IGNORED

Bi-Wire Speaker Cable Question - Can They Be Used As Standard Speaker Cables Without A Problem?

TubeLover

Question

I believe I know the likely answer to this, but just want to be certain. There are a used pair of speaker cables that just appeared for sale which I have been trying to find for nearly a year. They were reported by a quality audio reviewer to have special synergy with my upstairs system. The only issue is that the pair for sale are bi-wired. I have no means to use them bi-wired since my speakers cannot accommodate that. Can I use them as a standard pair of speaker cables without a problem? And what would be the proper means of connecting the ends with two pairs of wires? I strongly suspect it shouldn't be an issue, but I've simply never come across this specific situation before. 

Thanks for any assistance with this.

JC

On 10/6/2019 at 9:53 PM, TubeLover said:

Thanks for the suggestion, Nikhil. The stacking feature would be ideal, but In reading the description, they seem to be designed for bare wire, though?

JC

There are numerous spade to banana adapters available to allow you to "stack" and connect bi-wire cables with spades to single speaker terminations. Audioquest and Vampire are two options, the latter likely to provide a more robust connection. You may want to Google "spade to banana adapters" for other possibilities.

"Relax, it's only hi-fi. There's never been a hi-fi emergency." - Roy Hall

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - William Bruce Cameron

I’ve seen manufacturers do what you want to do by connecting all four ends of the wire to the two available binding posts. 

I’m guessing it would work with just two of the four as well because I don’t believe there’s a crossover in the cable. Thus all frequencies go through to all wires. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

Thanks Chris. I just, however, realized that the Maggie .7 speakers that I would be connecting them to do not accept spades (only banana's). That would mean no possible way of connecting all four wires to the speaker binding posts. And, as you mentioned that is how I've seen manufacturers connect them.

I would clearly  rather have a standard pair, but am only considering purchasing these since they are the first pair in over a year that I've seen for sale of this particular model of speaker cable. 

JC

JC,

I would recommend the Vampire Wire SB Banana Connectors.

They can be "stacked" to accommodate bi-wire cables.

The Cable Company seems to have the best prices on these for some reason

https://www.thecableco.com/vampire-wires-sb-banana-pair.html

I would call them to check before ordering.

Regards

Custom Win10 Server | Mutec MC-3+ USB | Lampizator Amber | Job INT | ATC SCM20PSL + JL Audio E-Sub e110

16 hours ago, Nikhil said:

JC,

I would recommend the Vampire Wire SB Banana Connectors.

They can be "stacked" to accommodate bi-wire cables.

The Cable Company seems to have the best prices on these for some reason

https://www.thecableco.com/vampire-wires-sb-banana-pair.html

I would call them to check before ordering.

Regards

Thanks for the suggestion, Nikhil. The stacking feature would be ideal, but In reading the description, they seem to be designed for bare wire, though?

JC

I bi-wired my Tektons just because I had the wire laying around. Before I installed my system I ordered a few rolls of KnuKonceptz Kord Kable 10 Gauge Copper Speaker Wire [heavy].  I spliced two pairs of wire at the amp and soldered using high content silver solder so there's one positive and one negative on one end and then four on the opposite. Then just to be cool and go overkill I installed a bridge at the end [essentially bridged at both ends]. Should be more than I'll ever need to drive 600 watts rms for six feet of length.

I do recommend this wire if anyone is interested: www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0076SFE9Q/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

20200217_100909.thumb.jpg.04a58a5ac7246f7ae3ed644ef2eb206c.jpg

SMSL M400 DAC
Bluesound Node 2i

Sony 65 inch OLED A8G, Sony 4k Blue Ray X700

Parasound Halo A31 Amplifier

Tekton Ulfberht Speakers w/ Be high frequency upgrade [4 ohms ea.]
Two Tekton Active [300 watts rms] 4-10 Subwoofers

3 hours ago, Kal Rubinson said:

So you have effectively doubled-up on the wiregauge and negated the "bi-wire" paradigm.  What was your intent?

Yes, that is correct, I essentially doubled up on the wire gauge. As far as straying from the "bi-wire" paradigm does it matter on what end the bridge exists or if two bridges exists one on either end? I don't think so and noticed no difference using the bi-wire configuration. Since I had the extra wire laying around I decided to use it. 

SMSL M400 DAC
Bluesound Node 2i

7 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Technically bi-wire means two separate runs of wires. By connecting the binding posts at your speaker, you are negating the bi-wire. 

You should have two connections at the amp and two connections at the speaker, with nothing connecting the two separate connections. 

Should, but eh, consider it the path to least resistance should some occur. The sound is much "warmer" now with the jumper, I can hear the difference!!! J/king, I'm not serious at all. I agree that with the jumper this is no longer a bi-wire setup. Two separate runs of wire whether connected at the same binding post of the amp or at the speaker...... given the gauge of the wire is sufficient with one pair in contrasts to half as sufficient which necessitates two pair I really don't think it makes a difference. 

I consider it a conversation piece now! 

Enjoy,

William

SMSL M400 DAC
Bluesound Node 2i

I had truly used a bi-wire setup at first with these pictured cables. The Tekton towers, however, are not internally configured at the binding posts of the towers [2 pair] for bi-amp but bi-wire. I kid you not, I went backwards using the below pictured cables. The wire gauge is thin [14 or 16 gauge] in comparison to the two pairs of 10 gauge wire I cut, soldered, and used in their place. 

bi-wire.thumb.jpg.fdcfc45e4c573afff8ead352a95474c4.jpg

SMSL M400 DAC
Bluesound Node 2i

4 minutes ago, ericuco said:

I think this is called bi-amping - two connections at the amp(s) and speaker.

Bi-wiring is one connection at amp and two at speaker.

In my system, I have one set of connections at amp (+ & -) and two sets of connections at speaker, so four wires in total.

Absolutely correct.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

3 minutes ago, ericuco said:

I think this is called bi-amping - two connections at the amp(s) and speaker.

Bi-wiring is one connection at amp and two at speaker.

Bi-wiring is two paired cables with common connections at the (single) amp with each going to a different pair of terminals on the speaker.

Bi-amping uses two paired cables each connected to a separate amp and with each going to a different pair of terminals on the speaker.

Kal Rubinson

Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

17 hours ago, Shimei said:

Yes, that is correct, I essentially doubled up on the wire gauge. As far as straying from the "bi-wire" paradigm does it matter on what end the bridge exists or if two bridges exists one on either end? I don't think so and noticed no difference using the bi-wire configuration. Since I had the extra wire laying around I decided to use it. 

With biwiring, the high and low frequency signal paths are separated. This is claimed to reduce Intermodulation Distortion. I've also heard biwiring prevents high powered lows from swamping delicate highs, which sounds to me like a layman description of IM.

If you can't hear the difference, I guess it's academic. I have never tried your unusual connection method. I do hear differences between biwire and single run. 

Main System: QNAP TS-451+ NAS > Silent Angel Bonn N8 > Sonore opticalModule Deluxe v2 > Corning SMF with Finisar FTLF1318P3BTL SFPs > Uptone EtherREGEN > exaSound PlayPoint and e32 Mk-II DAC > Meitner MTR-101 Plus monoblocks > Bamberg S5-MTM sealed standmount speakers. 

Crown XLi 1500 powering  AV123 Rocket UFW10 stereo subwoofers

Upgraded power on all switches, renderer and DAC. 

15 minutes ago, audiobomber said:

With biwiring, the high and low frequency signal paths are separated. This is claimed to reduce Intermodulation Distortion. I've also heard biwiring prevents high powered lows from swamping delicate highs, which sounds to me like a layman description of IM.

If you can't hear the difference, I guess it's academic. I have never tried your unusual connection method. I do hear differences between biwire and single run. 

As a conversation piece I'm actually curious about a hypothetical scenario pertaining to the bridge at the speaker binding post. Say, the wiring of one pair ends up becoming "overloaded" and the resulting resistance increases more than that of the jumper or bridge leading to the other pair of wires. Would there be an undesirable "oscillation" between the pairs of speaker wires because of the jumper? Or might that be actually desirable? I guess this scenario assumes that one pair of wires might increase in resistance over the other and of course exceeding the resistance of the bridge. Just wondering whether oscillation might ever be a concern?

I personally do not think the bridge is a concern and the resistance of the bridge itself probably prevents itself from being the path taken. That is, if electrical current takes the path of least resistance the very jumper probably acts to keep the pairs of wires segregated unless the above scenario were to occur. Electricity acting like water taking the path of least resistance or seeking out the lowest level. 

SMSL M400 DAC
Bluesound Node 2i

17 minutes ago, Shimei said:

As a conversation piece I'm actually curious about a hypothetical scenario pertaining to the bridge at the speaker binding post. Say, the wiring of one pair ends up becoming "overloaded" and the resulting resistance increases more than that of the jumper or bridge leading to the other pair of wires. Would there be an undesirable "oscillation" between the pairs of speaker wires because of the jumper? Or might that be actually desirable? I guess this scenario assumes that one pair of wires might increase in resistance over the other and of course exceeding the resistance of the bridge. Just wondering whether oscillation might ever be a concern?

I don't know the answer, but I would not be comfortable connecting this way. I've never heard it recommended, and never heard of anyone wiring their system like this. It may be perfectly benign, but on the possibility that there is some reason not to do it, I would stay with the tried and true biwire connection. 

I personally do not think the bridge is a concern and the resistance of the bridge itself probably prevents itself from being the path taken. That is, if electrical current takes the path of least resistance. 

Current always takes the path of least resistance, but in proportion to the resistance. IOW, some current will flow in each leg according to the formula for parallel resistances:

RT = 1/R1 + 1/RR2

IT = IR1 + IR2

Main System: QNAP TS-451+ NAS > Silent Angel Bonn N8 > Sonore opticalModule Deluxe v2 > Corning SMF with Finisar FTLF1318P3BTL SFPs > Uptone EtherREGEN > exaSound PlayPoint and e32 Mk-II DAC > Meitner MTR-101 Plus monoblocks > Bamberg S5-MTM sealed standmount speakers. 

Crown XLi 1500 powering  AV123 Rocket UFW10 stereo subwoofers

Upgraded power on all switches, renderer and DAC.