Jump to content
dminches

Windows 10 vs Windows Server 2016/19

Rate this topic

Recommended Posts

Is it still the case with AO 3.0 that Windows Server 2016/19 sounds better than Windows 10?  I am asking because I am having difficulties finding drivers for my ethernet adapter and GeForce video card that work in Windows Server.  I would like to stick with WS but the driver availability is an issue.

 


Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7s, 4 M&K ST-150Ts, 1 VCC-5; Amplification: 2 Vandersteen M7-HPAs, CI Audio D200 MKII, Ayre V-6xe; Preamp: Doshi Audio Line Stage v3.0; Phono Pre: Doshi Audio Phono Pre; Analog: Wave Kinetics NVS with Durand Telos composite arm; SME 3012R arm, Clearaudio Goldfinger Statement v2; Reel to Reel:  Technics RS-1500; Doshi Tape Pre-Amp; Studer A810, Studer A812, Tascam BR-20; Multi-channel: Bryston SP-3; Digital: Custom PC (WS 2016/AO/HQPlayer/Roon)> Lampizator Big 7 DAC

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I decided to upgrade to WS 2019 which helped with driver compatibility.

 


Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7s, 4 M&K ST-150Ts, 1 VCC-5; Amplification: 2 Vandersteen M7-HPAs, CI Audio D200 MKII, Ayre V-6xe; Preamp: Doshi Audio Line Stage v3.0; Phono Pre: Doshi Audio Phono Pre; Analog: Wave Kinetics NVS with Durand Telos composite arm; SME 3012R arm, Clearaudio Goldfinger Statement v2; Reel to Reel:  Technics RS-1500; Doshi Tape Pre-Amp; Studer A810, Studer A812, Tascam BR-20; Multi-channel: Bryston SP-3; Digital: Custom PC (WS 2016/AO/HQPlayer/Roon)> Lampizator Big 7 DAC

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What issues did you have on Server 2016 with the NVIDIA driver? Or where you on 2012 R2? I am using an 1050Ti on a Windows Server 2016 Hyper-V Server since quite some time. I use the same driver for it like i do for my 1080Ti SLI setup on my work machine.

 

Windows 10 is by far the worst sounding OS which is supported by AO. Even Windows Server 2012 R2 will blow Windows 10 out of the water very easily.

 

Chosing 2019 was the right decisino. You'll about get the sound quality of Windows Server 2016 in Core in Windows Server 2019 GUI mode! This means no hassle with core et all and still get absolutely astonishing sound quality incl. the ease of a GUI.


ıllıllı [  ...AO 3.00 IS HERE... ] ıllıllı
____________________________________________________________________________________

 

Shop | Core Audio Music Server | Reviews | Reference System | AudiophileOptimizer 3.00 | PDF Guide

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, AudioPhil said:

What issues did you have on Server 2016 with the NVIDIA driver? Or where you on 2012 R2? I am using an 1050Ti on a Windows Server 2016 Hyper-V Server since quite some time. I use the same driver for it like i do for my 1080Ti SLI setup on my work machine.

 

Windows 10 is by far the worst sounding OS which is supported by AO. Even Windows Server 2012 R2 will blow Windows 10 out of the water very easily.

 

Chosing 2019 was the right decisino. You'll about get the sound quality of Windows Server 2016 in Core in Windows Server 2019 GUI mode! This means no hassle with core et all and still get absolutely astonishing sound quality incl. the ease of a GUI.

 

My only issue with Windows Server 2019 is that there are some drivers for my motherboard which are not compatible with WS 2019.  For example, I cannot find an Ethernet controller driver.  I don’t know if I have been able to find a 300 series chipset driver either.

 

My mobo is an Asus prime z390-a.

 

Maybe I should have picked a different mobo to go with my i7-9700k CPU.   

 


Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7s, 4 M&K ST-150Ts, 1 VCC-5; Amplification: 2 Vandersteen M7-HPAs, CI Audio D200 MKII, Ayre V-6xe; Preamp: Doshi Audio Line Stage v3.0; Phono Pre: Doshi Audio Phono Pre; Analog: Wave Kinetics NVS with Durand Telos composite arm; SME 3012R arm, Clearaudio Goldfinger Statement v2; Reel to Reel:  Technics RS-1500; Doshi Tape Pre-Amp; Studer A810, Studer A812, Tascam BR-20; Multi-channel: Bryston SP-3; Digital: Custom PC (WS 2016/AO/HQPlayer/Roon)> Lampizator Big 7 DAC

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sometimes its a bit of a hit and miss yes.. regarding the chipset, many components are not needed either way and can easiy be disabled.

 

for the network cards it's almost always possible to use a driver which was made for a slightly different card/OS and it will install and work just fine.  you need to google a bit and will find a way for sure!

 

Best,

AudioPhil


ıllıllı [  ...AO 3.00 IS HERE... ] ıllıllı
____________________________________________________________________________________

 

Shop | Core Audio Music Server | Reviews | Reference System | AudiophileOptimizer 3.00 | PDF Guide

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/27/2019 at 4:55 PM, dminches said:

I cannot find an Ethernet controller driver.

Your Asus Prime Z390-A has an Intel I219V ethernet.  So on this page you can download the driver for Windows Server 2019.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28396/Intel-Network-Adapter-Driver-for-Windows-Server-2019-?product=82187

 

Have you already tried it?


NUC7PJYH/AL --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

 

i7-6700K/Windows 10 Version 1903/HDPLEX 200W/HDPLEX 400W DC-ATX --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, rickca said:

Your Asus Prime Z390-A has an Intel I219V ethernet.  So on this page you can download the driver for Windows Server 2019.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28396/Intel-Network-Adapter-Driver-for-Windows-Server-2019-?product=82187

 

Have you already tried it?

 

Yes.  It wouldn’t install.  It said it wasn’t supposed under Windows Server 2019.

 


Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7s, 4 M&K ST-150Ts, 1 VCC-5; Amplification: 2 Vandersteen M7-HPAs, CI Audio D200 MKII, Ayre V-6xe; Preamp: Doshi Audio Line Stage v3.0; Phono Pre: Doshi Audio Phono Pre; Analog: Wave Kinetics NVS with Durand Telos composite arm; SME 3012R arm, Clearaudio Goldfinger Statement v2; Reel to Reel:  Technics RS-1500; Doshi Tape Pre-Amp; Studer A810, Studer A812, Tascam BR-20; Multi-channel: Bryston SP-3; Digital: Custom PC (WS 2016/AO/HQPlayer/Roon)> Lampizator Big 7 DAC

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, dminches said:

 

Yes.  It wouldn’t install.  It said it wasn’t supposed under Windows Server 2019.

 

Hmm, OK.  That was easy to find so I figured you probably had already tried it.  You may want to give this a shot, apparently it works on WS2019 as well.

https://blog.workinghardinit.work/2017/06/19/installing-intel-i211-i217v-i218v-i219v-drivers-windows-server-2016-eufi-boot/


NUC7PJYH/AL --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

 

i7-6700K/Windows 10 Version 1903/HDPLEX 200W/HDPLEX 400W DC-ATX --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, rickca said:

Hmm, OK.  That was easy to find so I figured you probably had already tried it.  You may want to give this a shot, apparently it works on WS2019 as well.

https://blog.workinghardinit.work/2017/06/19/installing-intel-i211-i217v-i218v-i219v-drivers-windows-server-2016-eufi-boot/

 

I will give that a try.  I have even gone as far as editing the .inf file for the card to include WS 2019 but that didn’t work either.

 


Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7s, 4 M&K ST-150Ts, 1 VCC-5; Amplification: 2 Vandersteen M7-HPAs, CI Audio D200 MKII, Ayre V-6xe; Preamp: Doshi Audio Line Stage v3.0; Phono Pre: Doshi Audio Phono Pre; Analog: Wave Kinetics NVS with Durand Telos composite arm; SME 3012R arm, Clearaudio Goldfinger Statement v2; Reel to Reel:  Technics RS-1500; Doshi Tape Pre-Amp; Studer A810, Studer A812, Tascam BR-20; Multi-channel: Bryston SP-3; Digital: Custom PC (WS 2016/AO/HQPlayer/Roon)> Lampizator Big 7 DAC

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...