IGNORED

ALLO USBridge Signature

Hi @allo.com

I have some questions about the USBridge Signature.  I have the Digione Signature so am curious if the USBridge replaces the underlying RPi that comes with the Digione or is the USBridge sandwiched in between the RPi and DIgione?

If it replaces the RPi, rather than sandwiched in between, is it built using the RPi4 or 3+?

Also, with respect to the power, it appears that _unlike_ the Digione Signature player and its two USB type C connectors, the USBridge Signature player uses type C to power the RPi and a barrel type connector to supply clean power to USBridge/Digione.  Is that correct?

Oh, and one last question, can you share the differences between USBridge Sig and Digione Sig specifically regarding noise?  I'm believe USB will be able to deliver higher bitrate than using BNC, but outside of that, are they equal in limiting noise or is one quieter than the other?

Thank you.

Just received the new Allo USBridge Signature today. I tried to get it to work, unfortunately in vain. I flashed the latest Ropieee XL (that seems to support USBridge Signature) onto a micro SD card, but after starting up the USBridge Signature, it does not appear in my network, and hence, Audirvana will not see the device.

When I use the SD card supplied with the USBridge that runs DietPi, the USBridge is visible in my network, but when connected via USB to my Devialet, I hear no sound from my speakers. Needless to say that the Raspi 4 works flawlessly with Audirvana having the latest Ropieee XL version installed.

Bit of a shambles!

Any input is appreciated! Thanks!

Sorry, sorry, sorry for my previous post. My mistake, accidentally I flashed Ropieee and not RopieeXL onto the micro SD card. After re-inserting the proper card, all was fine and I am now listening to Audirvana via the USBridge signature connected to the Shanti LPS. Give me a bit time and I get back with my listening impressions.

46 minutes ago, biosailor said:

After just a bit of listening, I like what I am hearing! The first thing that was immediately evident was the level of detail I could hear. Listening to the Aurender N100H with its own app (Conductor), I was always under the impression the musi was a bit muddled, I was missing the details present in the music. 
This changed when I switched to the Raspi 4 and streaming through Roon. Much more detailed than the Aurender. However, the Raspi 4 sounded a bit harsh with Roon. It improved a bit when I fed the Raspi with the Shanti LPS. The Raspi became quieter, but it still sounded a tad harsh.

Then came the upgrade of my Mac Mini 2018 to Catalina! No functioning Roon any more! So I switched to Audirvana 3.5 and to my surprise, my system sounded more pleasant, albeit with a bit loss of detail. Nevertheless, I preferred Audirvana over Roon due to its ,milder‘ sound characteristics. Yet, there was a tiny bit of treble glare and a bit of ringing remaining.

And now the USBridge Signature: the loss in detail when going from Roon to Audirvana is totally compensated if even improved. What is truly wonderful is the total lack of the slight ringing that was persistent with the Raspi 4. The sound is extremely clean, but not over-detailed into clinical sounding. And TOTALLY quiet! Fascinating!

I need to listen more into the bass region. My first impression is that the bass is bit drier, more focused and better discernable in the entire sound ‚gemisch‘. In a ‚brightish‘ system as mine (Devialet Expert 120/ ATC SCM19 speakers) these improvements count a lot!

One thing I must say: Allo‘s service is outstanding, period! For both, the Shanti and the USBridge Signature, ordering and delivery went smoothly and extremely quickly: after mailing off the order, two days later I received the items. Outstanding service!

To be followed with more impressions...

Thanks for your impressions. Mine should be arriving soon!

16 hours ago, biosailor said:

While listening yesterday to Ausirvana 3.15, I very much liked the sound (and the newest iPad remote is great), even though I found the sound almost hyper-detailed. With Roon, however, the sound is just right! Perfectly balanced, smooth, full of fine delicate details. I listened totally emerged for hours, after which I said to myself: that‘s it, I don‘t need to go and further!

Thanks for sharing your listening impressions.

Interesting that with the USBridge Sig you prefer Roon over Audirvana.

Do you think that Ropieee is a better match for Roon and maybe another OS like Moode a better match for Audirvana?

I am just curious.

Matt

"I want to know why the musicians are on stage, not where". (John Farlowe)

5 hours ago, matthias said:

Thanks for sharing your listening impressions.

Interesting that with the USBridge Sig you prefer Roon over Audirvana.

Do you think that Ropieee is a better match for Roon and maybe another OS like Moode a better match for Audirvana?

I am just curious.

Matt

The difference between Audirvana and Roon isn‘t large. I perceived Roon to be a tad more pleasant. If Audirvana had a tiny bit of edginess, Roon lacked it entirely. As in both sessions, Ropieee XL was used, the, admittedly small, difference I heard must reside in the different algorithms. Roon uses RAAT as the streaming protocol, while Audirvana uses a different one. 

I‘m almost convinced that a different OS like Moode, etc. will produce a slightly different SQ. I‘ll try this suggestion out in the next weeks and report back.

7 hours ago, biosailor said:

The difference between Audirvana and Roon isn‘t large. I perceived Roon to be a tad more pleasant. If Audirvana had a tiny bit of edginess, Roon lacked it entirely. As in both sessions, Ropieee XL was used, the, admittedly small, difference I heard must reside in the different algorithms. Roon uses RAAT as the streaming protocol, while Audirvana uses a different one. 

I‘m almost convinced that a different OS like Moode, etc. will produce a slightly different SQ. I‘ll try this suggestion out in the next weeks and report back.

Yes, I am sure the differences are small, so it is a matter of fine-tuning or matching.

Audirvana uses UPnP. Searching different forums I found Audirvana and Moode to be a good match.

Thank you for trying it and sharing your impressions.

Matt

2 hours ago, matthias said:

Yes, I am sure the differences are small, so it is a matter of fine-tuning or matching.

Audirvana uses UPnP. Searching different forums I found Audirvana and Moode to be a good match.

Thank you for trying it and sharing your impressions.

Matt

Yes, you are right, of course. The differences could be due to different transport protocols (UPnP vs RAAT).

I'll try Moode and see how it goes with Audirvana. Thanks for the tip!

However, based on Roon's vastly better GUI, I might be sticking to Roon for the time being. But  it's always fun to optimise things. While I'm typing, I am downloading Moode.

Till soon and thanks!

44 minutes ago, biosailor said:

Yes, you are right, of course. The differences could be due to different transport protocols (UPnP vs RAAT).

I'll try Moode and see how it goes with Audirvana. Thanks for the tip!

However, based on Roon's vastly better GUI, I might be sticking to Roon for the time being. But  it's always fun to optimise things. While I'm typing, I am downloading Moode.

Till soon and thanks!

I could never give up Roon (because of the interface), but I prefer the way it sounds when outputting to Squeezelite.  

To enable this, go to Roon Settings, Setup, Enable Squeezebox Support = Yes.  In Device Setup (under Advanced), I also set Use Flac Compression to No.

Many of the audio OSs have Squeezelite built in.

2 hours ago, clipper said:

I could never give up Roon (because of the interface), but I prefer the way it sounds when outputting to Squeezelite.  

To enable this, go to Roon Settings, Setup, Enable Squeezebox Support = Yes.  In Device Setup (under Advanced), I also set Use Flac Compression to No.

Many of the audio OSs have Squeezelite built in.

If I understand correctly, setting 'Enable Squeezebox' in Roon requires a Squeezebox music player, correct? I don't have one, so I can't try.

32 minutes ago, biosailor said:

If I understand correctly, setting 'Enable Squeezebox' in Roon requires a Squeezebox music player, correct? I don't have one, so I can't try.

Squeezelite renderer is integrated in Moode, so you can use Moode for Roon via Squeezelite and for Audirvana via UPnP.

Matt

25 minutes ago, matthias said:

Squeezelite renderer is integrated in Moode, so you can use Moode for Roon via Squeezelite and for Audirvana via UPnP.

Matt

Tried moOde, flashed it onto an SSD, inserted it into the USBridge Sig, but couldn't get it to work at all. Is there some walk-through how to do it?

Thanks

18 minutes ago, biosailor said:

Tried moOde, flashed it onto an SSD, inserted it into the USBridge Sig, but couldn't get it to work at all. Is there some walk-through how to do it?

Thanks

The set-up guide is here:

https://github.com/moode-player/moode/blob/master/www/setup.txt

Otherwise you can contact Tim Curtis here:

https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/pc-based/271811-moode-audio-player-raspberry-pi-1496.html?s=114876cea8c0efe880df97e572b57b6b

or via his direct email: tim at moodeaudio dot org

Matt

1 minute ago, biosailor said:

Thanks for your help. I'm afraid, the github link is gobbledegook for my limited raspi knowledge. I shall contact Tim Curtis. Maybe he is patient enough to help me.

IMO, the best is to go via his direct email.

ATB

Matt