Jump to content
matthias

ALLO USBridge Signature

Recommended Posts

On 10/15/2019 at 3:16 AM, allo.com said:

Hardware wise...yes. Driver is available in Rasbian . However from all the players , I think that PCP removed most of the drivers to make it light weight (so for PCP you need to add it manually)

Can you point to instructions for finding and installing the driver? On my Lenovo laptop running Ubuntu, the relevant drivers appear to come from a linux-modules-extra-* package with lots of irrelevant ones. None of them is called 8192eu, but my system recognizes the rtl8192eu dongle, so perhaps it is a more generic driver?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, odonnell said:

Can you point to instructions for finding and installing the driver? On my Lenovo laptop running Ubuntu, the relevant drivers appear to come from a linux-modules-extra-* package with lots of irrelevant ones. None of them is called 8192eu, but my system recognizes the rtl8192eu dongle, so perhaps it is a more generic driver?

 

 My advice would be to change to Moode Audio.

Moode has the driver for Comfast 802.11AC WiFi dongle for USBridge Sig.

 

Matt

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There seems to be a problem with Chord Mojo and Hugo with USBridge Sig (and RPI3) due to the latest kernel move (4.19)

 

  We are investigating and hopefully we can have a solution rather fast

 

In any case the 4.19 kernel seems to be rather unstable on USB audio . We will post news asap.

 

https://github.com/raspberrypi/linux/issues/3204

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/15/2019 at 3:16 AM, allo.com said:

Hardware wise...yes. Driver is available in Rasbian . However from all the players , I think that PCP removed most of the drivers to make it light weight (so for PCP you need to add it manually)

This other advice from ALLOsupport solved the problem for me (#5 in the thread):

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can echo the comments on sound quality from  #biosailor.

In my system this is a big step-up from the USBridge.

The sound is cleaner, more detailed and some harshness is removed. In particular, bass lines are much more natural and easy to follow. Complex passages become more coherent.

And this is with just a modest LPS (Tomanek)

Very happy so far.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Quick question: I managed to install moOde audio on a Raspberry 4, I can access the moOde player via web interface, start play, but I don't get any sound on my Devialet Expert 120 connected via USB. Would I need a driver to get it to work? Sorry if I'm in the wrong forum!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, allo.com said:

Hi Koomy

 

  is your DAC DSD native capable (linux) ?

 

Hello Allo.

My DAC is the Metrum Musette - PCM only I believe.

Edited by Koomy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, biosailor said:

Quick question: I managed to install moOde audio on a Raspberry 4, I can access the moOde player via web interface, start play, but I don't get any sound on my Devialet Expert 120 connected via USB. Would I need a driver to get it to work? Sorry if I'm in the wrong forum!

 Just curious, did you get moOde to work now on your USBridge Sig?

 

Matt

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was sufficiently pleased with my USBridge Signature that I ordered a 2nd to use with a Digione Signature in another system. My 2nd USBridge Sig has arrived, I’ve attached the Digione Sig to it and powered it up using a Shanti power supply.

 

I initially connected the Shanti 3A output to the USB-C on the USBridge and the the other output from the Shanti to the clean 5v connector on the Digione Sig. When powered up, the green LED on the Digione Sig board didn’t light and I couldn’t find the device in Roon (I’m using Ropieee on the USBridge) despite a couple of reboots of the USBridge and a reboot of Roon Core.

 

So, I unplugged the 5v supply to the USBridge and plugged it into the 5v dirty supply connection on the Digione Sig board. Now the Digione LED comes on, everything boots up ok, the device shows up in Roon and all is working fine. However, when I come to put the assembly into the case for the USBridge, how is the power arrangement going to work when I’ll need to power the USBridge itself from the USBridge’s own 5v connector, through the hole in the end panel of the case, instead of powering it via the Digione Signature?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Allo / all!

 

A little on the fence here.

I am really tempted to hit the buy button, but I have a couple of questions to the experts first.

 

My plan is to use a WLAN Raspberry Pi 4 as a LMS server and connect it to a PiCorePlayer driven USBridge Sig / Digione Sig with a short ethernet cable.

 

So:

 

  • Is PiCorePlayer OS fully integrated with the USBridge Sig?

 

  • Is it possible to reach the PCP OS through the Rpi/LMS/ethernet cable?

    Wired connection is not a possibility for me as of now.

 

Thanks in advance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/5/2019 at 5:45 PM, odonnell said:

I attached a Seagate Backup Plus 4GB USB drive to each of the WiFi/BT ports, and it appeared as /dev/sda /dev/sda1. A /dev/sg0 device also appeared, which I don't understand.  I was able to mount the disk and read it. I did not try to write it yet.

 

As I experimented and tried to figure out the best automounting method, it seemed that attaching and detaching may have messed up the rest of the file system on some occasions. But I don't have enough clear data to diagnose the problem yet. It always cleared up with a reboot. After a dietpi-update, the next attach/detach event did not cause a problem. That may be just random variation, or there may have been a fix to a file system bug in the update.

Further experience:

 

The USB disk unmounted spontaneously in the middle of an O!MPD database update. I suspect problem, such as insufficient power, with the "WiFI/BT" port. I had a similar experience with the same model of USB disk on some of the USB ports on my laptop, while other ports appeared to be reliable. I have not studied this problem further. I am automounting with udisks2 and udiskie, and I may have had initial problems with that configuration, so that confuses the issue.

 

I now run the USB disk on a separately powered (2.5 Amp) USB hub, along with a WiFi dongle. I had to introduce the hub because the WiFi dongle is wide, and blocks the second "WiFi/BT" port, but the extra power may be helpful also. I have run the disk for a very long time in this fashion without problem.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Aprobin said:

I was sufficiently pleased with my USBridge Signature that I ordered a 2nd to use with a Digione Signature in another system. My 2nd USBridge Sig has arrived, I’ve attached the Digione Sig to it and powered it up using a Shanti power supply.

 

I initially connected the Shanti 3A output to the USB-C on the USBridge and the the other output from the Shanti to the clean 5v connector on the Digione Sig. When powered up, the green LED on the Digione Sig board didn’t light and I couldn’t find the device in Roon (I’m using Ropieee on the USBridge) despite a couple of reboots of the USBridge and a reboot of Roon Core.

 

So, I unplugged the 5v supply to the USBridge and plugged it into the 5v dirty supply connection on the Digione Sig board. Now the Digione LED comes on, everything boots up ok, the device shows up in Roon and all is working fine. However, when I come to put the assembly into the case for the USBridge, how is the power arrangement going to work when I’ll need to power the USBridge itself from the USBridge’s own 5v connector, through the hole in the end panel of the case, instead of powering it via the Digione Signature?

 

Hi

 

 when did you buy the Digione Sig ? A while back we used a second diode , I can send you some pics , you need to bypass it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, odonnell said:

Further experience:

 

The USB disk unmounted spontaneously in the middle of an O!MPD database update. I suspect problem, such as insufficient power, with the "WiFI/BT" port. I had a similar experience with the same model of USB disk on some of the USB ports on my laptop, while other ports appeared to be reliable. I have not studied this problem further. I am automounting with udisks2 and udiskie, and I may have had initial problems with that configuration, so that confuses the issue.

 

I now run the USB disk on a separately powered (2.5 Amp) USB hub, along with a WiFi dongle. I had to introduce the hub because the WiFi dongle is wide, and blocks the second "WiFi/BT" port, but the extra power may be helpful also. I have run the disk for a very long time in this fashion without problem.

WiFI/BT output is a maximum 900mA ,

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, allo.com said:

Hi

 

 when did you buy the Digione Sig ? A while back we used a second diode , I can send you some pics , you need to bypass it


Hi, it was quite a while ago, probably more than 12 months. Let me PM you my e-mail address and I’ll take a look and see what’s involved

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeap at that time we had a second diode on the Digione. We removed after since it served no real purpose .

 

  If you wire the input to output (short) you can power from both RPI or "Dirty Side"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, matthias said:

 Just curious, did you get moOde to work now on your USBridge Sig?

 

Matt

Not yet. I am practising with a Raspi 4 first. Once I get it to work, I‘ll tackle the USBridge Sig.

Keep you posted.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, allo.com said:

WiFI/BT output is a maximum 900mA ,

I haven't found clear specs on the power requirement for the USB disk. So I don't know whether 900mA is sufficient.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, odonnell said:

I haven't found clear specs on the power requirement for the USB disk. So I don't know whether 900mA is sufficient.

 

I am on the hardware side , thats why I did not answer.

 

 By looking at what you describe . I think it can be done but use some switch between the PI and USBridge

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

×
×
  • Create New...