IGNORED

Innuos PhoenixUSB

FredM

My system started with a Zenith MkII SE where I tried a few connection solutions, including several USB cables and an SoTM TX-USBUltra with sPS-500.  I did compare 75cm and 1m Audioquest cables and could hear very little, if any difference. Certainly there were far bigger differences between various cable brands. The USB cable I eventually settled on, which to my ear sounded more natural and head and shoulders better than similarly priced alternatives was the Synergistic Research Atmosphere X Ref which provided some real magic in terms of purity and immersive soundstage

But the reason for this post was to let you know about one of the most significant upgrades I did....3 actually. The first was adding a Sean Jacobs designed and built DC3 power supply to the AQVox SE....if you like what the Phoenix does, you will for sure like what the DC3 brings to the party.  It absolutely transforms the AQVox, adds huge amounts of rhythmic drive, ambient detail, soundstage size and ‘boogy factor’. With the DC3 in circuit the rhythmic interaction between musicians will remind you more than anything of live music gigs, where you can feel the musicians having a good time. 

From there, I added a Ghent Audio Neotech JSSG360 DC cable, which brought added dimensionality, focus and greater detail, heard as sound stage ‘texture’. The soundstage becomes more holistic. Finally I added a Nenon developed and built DC cable, using the same topology as the Neotech, but substituting the 10x more expensive Mundorf Silver Gold cable.....in the context of a really revealing system this is another jaw dropping upgrade, adding true holographic imaging and incredible dynamics, which again makes the music sound ‘real’ in that its actually produced by the real instruments or vocalists. Details of how to build a Nenon Mundorf SG cable can be found in the ‘Building a DIY Music Server’ thread on this forum. 

They obviously never heard a DC3. It literally transforms their product, making a far bigger difference than adding the AQVox SE in the first place. In fact I first bought a DC2 because of that silly message from AQVox. Once run in, the difference it made was so profound I traded it straight back against a DC3 with Mundorf caps.  

My DC3 is a fixed voltage. If i remember well, the AQVox SE requires 5V. I assume the AQVox paragraph was a blanket statement about LPSs. But as far as the DC2 and DC3 are concerned the statement was simply wrong. The difference is neither subtle nor trivial.  I’ve no idea how other PSs will perform.  

• 2 months later...

I have to say that Darko’s comment is rather counter-intuitive, given that the Phoenix’s additional power supply rails, 3 ppb clock and optimised circuitry’s main contributions are;

• improved timing, rhythmic drive and rhythmic interplay
  • greater treble extension (sparkle, shimmer and transparency)
  • Improved microdynamics (initial note percussion, bloom and decay)
  • Soundstage focus and specificity

All of which make the music far more engaging. 

Of course there are other variables....for example the extra USB cable

The Statement basically has 2 USB outputs....the standard output from the mother board, as implemented on the MkIII and SE and the ‘super’ USB with enhanced PS, clock and circuitry. It’s possible to run a DAC from either, so its easy to compare in order to hear what the enhanced USB port’s contribution is.  Phoenix’s contribution will be very similar as its more or less the self same package. For me, adding a Phoenix to a Zenith MkIII physically moves the MkIII closer to the Statements USB implementation so I fail to see how doing that can move its sound signature further away from the Statement’s, unless something else has been introduced into the equation....for example another, less accomplished USB cable 

• 1 month later...
5 hours ago, Vangelis said:

Not sure if this is the correct venue for this question, but this is probably close. I do not use Roon with my Zenith, I only use iPeng. On my iPad display for iPeng the volume control (bottom right side) is fully down and not adjustable, it cannot be raised . On every server and associated GUI the volume controls had to be fully up for the highest resolution. What am I missing here. 

Open iPeng and click Settings, Player Settings, Audio, Volume Adjustment then select what you want. If you use a preamp volume control select ‘Fixed Volume 100%’ 

• 4 months later...
On 11/14/2020 at 2:35 PM, BigAlMc said:

Let us know how you get on Mark. Be interested to hear.

Also funnily enough after 5 months of prevarication (it sat in it's box was I was too lazy and too worried I'd break it if I attempted to mod the power supply) I shipped my Buffalo to PinkFaun yesterday to get them to do the clock mod and the PSU mod. Looking forward to seeing how that compares to my current EtherRegen switch.

Cheers,

Alan

Hi Alan,

Have you got your modded Buffalo back from PF yet? If so, would you like to post your initial impressions? Thanks

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...