IGNORED

ALLO USBridge Signature

Help,

Just got USBridge signature with Shanti PS and I am trying to run Volumio on it with the recommended version from the allo website.

volumio-2.699-2020-02-05-pi.img

When I try and change my audio output device, all that shows is HDMI and Audio Jack.  No USB device is found.  I am hooked up to a SMSL M400 dac that works fine with a laptop running Volumio off of a usb stick.

Am I doing something wrong or is the Allo not a good match with the SMSL?

8 hours ago, SkylineEXS said:

Help,

Just got USBridge signature with Shanti PS and I am trying to run Volumio on it with the recommended version from the allo website.

volumio-2.699-2020-02-05-pi.img

When I try and change my audio output device, all that shows is HDMI and Audio Jack.  No USB device is found.  I am hooked up to a SMSL M400 dac that works fine with a laptop running Volumio off of a usb stick.

Am I doing something wrong or is the Allo not a good match with the SMSL?

Can you please login to volumio through ssh and share below command results (With SMSL M400 dac connected)

aplay -l   (Lower case of L)

lsusb

lsusb -t

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

I just replaced my CM3 module in my USBBridge with a CM4L and a CM4 to CM3 adapter and then I installed the MOODE software: it seems that my I2S Katana DAC is no more recognized as indicated in the enclosed screenshot.

Would someone give me a piece of advice to work out this situation ? Allo Katana uses 2, 3, 12, 19 and 21 GPIOs which are handled by the CM4 module, so I assume that there is no GPIO concerns...

Best regards,

Capture d’écran 2022-03-13 103028.png

And what does dmesg say ? Have you tried "dmesg | grep -i katana" ?
And do you have "dtoverlay=allo-katana-dac-audio" in the /boot/config.txt file ?

https://volumio.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/07/Katana-Tech-Manual.pdf

Et si cela ne fonctionne pas, je veux bien récupérer la CM4 et l'adaptateur (moyennant quelques euros) pour tester sur la mienne, avec dac en USB ? 😉

ROON + HQP / Hdplex H3-i5 + 400ATX >Gustard A26 (NAA twk) > SQM > Benchmark AHB2 / Recital Audio Illumine HEFA

My UsBBridge equipped with its CM3 Lite module works quite well with my I2S Katana DAC whatever the software I use (Moode. Volumio, Picoreplayer ...). Once I install my CM4 module none of the software I indicated seems to recognize the DAC.

On the other side I got messages from people using either a USB DAC or a different I2S DAC that they were facing such an issue like mine. I hope that someone (maybe from Allo) could have a piece of advice.

16 hours ago, pkdick said:

My UsBBridge equipped with its CM3 Lite module works quite well with my I2S Katana DAC whatever the software I use (Moode. Volumio, Picoreplayer ...). Once I install my CM4 module none of the software I indicated seems to recognize the DAC.

On the other side I got messages from people using either a USB DAC or a different I2S DAC that they were facing such an issue like mine. I hope that someone (maybe from Allo) could have a piece of advice.

We will check and update you.

My modified CM4 USBridge Signature worked well with 2 USB DACs I have without issue: Mytek Brooklyn Bridge and Holo Spring 3 L2.

It works very well as either HQPlayer NAA or Roon Bridge at DSD512 and Realtime Kernel. I'm even running this at fix CPU speed of 800MHz to have much cooler CPU temperature.

RoonROCK: NUC8i5 Akasa case > HQPlayer OS in HDPlex H3V3 case - i7-14700K > Oratek TOFU Raspberry Pi CM4  - Jussi's NAA OS > Holo Spring 3 L2 DAC with Preamp > DIY EL84PP amp > Snell Type E/III speakers

Ubiquiti EdgerouterX SFP / Sonore Optical Module / Linear Power Supply for all

16 hours ago, pkdick said:

Hello,

Here is what I get with dmesg:

allo-katana-codec 1-0030: Failed to read Chip or wrong Chip id: 0

Does this solve the problem ?

https://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?110256-Picoreplayer-Katana

Step 1: on KATANA place J30 jumper (close the circuit)
Step 2: on Micro Controller board, place jumper on J26 (position 2 & 3)

If not, @Matt Curry had not succeeded :

ROON + HQP / Hdplex H3-i5 + 400ATX >Gustard A26 (NAA twk) > SQM > Benchmark AHB2 / Recital Audio Illumine HEFA

• 1 month later...

Hi Everyone,

I installed Volumio V3 (virtuoso) in Allo USB signature and run usb out to IFI Zen DAC V2, this dac supports up to 384khz, but volumio limiting to 96khz, details from system probe

• Audio info
  • Hw audio configured: iFi (by AMR) USB Audio
  • Mixer type: None
  • Number of channels: 2
  • Supported sample rate: 44100 48000 88200 96000

Even the signal path from Roon says the 192khz file is converted to 96khz

The room setup says the IFI dac supports up to 96khz

Whether there is limitation in hardware, because there is no audio passthrough setting in volumio.

Thanks a lot, for the support

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

I am trying to squeeze most out of combination with the Allo Usbridge Signature, Digione signature and Shanti power supply. I have upgrade the fuse to a Synergistic Research Orange and use a Audioquest Hurricane powercord. Between the Allo and the rest of the network a placed a media convertor to use fiber. I am running MoOde. My dac has no usb input so Spdif is used.

I recently compared it to a dCS network bridge (more detailed but very dull in my set) and Lumin U1mini (modified) with sbooster power supply (more body, less space). In both cases i preferred the Allo. 

Trying to get it even beter performance I am looking into upgrading to CM4. Will this sound better and does it run with stock MoOde? 

Also can using Emmc bring some improvements?

I am curious about your experiences.

OK, so this is one that has surprised me. I run a full fat USBridgeSig/Digi1SIg/Shanti/MoodeAudio, pulling flac files from a Synology NAS over the Cat5E wired LAN to my Naim DAC and thence to an active Naim system.

For some time on the Naim forum there has been discussion of the effects of putting a Cisco 2960C Ethernet switch between one's network and streamer. Now as the 2960 is discontinued "old tech", you can pick up a s/h refurbished one from the "infamous" auction site for a modest cost, which I duly did.

I accept that it's early days of A-B testing in my system, but there may just be something in this. It does sound rather good!