IGNORED

Innuos PhoenixUSB

FredM

On 4/4/2020 at 1:04 PM, Blackmorec said:

They obviously never heard a DC3. It literally transforms their product, making a far bigger difference than adding the AQVox SE in the first place. In fact I first bought a DC2 because of that silly message from AQVox. Once run in, the difference it made was so profound I traded it straight back against a DC3 with Mundorf caps.  

What is the cost of a DC3 and how /where can one source It?

TP-LInk 1200 WiFi router>Transparent Audio ethernet cable>Innuos PhoenixNet Switch>Muon Pro ethernet cable>Muon Pro>Grimm Mu2>AudioQuest Dragon XLR>NAD M23> Falcon 2024 Limited Edition LS35a & REL T7Xi sub. Synergistic Research Atmosphere Excite SX powers cords>Puritan Audio 156 pwr conditioner W/Ground Master City.

• 5 weeks later...

I was ready to push the button on a Zenith Mk III and a Phoenix. I’ve kind of paused that after reading John Darko‘s new review on the Phoenix. In the review, he felt the Phoenix  brought a positive improvement to the sound with the Zenth MKII SE but when mated with the Zenith MK III he felt there was a softening effect that diminished the resolution in the area of drive and impact. I would anticipate that the Phoenix would reduce a lot of hash and noise. Obviously with more refinement there less grain and harshness, but that did not appear to be what he was describing.  Has anybody else experienced I softening of the musical edges with the Phoenix mated to Zenith Mark III? 

TP-LInk 1200 WiFi router>Transparent Audio ethernet cable>Innuos PhoenixNet Switch>Muon Pro ethernet cable>Muon Pro>Grimm Mu2>AudioQuest Dragon XLR>NAD M23> Falcon 2024 Limited Edition LS35a & REL T7Xi sub. Synergistic Research Atmosphere Excite SX powers cords>Puritan Audio 156 pwr conditioner W/Ground Master City.

1 hour ago, Hiker said:

You read that about the Zenith mk3 in Darko latest review of the Phoenix? Hmm  , i re-read that review , was it someone else’s review ?

No, it was penned by John Darko, his actual comment was “Interestingly, the Phoenix pushed the ZENith MKIII’s sound signature further from the Statement’s which, sans Phoenix, offered more sparkle and low-level jump factor”.

On 6/4/2020 at 7:29 PM, thyname said:

Do you already have a ZENith MK3? That would be your first step. You can always try or buy the PhoenixUSB later.

The fact that the Zenith SE MK2 was introduced prior the Zenith MK3 and is superior to the MK3 never made much sense to on a performance and marketing strategy. The MK3 could have been as good as the SE and the difference is only a few thousand dollars.  It’s a little frustrating that their isn’t a Zenith that sounds as good as the older SE to  partner with Phoenix now and the Statement is 6-7 thousand more than a Zenith MK3 and Phoenix combo. I just missed a used SE that sold for $3700 by a day ago. 

On 6/4/2020 at 7:29 PM, thyname said:

Do you already have a ZENith MK3? That would be your first step. You can always try or buy the PhoenixUSB later.

5 hours ago, Hiker said:

John Darko compared the Zenith 3 and the once flagship SE 2 apparently for two days , it’s all there if you listened to what he said , as a owner of the Zenith 3 and Phoenix I would suggest you go to a Innuos dealer and arrange to take a Zenith 3 home to audition in your own system then borrow a Phoenix.

I asked , the SE 2 is obsolete with no future upgrades will be offered according to a dealer however future upgrades will be offered with current line up of servers once a suitable North American rep can be found .

The purchase of a Zenith 3 was a good solid move at up grading the sound quality of my system the Phoenix added another leap forward, listen for yourself.

It’s a little surprising that Innuos will no longer supporting any SE upgrades considering its a product that just cycled two years ago. I would imagine the coming new Innuos OS will still load into the SE, if that’s not the case, there will be some very unhappy SE owners. The new OS is supposed to sound better. If there were some other potential upgrades coming to the Mark III I would be more likey purchase now. 

I live in a very rural area. The drive to nearest dealer would be a 12 Hour road trip, so not too practical for an audition. I think purchasing a Innuos with out an audition is a pretty safe leap of faith.  I’ve read so much about the Innous that I'm confident it would sound better than either the SOtM sMS Ultra or Sonore UltraRenu which are my bench marks I need to eclipse.

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/2/2020 at 6:47 PM, austinpop said:

Hey Alan,

Going even further OT — I didn't put this in my review, but I had the Phoenix when I was transitioning from Lush^2 to Sablon 2020 USB, so I did compare:

• SE > Lush^2 > Phoenix > Lush^2 > HMS ... with
  • SE > Sablon 2020 USB > Phoenix > Sablon 2020 USB > HMS.

Much as I love the Lush^2, there is indeed a "next level" for USB cables, and the Sablon 2020 is my favorite.

I know how eager you are to spend even more ££ on cables. 😎

I’m getting close to making my Phoenix purchase. I have several USB cables on the short list, one being the Danacable True Steam and the other being the Sablon 2020.  The Phoenix will add another power cord and USB cable.    I’m reluctant to get a powered USB cable more mess (as you call it, spaghetti). Is sonic improvement of the active version of the  Sablon 2020 worth dealing with another AC plug ? Maybe a better question would be, would the passive version be your first choice if the active wasn’t available?

17 minutes ago, elan120 said:

That will depend on whether your DAC require the 5V from USB to make the handshake or not.  Most of the DACs do require having 5V be present to work, and this is not the same where USB cable needs to plug into an AC receptacle via an AC plug.

Ok, got it,  I thought it was an active shielding

• 3 weeks later...

Not sure if this is the correct venue for this question, but this is probably close. I do not use Roon with my Zenith, I only use iPeng. On my iPad display for iPeng the volume control (bottom right side) is fully down and not adjustable, it cannot be raised . On every server and associated GUI the volume controls had to be fully up for the highest resolution. What am I missing here. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/29/2020 at 4:55 PM, MarkusBarkus said:

Anyone compared a Triode Wire "Discrete" USB cable with the Phoenix vs. the Sablon 2020? 

I just yesterday began a Phoenix audition. Right off the bat sound was excellent on some jazz streams and local files (Aurender ACS10), but female voices were not what I would call "right." 

It's early, I get that. Unit has ample usage in dealer's personal system, however.

Details:
Dedicated AC // UberBuss power correction-supply // Oyaide Tunami power cable to Phoenix // Straightwire USB to Phoenix // Discrete USB to MScaler...

Thanks!

Did you ever get your Phoenix sounding right?