IGNORED

Innuos PhoenixUSB

FredM

I likey. 😀

Only running a few hours and not broken in but I love the sound., Very spacious, and the music and notes sound so real and with texture. Great ambiance.

I've had components where you get nice spacing and instrument placement, but with the Phoenix you get that, but it sounds very cohesive where each instrument is playing apart from each other. (If that makes any sense).

Also, ir is very smooth

I have previously owned the Uptone Regen, Wyred 4 Sound Reclocker, and SOtM USB Regenerator (each one with a LPS), and none of them even com close to the Phoenix.

I’ll give more details of my system tonight. However from what I understand from my dealer, the dealers received the pre-orders this week and shipped them out. There have to be other people besides me. I’m sure a lot of people that have them don’t visit this forum. 

I spoke to the distributor last week and he said that they received into the United States enough to cover pre-orders, and then

more would be shipped by mid January.

It’s nice to know that this great sound will even improve.

So the rest of my system is as follows:

Ethernet from router into AQVOX SE switch. SOtM Ethernet cable with filter into Antipodes DX. USB in and out of Phoenix into Empirical Audio Offramp USB/SPDIF converter (with Paul Hynes LPS)  and AES/EBU digital cable into Metrum Pavane Level 3 DAC.  

Balanced analogue cables into Simaudio 600i V2 speaker amp. Abyss1266 TC headphones with balanced JPS headphone cable into balanced female XLR / banana plug adapter into the amp speaker taps. 

Sounds better than my 2 channel speaker setup. 

I cannot believe how real the instruments sound. Also peripheral background instruments are now more prominent.

This might be the biggest upgrade I've ever had. Most component Is audition, I never keep as there not worth the cost of the upgrade, or they're just a side-grade at best.

I have owned an Innous Zenith Mk2, Mk3, and a Lumin U1, and Antipodes with Phoenix is far away the best. However, it's not the Antipodes, WITH the Phoenix. 

Of course the Phoenix is not chump change. Plus you have to add in the cost of a second USB cable, and an aftermarket power cable if you're into that. But, here's the thing, my son has a NUC with a LPS. I hooked that up to the Phoenix and it is heads and tails better than any other server I have heard. So, I could make a case for a NUC, LPS, Phoenix, and the cost would still be less than, a high end server, and sound better.

Of course as they say YMMV.

Thanks for the extensive reply. 

I’m still trying to find out though is there a difference in performance between using a very short cable, or a 1.0 meter cable?

If 1 meter is ok, I either own, or have for demo in my house: Danacable Trustream, JPs Labs Superconductor, Shunyata Sigma, Pranawire Photon, and Kubala Sosna Realization. 

So I have no shortage of cables to try. Just curious if I am not getting the most from the Phoenix if I don’t use a short cable. I haven’t read anything saying that. The reason I’m wondering is because I do know for products like the Uptone and Wyred 4 Sound that they do say that they want a short cable to be used from the output. 

BTW, the Phoenix comes with a USB cable. I’m assuming than it is for the second cable since they assume you already have one. The cable is 1 meter. I’m wondering if there thinking that the length is fine. I’m going to contact Innous in GB tomorrow and ask their opinion. I’ll post what they tell me. 

From the reviews, the Goebel cable sounds more like my taste. The Intona doesn’t. I like a more musical and meaty sound. 

I know the Wireworld Starlight is well liked, but I wouldn’t use it for free. I have demoed the XLR interconnects, USB, AES/EBU cables and they all have the same house sound. Detailed but thin sounding. Not my sound. I’d rated give up a little resolution to get a musical and fun presentation. 

• 3 months later...
6 hours ago, Blackmorec said:

My system started with a Zenith MkII SE where I tried a few connection solutions, including several USB cables and an SoTM TX-USBUltra with sPS-500.  I did compare 75cm and 1m Audioquest cables and could hear very little, if any difference. Certainly there were far bigger differences between various cable brands. The USB cable I eventually settled on, which to my ear sounded more natural and head and shoulders better than similarly priced alternatives was the Synergistic Research Atmosphere X Ref which provided some real magic in terms of purity and immersive soundstage

But the reason for this post was to let you know about one of the most significant upgrades I did....3 actually. The first was adding a Sean Jacobs designed and built DC3 power supply to the AQVox SE....if you like what the Phoenix does, you will for sure like what the DC3 brings to the party.  It absolutely transforms the AQVox, adds huge amounts of rhythmic drive, ambient detail, soundstage size and ‘boogy factor’. With the DC3 in circuit the rhythmic interaction between musicians will remind you more than anything of live music gigs, where you can feel the musicians having a good time. 

From there, I added a Ghent Audio Neotech JSSG360 DC cable, which brought added dimensionality, focus and greater detail, heard as sound stage ‘texture’. The soundstage becomes more holistic. Finally I added a Nenon developed and built DC cable, using the same topology as the Neotech, but substituting the 10x more expensive Mundorf Silver Gold cable.....in the context of a really revealing system this is another jaw dropping upgrade, adding true holographic imaging and incredible dynamics, which again makes the music sound ‘real’ in that its actually produced by the real instruments or vocalists. Details of how to build a Nenon Mundorf SG cable can be found in the ‘Building a DIY Music Server’ thread on this forum. 

I’ve had my AQVOX SE for along time and love it. I was curious about your use of a LPS with it. I use them with many of my components, but AQVOX says not use one. Obviously it’s working well for you. I was curious if you read this as well. Thanks. 

I was looking for where AQVOX mentioned it:  

• Modified/optimized external power supply. The enclosed power supply is optimally matched to the High-End Switch. Other, supposedly better power supplies, including The AQVOX Low-Noise power supply have a deteriorating effect to the sound. 

So if that's the case, I have a Paul Hynes and Keces I can connect and see how it sounds. 

I just assumed they were making a blanket statement about LPS. 

I am interested in trying a DC3 however, and will contact them. Is the voltage fixed, or can it be switched depending on if you need 12v or 9v? Thanks (for helping me spend my money)

Blackmorec can reply, but I owned your combination, and it’s night and day difference. There SOtM gave a nice instrument spacing and soundstage, but very thin sounding compared to the Phoenix. So in addition to the excellent soundstage, and instrument spacing, the instruments are more fleshed out and they have more presence. 

The difference between the two are not subtle. Also, their are two LPS in the Phoenix, of which they are both superior to what the Ultracaps brings to the table. 

• 1 month later...

I ordered one from Sean a couple of weeks ago and will be shipping this week. It was about $1300 or so with the conversion rate for one output. 

He seems like a great guy and he gets back to you almost immediately with any questions. 

• 2 weeks later...
32 minutes ago, matthias said:

I am a "Source First" believer, so IMO when you do the USB host part right, you do not need them.

But as always YMMV.

Matt

I don’t make up my mind until I demo something first. The last person that I’m gonna believe is the manufacture saying that their product does USB right, or sounds neutral, etc. etc..  

11 minutes ago, matthias said:

So I am sure you do not believe that Phoenix does not improve the USB output of Innuos Statement.

Matt

I have no idea. I don’t have the Statement or have ever heard it. 

I can tell you that I had the Zenith Mk3 and sold it because I didn’t care for the sound. Nice soundstage but too dry sounding. I didn’t have the Phoenix at the same time though. 

You don't get it, or the whole premise.. One thing has nothing to do with another. The sound signature of a streamer has thing to do with the USB implementation. I'd venture to guess that the software that a manufacturer uses in their streamer has more to do with the sound Ghan the hardware.