IGNORED

SonicOrbiter - Compact Disc Digital Audio Streaming

Would connecting a USB optical drive to a Small Green Computer STi5 also work?

• HQPE 1.4/1.5 MHz 20 Bit PCM
  • Streaming Qobuz or playing files from external SSD
  • Surface Go 3 i3 Tablet with HQPlayer Client
  • ISP Cable Modem -> Ethernet -> Sonore opticalModule 
  • Sonore opticalModule  -> 20m Fiber -> Sonore opticalModule -> Ethernet -> Managed Switch
  • Managed Switch -> Ethernet -> Sonore opticalModule Deluxe -> 5m Fiber -> Sonore Sig Rendu SE Optical ( HQPlayer NAA )
  • Managed Switch -> Ethernet ->Small Green Computer sonicTransporter i9 Optical ( HQPlayer Embedded )
  • Sonore Sig Rendu SE Optical -> USB -> Holo Audio KTE May
  • Holo Audio KTE May -> XLR -> Goldpoint SA1X/47 -> XLR to Decware ZBIT -> RCA to Decware ZSTAGE25 -> RCA to Decware SE84UFO25 -> Avantgarde Duo Omega Horns with Townshend Audio Ribbon Super Tweeters
  • Decware SE84UFO25 -> Speaker Level to Jensen IsoMax Balanced Converter -> XLR Rives PARC -> XLR Avantgarde SUB225s
3 hours ago, JohnSwenson said:

I'm actually very interested. I have a large stash of CDs I have never found the time to rip so they never get played. This should help a lot with the situation.

Is the control via an app or web page?

Thanks,

John S.

John, I sent you an email so you can try it out.

10 minutes ago, Superdad said:

This is VERY cool!  I’m sure there are quite a few people who own both an original microRendu and perhaps an ultraRendu or newer.

Looking forward to learning more about this. :)

Think how cool this will be with your new switch in the mix! 

I have kept my Meridian 200 CD transport for this purpose. It feeds one of the Digital inputs of my Naim NDS network player. Yes, all of the CDs have been ripped and available in Roon, and most are without jewel cases, just the booklet and disc away in an archive box. It also serves if a visitor brings a CD to play without to rip, tag, upload, index before available to play.

What about if the playback of the CD was also simultaneously ripping a copy to an SD card on the connected Rendu device? This ripped copy can either remain on the SD card, or transferred to NAS or local USB drives.

In my mind, a more universal product would be a CD transport that can do wireless (and wired) Airplay. Rendus already support  Shareport, so obviously owners can play their CDs via Airplay to Rendus. And people who don’t own Rendus with AirPlay capabilities can still play their CDs off their Airplay enabled devices. That’s of course assuming that Airplay doesn’t degrade sound quality. I guess the main advantage of the current proposed setup is that it’s a matter of changing the firmware for Rendu to turn the attached CD drive into a transport. Maybe add the Airplay functionality too? Not sure.

Got lazy last night so instead of turning on my Roon server, I just Airplay music to my ultraRendu

Cool. Wonderful idea, but that brings up a couple of questions. Does the player software include error correction? And how much can that improve results from a very basic USB disc drive anyway?

I've always wondered how much error detection and correction is in the CD ripper included with Sonicorbiter servers. I am much more comfortable with dBpoweramp because I don't know what's in Sonicorbiter. But in general, it seems to me that most of our CD rips may be of higher quality than results from actual CDs in this otherwise very cool playback chain.

Normally when I play a CD here — usually when someone, often a musician, brings their own CD — I rely on a Redbook error-correcting CD player connected to the DAC on my best system, with no streaming beyond that room possible. So this idea has me intrigued... 

Everyone wants to date my avatar.

4 hours ago, simon_pepper said:

I have kept my Meridian 200 CD transport for this purpose. It feeds one of the Digital inputs of my Naim NDS network player. Yes, all of the CDs have been ripped and available in Roon, and most are without jewel cases, just the booklet and disc away in an archive box. It also serves if a visitor brings a CD to play without to rip, tag, upload, index before available to play.

What about if the playback of the CD was also simultaneously ripping a copy to an SD card on the connected Rendu device? This ripped copy can either remain on the SD card, or transferred to NAS or local USB drives.

I once had a 200 disk changer from Sony:) sonicTransporter can rip CDs, it has more storage, and a faster CPU so I think it’s best to keep that process over there. 

2 hours ago, ecwl said:

In my mind, a more universal product would be a CD transport that can do wireless (and wired) Airplay. Rendus already support  Shareport, so obviously owners can play their CDs via Airplay to Rendus. And people who don’t own Rendus with AirPlay capabilities can still play their CDs off their Airplay enabled devices. That’s of course assuming that Airplay doesn’t degrade sound quality. I guess the main advantage of the current proposed setup is that it’s a matter of changing the firmware for Rendu to turn the attached CD drive into a transport. Maybe add the Airplay functionality too? Not sure.

Got lazy last night so instead of turning on my Roon server, I just Airplay music to my ultraRendu

This is not really a product but a feature being added to an existing platform so we have some constraints. I forget if iTunes will allow one to just play the CD. Airplay is not my favorite output mode though.

55 minutes ago, left channel said:

Cool. Wonderful idea, but that brings up a couple of questions. Does the player software include error correction? And how much can that improve results from a very basic USB disc drive anyway?

I've always wondered how much error detection and correction is in the CD ripper included with Sonicorbiter servers. I am much more comfortable with dBpoweramp because I don't know what's in Sonicorbiter. But in general, it seems to me that most of our CD rips may be of higher quality than results from actual CDs in this otherwise very cool playback chain.

Normally when I play a CD here — usually when someone, often a musician, brings their own CD — I rely on a Redbook error-correcting CD player connected to the DAC on my best system, with no streaming beyond that room possible. So this idea has me intrigued... 

I have used dbpoweramp a lot and I really like the software. It's very satisfying to see the AccurateRip feedback, but even my poorly treated CDs managed to rip without issues. So far no dropouts or pauses during playback. Let me clarify that the receiving Rendu is the player and not the Rendu with the USB drive attached to it so the player software will not need error correction at that point.   

There is a nice write up here called Spoon's Audio Guide: CD Ripping. 

https://dbpoweramp.com/spoons-audio-guide-cd-ripping.htm 

Here is a photo of my unit in action streaming Jazz at the Pawn Shop (disk 1) to my Signature Rendu SEopt. I placed the Rendu on top of the drive to give it some mass. I'm using an opticalrendu but a micro/ultraRendu will perform just as well. BTW This Dell drive is very quiet and so I was able to located the combination out in the open right in my audio room

1799894840_ScreenShot2019-09-22at1_21_34PM.png.b9c222beef4d190cfde242386850d829.png

Jesus, what is the server software on Rendu #1?  I assume you need to set up the Rendu as a server rather than a player. 

Living room:  Synology 218+ NAS > NUC 10 i7 > HQP Embedded > xfinity Xfi Router > Netgear GS348 Switch > Sonore Optical Module Deluxe > Sonore Signature Rendu SE Optical Tier 2 > Okto DAC 8 Stereo > Topping Pre90 Preamp > Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini > Revel F32 Concertas

Computer Desk System: Synology DS-218+ NAS > Dell XPS 8930/NUC 10 i7  > HQP Desktop > xfinity Xfi Router > EtherRegen > ultraRendu > Topping D90 DAC > Audioengine A5+'s

On 9/26/2019 at 7:49 PM, Mike Rubin said:

Jesus, what is the server software on Rendu #1?  I assume you need to set up the Rendu as a server rather than a player. 

I'm ready to release in the information yet since we are still working on adding features. Right now we are working on adding Reference Recording HRX disk support. If we can implement this feature we can support user made DVDs with WAV files on them.    

On 9/22/2019 at 3:18 PM, ecwl said:

Never bothered with Macs, but surely there's OS X player software out there that can play CDs?

So all you'd need to do is set the AirPlay device (eg, the 'Rendu set to Shairport) as the Mac's audio output device.

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox

2 hours ago, Cebolla said:

Never bothered with Macs, but surely there's OS X player software out there that can play CDs?

Please share if there is software which can do this.

There are rumours of an upcoming Schiit cd transport with USB output.

Thanks

Matt

"I want to know why the musicians are on stage, not where". (John Farlowe)