IGNORED

ALLO USBridge Signature

@metronet

I think the reason why the CM4 CM3 converter board need the DC-DC converter is because the CM3 200pin SODIMM only provide 3.3VDC while the CM4 need 5VDC.

Is your custom Kernel based on real time Kernel?

RoonROCK: NUC8i5 Akasa case > HQPlayer OS in HDPlex: H3V3 case - i7-12700K > Oratek TOFU Raspberry Pi CM4  - Jussi's NAA OS > Holo Spring 3 L2 DAC with Preamp > DIY EL84PP amp > Snell Type E/III speakers

Ubiquiti EdgerouterX SFP / Sonore Optical Module / Linear Power Supply for all

On 8/31/2021 at 2:57 PM, metronet said:

Seeing a 2x improvement over CM3 during idle:

plot3_cm4_noload.png.a150e0695b2d809b798b8ab7fbe6db24.png

DSD256 continuous play with a few SSH/SCP  large file copy via the ax88179_178a ethernet:
plot3_cm4_dsd256.png.36fbc906ddc3c1caf3abe2e998cde311.png

Both tests were done using the dwc_otg host driver with FIQ acceleration (otg_mode=1 in config.txt)

The dwc2 overlay from the official CM4 documentation does not play music well with real time kernel.

thanks for testing!

Would u mind share how to install vitos and rt kernel on allo cm4?

I tried serval times and failed...

12 hours ago, caesee said:

thanks for testing!

Would u mind share how to install vitos and rt kernel on allo cm4?

I tried serval times and failed...

@caesee no worries, we'll figure it out soon :)

What was the issue you were having? Vitos default kernel should already be PREEMPT_RT (they recently provided the kernel source here)

I am not sure if it's the same for CM4 Lite but for CM4 with built-in storage/eMMC this is what I had to add:

/boot/config.txt

otg_mode=1

If you were able to login or SSH with root/root perhaps you could share the dmesg and/or lsmod output?

By the way I noticed it gets pretty hot with the case closed and on full load. This is probably due to the governor set to performance mode:

cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_governor
performance

Under clock/volt didn't bring down the temperature much so I think I'm gonna need one of those copper heatsink soon :)

arm_freq=1200
over_voltage=-2
gpu_freq=100

11 hours ago, metronet said:

@caesee no worries, we'll figure it out soon :)

What was the issue you were having? Vitos default kernel should already be PREEMPT_RT (they recently provided the kernel source here)

I am not sure if it's the same for CM4 Lite but for CM4 with built-in storage/eMMC this is what I had to add:

/boot/config.txt

otg_mode=1

If you were able to login or SSH with root/root perhaps you could share the dmesg and/or lsmod output?

By the way I noticed it gets pretty hot with the case closed and on full load. This is probably due to the governor set to performance mode:

cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_governor
performance

Under clock/volt didn't bring down the temperature much so I think I'm gonna need one of those copper heatsink soon :)

arm_freq=1200
over_voltage=-2
gpu_freq=100

I try the image with cm4 lite,and add otg_mode=1 to config.txt.

But still it can't connect to internet.

4de9cce8dd2fb3e1.jpg

3 hours ago, caesee said:

I try the image with cm4 lite,and add otg_mode=1 to config.txt.

But still it can't connect to internet.

Right! Assuming your USB is working (keyboard works etc...) the reason why the IP is not showing might be due to the CM4 internal PHY ethernet is showing up as the eth0. You can try placing this device tree blob in your boot overlays folder:

/boot/overlays/

noeth.dtbo

This will disable the internal ethernet and promote the ax88179_178a from eth1 to eth0:

/boot/config.txt

otg_mode=1
dtoverlay=noeth

And if you use NAA, here is a package for Vitos (disable Roon bridge if you've installed it via the mobile App)
hqplayer-network-audio-daemon-4.1.1-2-armv7h.pkg.tar.xz

pacman -U hqplayer-network-audio-daemon-4.1.1-2-armv7h.pkg.tar.xz

8 hours ago, metronet said:

Right! Assuming your USB is working (keyboard works etc...) the reason why the IP is not showing might be due to the CM4 internal PHY ethernet is showing up as the eth0. You can try placing this device tree blob in your boot overlays folder:

/boot/overlays/

noeth.dtbo 218 B · 3 downloads

This will disable the internal ethernet and promote the ax88179_178a from eth1 to eth0:

/boot/config.txt

otg_mode=1
dtoverlay=noeth

And if you use NAA, here is a package for Vitos (disable Roon bridge if you've installed it via the mobile App)

After these steps, ip 192.168.2.16 appears on screen .

But I chk my router the ip is not on the list

my getway is 192.168.2.11

I connect with browser here is snapshot

DSC_0595.JPG

Screenshot_20210908-124736.png

Fantastic! I think you are good to go?

From here you can either install your favorite choice of player manually or you can download the VitOS Manager from the App/Play store to manage the device.

(It should say something like Compute Module 4 once it's detected within the App)

Let me know how it goes. Cheers!

37 minutes ago, metronet said:

From here you can either install your favorite choice of player manually or you can download the VitOS Manager from the App/Play store to manage the device.

(It should say something like Compute Module 4 once it's detected within the App)

Nope....

I don`t why the ip 192.168.2.16 is not on my route list. but still i can access it on browser

So the vitos manager can`t find the device.

6 hours ago, metronet said:

success!!! thanks!!

On 9/8/2021 at 3:54 AM, metronet said:

/boot/overlays/

noeth.dtbo 218 B · 4 downloads

/boot/config.txt

otg_mode=1
dtoverlay=noeth

Thank you for the guideline.

I have also removed the DC to DC converter ETA1096 and use 5VDC from pin 2 of the GPIO to connect to pin 7 directly. 

I managed to install it and can configure it via Android app.

However, I don't want to use Roon Bridge so would like to install HQP NAA.

I have download your file to my computer but don't know where to copy to my SSD so that I could use your "pacman" command above to install it.

Could you help to explain how to NAA cause I'm not familiar with Linux?

Thank you

Raspberry CM4 on USBridge Sig_Sml.jpg

RoonROCK: NUC8i5 Akasa case > HQPlayer OS in HDPlex: H3V3 case - i7-12700K > Oratek TOFU Raspberry Pi CM4  - Jussi's NAA OS > Holo Spring 3 L2 DAC with Preamp > DIY EL84PP amp > Snell Type E/III speakers

8 hours ago, chipvn said:

I have download your file to my computer but don't know where to copy to my SSD so that I could use your "pacman" command above to install it.

Of course, no worries. Since you have the CM4 Lite the easiest is probably for you to put the NAA package in the SD card (right beside the config.txt file should be fine) and either login using a keyboard or SSH into the host with root/root:

ssh root@192.168.1.101
pacman -U /boot/hqplayer-network-audio-daemon-4.1.1-2-armv7h.pkg.tar.xz

^ the first (ssh) command is not required if you logged in to a TTY locally using a keyboard. oh and you might want to change the default password since you're there :)

passwd

7 hours ago, metronet said:

Of course, no worries. Since you have the CM4 Lite the easiest is probably for you to put the NAA package in the SD card (right beside the config.txt file should be fine) and either login using a keyboard or SSH into the host with root/root:

Thank you. I successfully installed NAA and set it auto run when boot up using systemctl.

I could not check the temperature but I don't feel the case get any significant hotter than when using the CM3+. Anyway, waiting for my brass heat sink to arrive install and close the box.

It works great with DSD256 both as Roon Bridge and as HQP NAA.

This is the first time I could run DSD256 with USBridge Signature with real time kernel.

I think the sound is a bit rounder comparing to the CK kernel on GentooPlayer. The top end is less sharp so might sound like less detail.

Will let the CM4 and the converter board run for a couple of days to see if the sound signature change further or not.

On 7/26/2021 at 1:51 PM, caesee said:

Here is update.

After almost two days working on cm4 usbrisge sig .Finally everything is ok. I tried several systems,and gentooplayer save the day.

At last. Gentooplayer with st kernel is the same with moode audio ,both roon bridge and naa are working,but maybe alsa driver is the same bad. lots of noise,and roon bridge can`t enable dac, my dac is rme adi2.

Now Gentooplayer with ck-st kernel and select dac as usb dac.It seems hqplayer naa is nice,both function and voice. i can play dsd 256 smooth.

roon bridge is still broken.

Can you help to explain how could you install GentooPlayer on this modified CM4 USBridge Sig?

I downloaded the GentooPlayer RP4 image and burnt to an MicroSD card.

However, it get stuck in the 1st booting step regardless of using default setting or otg_mode 1 with / without noeth.dtbo overlay method that @metronet advised for the VitOS.

4 minutes ago, chipvn said:

Can you help to explain how could you install GentooPlayer on this modified CM4 USBridge Sig?

I downloaded the GentooPlayer RP4 image and burnt to an MicroSD card.

However, it get stuck in the 1st booting step regardless of using default setting or otg_mode 1 with / without noeth.dtbo overlay method that @metronet advised for the VitOS.

on gentooplayer without modifying anything should start, the kernel for cm4 is already included....where does it get blocked?

31 minutes ago, antonellocaroli said:

on gentooplayer without modifying anything should start, the kernel for cm4 is already included....where does it get blocked?

This is where I got stucked without changing anything from the GentooPlayer RP4 V6.30

The cursor is just blinking there without progressing any further

20210911_131534.jpg

3 minutes ago, chipvn said:

This is where I got stucked without changing anything from the GentooPlayer RP4 V6.30

20210911_131534.jpg

it's not locked, it's started, gentooplayer has not enabled, by default, the login screen.

if it is connected to the lan network you should find it and connect with a browser to ip:5000

from what i see in the picture it seems that it is not connected to a router with a lan cable

1 hour ago, antonellocaroli said:

it's not locked, it's started, gentooplayer has not enabled, by default, the login screen.

if it is connected to the lan network you should find it and connect with a browser to ip:5000

from what i see in the picture it seems that it is not connected to a router with a lan cable

It has not started yet. It is connected to my LAN via LAN cable all the time. I could not find any new joined device in my LAN (from my router management utility).

If you it is bot locked / hang as per your advice, then might be the USBridge Sig ASIX ethernet driver could not be loaded and thus the LAN port is not working.

Does your RP4 image have the ASIX driver built-in?

Thank you 

18 hours ago, chipvn said:

Thank you for the guideline.

I have also removed the DC to DC converter ETA1096 and use 5VDC from pin 2 of the GPIO to connect to pin 7 directly. 

I managed to install it and can configure it via Android app.

However, I don't want to use Roon Bridge so would like to install HQP NAA.

Thank you

Raspberry CM4 on USBridge Sig_Sml.jpgI hv contact the designer.An upgrade version hv been produced.

With shorten Jp1 or Jp 2 to get right adapter!

9b1f6319ddd1273235303ce21bc405d4.jpg

2 hours ago, antonellocaroli said:

Yes.

is the led on the lan connector on?

No, the lead on the Lan connector is not on.

Power off and power on again and it stopped at the same step.