IGNORED

ALLO USBridge Signature

2 minutes ago, nbpf said:

But then what is the point of having additional USB ports in the USBridge Sig if connecting USB devices to these ports has a detrimental effect on the dedicated USB audio output?

Apologies for the overlapping posts! I understand from your explanations that the additional USB ports are there for convenience and should ideally not be used if the dedicated USB audio output of the USBridge Sig is in use. What about storing a music library on the micro SD card? 512GB card are now available at affordable prices and one would have no additional loads or switching regulators. 

1 minute ago, nbpf said:

Apologies for the overlapping posts! I understand from your explanations that the additional USB ports are there for convenience and should ideally not be used if the dedicated USB audio output of the USBridge Sig is in use. What about storing a music library on the micro SD card? 512GB card are now available at affordable prices and one would have no additional loads or switching regulators. 

Great solution...but (always a but)

Your OS is loading from same source .

I am not a real software guy but always take care to separate my OS and my DATA. Use a USB key for your music (my 2 c)

5 minutes ago, allo.com said:

You are correct ..but with a qualified yes

The noise is not from switching elements its from connection from RF (Ghz) connection. Its much easier to attenuate in Ghz then Mhz. Also the amplitude (voltage peak ) its smaller in Ghz

So easier to mitigate , harder (Ghz) to bleed into analog (0-20Khz)

So for maximum SQ I will go from SIG with a wired ethernet connection to my Mac.

Matt

"I want to know why the musicians are on stage, not where". (John Farlowe)

2 minutes ago, allo.com said:

I am not a real software guy but always take care to separate my OS and my DATA. Use a USB key for your music (my 2 c)

You can store the OS and the music collection on different partitions of the micro SD card if you wish to do so. But a USB stick for the data would yield the same problems of a SSD drive, I would expect. Thus, since you have recommended not to use an SSD drive, I would expect you to also recommend not to use a USB key. Am I missing something? 

@allo.com

Hi, I'm sure this is an easy one :)

I've just received my USBridge Signature, and plugged my existing DigiOne Signature into it. Connected up the clean and dirty supplies.

Moode boots and configures

There is no LED lit on the DigiOneSig, and I get "Failed to open Alsa device "Hw:0,0" etc, which I assume means a lack of volts from the Bridge to the Digione.

What have I forgotten to do?

Cheers

Chris

2 minutes ago, allo.com said:

Again... yes. Sorry I don't mean to sound like a professor , but I love what I do .

SSD has switching regulators , Usb sticks have linear regulators..simply because linear reg are cheaper (and we are talking few cents)

In a world  thats dictated by price , USB keys are better for audio .

Thanks for the clarification!

30 minutes ago, allo.com said:

I would say maximum SQ a good USB stick = equal to wired Ethernet

For streaming from Qobuz the best solution for me:

WiFi >>>Mac>>>wired ethernet>>>USBridge Sig>>>Revolution DAC

Matt

"I want to know why the musicians are on stage, not where". (John Farlowe)

1 hour ago, suzywong said:

@allo.com

Hi, I'm sure this is an easy one :)

I've just received my USBridge Signature, and plugged my existing DigiOne Signature into it. Connected up the clean and dirty supplies.

Moode boots and configures

There is no LED lit on the DigiOneSig, and I get "Failed to open Alsa device "Hw:0,0" etc, which I assume means a lack of volts from the Bridge to the Digione.

What have I forgotten to do?

Cheers

Chris

Edit:  OK so if I take the lid off and plug the RPi supply into the dirty side of the DigiOneSig then it works, but I assume I'm bypassing all the regs on the bridge board. - still sounds good though :)

So what do I need to short out/link so that I can input the "dirty" supply to the rear panel?

Cheers

Chris

On 10/23/2019 at 2:16 PM, Aprobin said:

I was sufficiently pleased with my USBridge Signature that I ordered a 2nd to use with a Digione Signature in another system. My 2nd USBridge Sig has arrived, I’ve attached the Digione Sig to it and powered it up using a Shanti power supply.

I initially connected the Shanti 3A output to the USB-C on the USBridge and the the other output from the Shanti to the clean 5v connector on the Digione Sig. When powered up, the green LED on the Digione Sig board didn’t light and I couldn’t find the device in Roon (I’m using Ropieee on the USBridge) despite a couple of reboots of the USBridge and a reboot of Roon Core.

So, I unplugged the 5v supply to the USBridge and plugged it into the 5v dirty supply connection on the Digione Sig board. Now the Digione LED comes on, everything boots up ok, the device shows up in Roon and all is working fine. However, when I come to put the assembly into the case for the USBridge, how is the power arrangement going to work when I’ll need to power the USBridge itself from the USBridge’s own 5v connector, through the hole in the end panel of the case, instead of powering it via the Digione Signature?

On 10/23/2019 at 3:40 PM, allo.com said:

Hi

when did you buy the Digione Sig ? A while back we used a second diode , I can send you some pics , you need to bypass it

Hi Aprobin (& Allo)

I have the same problem. Did you get the pics from Allo?

3 hours ago, allo.com said:

How to Network Boot a Raspberry Pi Without a MicroSD Card

https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/network-boot-raspberry-pi-without-microsd/

One alternative is to boot from a USB device instead, but with the release of the Raspberry Pi 3 B+, things have improved. Now you can boot multiple Raspberry Pi’s over Ethernet, from a central server.

Presumably CM3 Lite could also accomplish something like that?

8 hours ago, allo.com said:

I would say maximum SQ a good USB stick = equal to wired Ethernet

I am very proud on how I designed the ethernet , not only we have the (normal) isolation transformer but we also use common mode chokes (qualified/designed for noisy automobiles environments) that became available in 2019 (Gb speeds) from Japan (murata brand)

Sorry for sidetracking the discussion, but since you mentioned cmc, is there a part no. that you'd recommend for a CLC filter application? Plan on using one at the input of the Digione clean side.

40 minutes ago, allo.com said:

My team ais advising me that we need to compile manually for Arch 64 and we will do so and have it on our website...but it will take at least 1 week (less than 2)

I usually compile kernels according to my needs, could I be informed, when it will be, of the procedure you use to compile the kernel for ARCH64?

I had now used this procedure
https://github.com/allocom/USBridgeSig/tree/master/ethernet

and then compiled the kernel....

But apparently then problems with the usb bridge arise....

My thanks here to Allan (Aprobin) for his assistance with mounting my existing DigiOneSig onto a USBridgeSig.

@Allo

You need to include details of the diode(s) mod in your documentation.

OTOH, delivery from Europe to the UK was phenomenally quick - ordered following Boris’s shenanigans in Parliament on Tuesday, delivered on Thursday!

Thanks to all.

oh, and I almost forget, the ADS+UBS combo sounds pretty d@mn fine!

Hi Allo and everyone,

Apologies for my lack of knowledge, but I didn't understand well the "kernel" stuff.

I actually have a USBridge feeding a RME ADI 2 DAC, software being Dietpi (Squeezelite) and it works flawlessly, especially it makes no noise when commuting from or to DSD or PCM. My music is stocked on a SSD wired on a RPi server (Dietpi and LMS on it). Server and player are plugged to an ethernet switch.

My DAC is compatible with linux but DSD is in DoP only, through a class compliant USB port. How do I know which software will work with my DAC? Which driver should I get to read my audio files without any trouble?

Thanx!

29 minutes ago, Bigga said:

Hi Allo and everyone,

Apologies for my lack of knowledge, but I didn't understand well the "kernel" stuff.

I actually have a USBridge feeding a RME ADI 2 DAC, software being Dietpi (Squeezelite) and it works flawlessly, especially it makes no noise when commuting from or to DSD or PCM. My music is stocked on a SSD wired on a RPi server (Dietpi and LMS on it). Server and player are plugged to an ethernet switch.

My DAC is compatible with linux but DSD is in DoP only, through a class compliant USB port. How do I know which software will work with my DAC? Which driver should I get to read my audio files without any trouble?

Thanx!

Only use 4.14 is your DAC has native DSD and its not compatible with Linux .

Yours does not accept native DSD , so you can use main image