “I Can’t Get No Satisfaction” was the first and before they recorded it, it didn’t exist. Do you get what I’m saying?

George

6 minutes ago, barrows said:

I never said, or asserted, any such thing!

And I never intimated that YOU did. I just said that there are some audio types who do not want accurate sound. Many just like big bass and bright, splashy highs that sound spectacular as opposed to accurate. 

By the way, when making a recording, I don't have to have an accurate aural memory. I'm right there and slip off the headphones and listen to the real thing WHILE  I'm recording it!

But the reality is you don't need a great aural memory to remember that real and reproduced sound different. And we, as the audio community, are "there" when they no longer do!

George

2 minutes ago, fas42 said:

Nope ... that's the great thing about the music recording archive that we have - there's enough information on every one of them for most of us to be able to enjoy a subjectively captivating listening experience.

Again Frank, that's your unsupported and, I must say, unfounded opinion. 

The real myth is that "your high fidelity system" is in fact, accurate - it's not, and not by a long margin - less than pristine recordings make all the shortcomings of the playback chain extremely obvious - unfortunately, that's where that dreaded 'sorting' is required ... 😜.

And "your" system is about as far from High-fidelity (short of a portable radio) as one can get. Accuracy, like Fidelity is to a degree. There's always room for improvement until there is no gap between real and reproduced. No one believes that we are there yet, and it's more than possible that we will never get there (although I'm not saying that it's impossible).

George

14 hours ago, fas42 said:

Yep, that's what happens ... the 'miracle' is that this can be the case for just about every recording you have,😊

Permit me to doubt. There are certain things that I listen for in a recording, and believe me, if they ain’t there, they AIN’T THERE and no amount of tweaking one’s playback system will put them there, either! The way you talk, one would think that you could put an acoustically recorded 78rpm shellac record from the 1920’s on your stereo and it would come out of your ghetto-blaster speakers sounding like a state-of-the-art 24-bit/192 KHz digital recording, in stereo, yet!

George

1 hour ago, Ralf11 said:

or selecting thru dozens or hundred of caps, etc. to find ones that are really close to spec., or matched...

This is a marketing ploy, and not at all necessary to SQ. Having designed and built many amplifiers, both valve and SS over the years, I can say with confidence that +/- 10% for resistors and +/-20% for capacitors make absolutely no difference to performance. After all, before about the mid 1970’s, engineers used slide rules to design electronics. Slide rules are very imprecise, most resistors were 10-20%  off of their designated values and the design calculations were “guestimates” at best.

George

This sort of fussiness is completely unnecessary, IME - yes, it may help when one is right on the boundary of getting the SQ good enough; but it isn't a key requirement. But one area where maximum fussiness as regards parts quality counts is power supplies - huhh??!! Well, unfortunately, most audio gear is far too twitchy to the quality of the mains coming in, and the stability, noisiness of the voltage rails feeding the key circuitry ... the first competent rig used a monster Perreaux power amp - and the power supply was a key weakness for it. Hence, over time it was steadily butchered, to become visually a mess - to sort this issue.

On that we can agree.

George

16 hours ago, sandyk said:

Hi George

I disagree as far as Input capacitors go such as high quality Polypropylene etc. , in that the type and tolerance of the capacitors can cause some imaging problems, or even quite noticeable differences in SQ.

I feel certain that Alex Crespi would agree too, with their range of MusiCap Film + Foil capacitors.

Kind Regards

Alex

Never noticed that tolerance on cap values made any appreciable difference. Cap types, OTOH, are very important. Polypropylene caps replace paper and Mylar caps, and Polystyrene to replace ceramic.

The biggest rebuild I ever did was to “resto-mod” a Harman-Kardon Citation I preamp. Using low-noise film resistors, premium low DA caps, Alps pots, gold-plated single-hole RCA jacks, etc. I kick myself every time I think about allowing myself to sell it. It sounded unbelievably great. It was pretty too. I had the oiled walnut cabinet for it!

George