IGNORED

Article: The Next Track: Episode 159 | Amazon Music HD

7 hours ago, kirkmc said:

At the time we recorded, we hadn't seen the rumors of the new "audiophile" Amazon Echo, which was announced yesterday. So one of the reasons for their lossless/high-res service is, perhaps, to provide "better sounding" music for that device. 

Thanks for putting "Audiophile" in quotes. By no sane definition is the new Echo Studio an audiophile device. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

25 minutes ago, Abstraction said:

What is 100x better? 

Right now I have Tidal running with Roon,  a trial  subscription to Qobuz and to  Amazon HD.  I also have over 3tb of CDs ripped to a drive. I am not the kind of person to make my ear's bleed doing a-b comparisons, but it seems to me that the noticeable variation in sound quality is more from recording to recording than from service to service. I am more interested in the catalog offerings of relatively, what should I say, far out music-- jazz from small record companies, avant-garde contemporary classical music, and non-pop world music. This involves a very large amount of music, and I haven't scratched surface, but there is no question that Amazon on my measure--the offerings of the music that I listen to--is incomparably better.

Hi Abstraction - I have all three service as well. I agree with your assessment about sound quality.

I find Qobuz music selection, recommendations, and navigation so much better than the other two services. For example, I love the ECM records catalog. In Qobuz I can view the entire catalog by selecting the label. In Tidal forget about it. In Amazon I have to search ECM Records and it does return a dump truck full of albums, but I have no idea if this is actually all the ECM stuff in Amazon or a partial list or everything with the letters ECM or Records etc... Amazon search is just like the store, search for a hard drive and you'll get 30,000 results to weed through. Qobuz has information about many releases when you click on them as well. 

Then, think about playback. Right now the only way to enjoyable play Amazon bit perfectly is a BluOS or DTS PlayFi capable product. Forget about the desktop and mobile apps. They aren't built with audio quality, output selection, and sample rate switching in mind.

In just about every category of what makes me select a product, Qobuz wins. Sure Amazon beats everyone on price, but in the grand scheme of things the price difference between all the services doesn't even amount to the sales tax on a USB cable for some people.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

5 hours ago, bbosler said:

no

I signed up for Amazon but when they charged me $7.99 for the free trial I cancelled, still don't believe they are delivering native HD content

have been using Tidal, jut signed up for Qobuz to see what that is like

They charged you for the standard definition because you'd already used your free trial. They gave you a free HD trial. I don't now of any service that gives several free trials. 

Based on my DACs that indicate sample rate and bit depth, Amazon is delivering the same native HD content as Qobuz. 

4 hours ago, kirkmc said:

It's interesting, because for a very short time - a year or two? - there were exclusives, and Tidal was notably trying to sell their service on that feature. I haven't heard of any big-name exclusives in a while; has that stopped? 

That game seems over as fast as it started. 

Just now, bbosler said:

correct, i get that now. they counted my former Amazon music unlimited as a free trial.

That means nothing, I can resample 160K MP3 files to 24/192 and it will show on your DACs as 24/192, so unless you look at the spectrum you can't rely on what the DAC is telling you

Are you suggesting Amazon is using DSP to get high resolution files? This would be quite a story.

5 minutes ago, left channel said:

@#Yoda# and others have caught otherwise reputable download resellers offering upsampled albums as Hi-Res many times. As you say, those files probably came from the labels that way and it was not the resellers who changed the sample rate. Once presented with an analysis the resellers usually did offer refunds, but did not remove the files. Not sure if you can analyze a stream the same way. I do wonder about the provenance of Amazon's "Ultra HD" catalog.

Just need to capture a stream for analysis. 

57 minutes ago, mindfulhermit said:

I am confused about the offline listening feature of Amazon Music HD.  I live in the Ozarks and my only internet connection is through satellite internet with significant download caps.  So on-going streaming is not feasible.  I must go into town and download through the public library’s WiFi to successfully stream music for subsequent offline listening.
I have searched Amazon’s site trying to determine the “quality” of their downloads for offline listening.  Elsewhere it was suggested that the actual downloads were only mp3 quality.  Does anyone know what Amazon is storing under the “available offline” tag?

The offline download is whatever quality you select in the app settings. 

27 minutes ago, Abstraction said:

Thanks for the thoughtful reply. I don't doubt that for most people who listen seriously to music Qobuz is a better product, but no stream is any good if it does not stream the music you want to hear. To be sure my interests in music are fringy, some might say weird.  The cutting edge of jazz is mostly to be heard in venues often with audiences less than fifty. These people are not being recorded by ECM.  I rarely use an audio service to discover music.  I search for new music on the NYC Jazz Record and the jazz blogs. It's a quandary. I retired and moved to an NYC apartment, so I could hear live music.  I sold my vinyl, but there is no place to store CDs.

I don't know what I will do.  I still have free time left on Amazon.  Tidal is somewhat better for my musical interests than Qobuz.   The point is, I guess, that the problem of digital music distribution is still not solved. The musicians, especially the ones who are not big sellers, are being ripped off. I feel somewhat better about this because I hear and pay for a lot of live music, but that does not deal with the issue. I have Roon and Sonore rendus running on two systems. So, then what?

I certainly hear you. If your music isn’t on a service, it’s useless. I’ll take my favorite music via AM radio over stuff I hate via high resolution streaming.