IGNORED

A Different Streaming Ecosystem

I’m listening to some fantastic albums on ECM records this morning and thinking about streaming services, content availability, and remuneration etc... I think I’d subscribe to a standalone streaming service offered by ECM because the content is so good and of such high quality. Then I started thinking about the lack of integration with such a service and the fact that ECM is a record label, not a streaming company. 

Then it hit me, I wonder why streaming services use all you can eat models, rather than the cable TV model where a provider offers different packages. If Qobuz offered an ECM package for an added fee every month, this would be easy for everyone and perhaps enable the label to make more money from consumers willing to pay. I know this isn’t a perfect model because packaged tv includes tons of programming nobody wants and people are leaving the model left and right. But, given the size of music labels and lack of technical ability to implement a service, let alone get hardware manufacturers to integrate with each service, this model may have some positive aspects. 

Thoughts?

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

3 minutes ago, Ralf11 said:

I like and use "different packages" - things like CDs, downloads...

Streaming just doesn't do it for me, tho maybe if I was a kid with a phone and no collected music...

Interesting perspective and one I know many share. 

For me the ability to stream releases I would’ve never discovered or taken a chance on is amazing. It’s like a dream from when I thought we’d all be in flying cars by the year 2000. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

Perhaps the record labels should be more proactive with the streaming services providing better metadata, artist bios, alternative artwork, playlists, specials, etc. I really couldn't see paying more for what's there already and people would cry bloody murder if you suddenly took it all away. 

SERVER CLOSET (in office directly below living room stereo):NUC 7i5BNH with Roon ROCK (ZeroZone 12V on the NUC)>Cisco 2690L-16PS switch>Sonore opticalModule (Uptone LPS 1.2)>

LIVING ROOM: Sonore opticalRendu Roon version (Sonore Power Supply)> Shunyata Venom USB>Naim DAC V1>Witchhat DIN>Naim NAP 160 Bolt Down>Chord Rumor 2>Audio Physic Compact Classics. OFFICE: opticalModule> Sonore microRendu 1.4> Matrix Mini-i Pro 3> Naim NAP 110>NACA5>KEF Ls50's. BJC 6a and Ghent Catsnake 6a JSSG ethernet; AC cables: Shunyata Venom NR V-10; Audience Forte F3; Ice Age copper/copper; Sean Jacobs CHC PowerBlack, Moon Audio DIN>RCA, USB A>C. Isolation: Herbie's Audio Lab. 

I have tried Tidal, Qobuz and Idagio and I always cancelled my subscriptions after a few months. The subscription that lasted the longest was a Qobuz Sublime that I cancelled after a little more than one year.

I do not plan to go back to internet streaming services as long as these services do not offer a means of organizing favorites in folders and sub-folders or of tagging favorites. This is, in my view, the main deficiency of internet streaming services nowadays: you get access to a huge pool of contents but there is no way to group and list the content that you plan to listen to in a meaningful way. 

• 2 weeks later...

I choose to own most of the music I like to listen to, partly because I have doubts about the viability of streaming services. I don't see how splintering services even more would improve things in that respect. 

But I struggle to understand why purchasing is not more widely available. 

Are labels hesitant for piracy issues? 

Or is it economic? 

I would be interested in understanding how the profit margins and marginal costs compare between various channels: sales of physical CDs or vinyls, downloads of albums (files), and royalties from streaming services.