IGNORED

ALLO USBridge Signature

finally resolved, today, grounding my USBridge Sig to the Shanti LPS and Shanti to an AC iPurifier

really impressed by the difference it made :)
(despite being extremely skeptical about these things)

Qnap HS-264 NAS (powered by an HD-Plex 100w LPS) > Cirrus7 Nimbini v2.5 Media Edition i7-8559U/32/512 running Roon ROCK (powered by a Keces P8 LPS) > Lumin U2  > Metrum Acoustics Adagio NOS digital preamplifier > First Watt SIT 3  power amplifier (or Don Garber Fi "Y" 6922 tube preamplifier + Don Garber Fi "X" 2A3 SET power amplifier, both powered from an Alpha-Core BP-30 Isolated Symmetrical Power Transformer) > Klipsch Cornwall III

headphones system:

Cirrus 7 > Lumin U2 > Metrum Acoustics Adagio > Pathos Aurium amplifier (powered by an UpTone Audio JS-2 LPS) > Focal Clear headphones

sorry: forgot to take pictures while doing it and now... it's a (dark) mess back there! 🙄

Qnap HS-264 NAS (powered by an HD-Plex 100w LPS) > Cirrus7 Nimbini v2.5 Media Edition i7-8559U/32/512 running Roon ROCK (powered by a Keces P8 LPS) > Lumin U2  > Metrum Acoustics Adagio NOS digital preamplifier > First Watt SIT 3  power amplifier (or Don Garber Fi "Y" 6922 tube preamplifier + Don Garber Fi "X" 2A3 SET power amplifier, both powered from an Alpha-Core BP-30 Isolated Symmetrical Power Transformer) > Klipsch Cornwall III

headphones system:

Cirrus 7 > Lumin U2 > Metrum Acoustics Adagio > Pathos Aurium amplifier (powered by an UpTone Audio JS-2 LPS) > Focal Clear headphones

On 6/23/2020 at 8:14 AM, Crom said:

I am powering the USBridge Sig with an Allo Shanti currently but I would like to introduce Ian's ConditionerPI which introduces an ultracapacitor filter into the GPIO power pins, see here: https://github.com/iancanada/DocumentDownload/tree/master/UltraCapacitorPowerSupply/ConditionerPi

I already added a small ultra/super capacitor across the 5v input of the signature with a small improvement and my question is whether it's possible to power the USBridge signature from the GPIO or is power input only at the USB-C socket.

thanks,
Crom

Been a while Crom but you have me watching this with interest!!

thanks

I own Allo USBridge Signature and Allo Shanti. Very happy with the sound.

Recently I saw a new product by Ian Canada - ConditionerPI.

https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/raspberry-pi-and-other-sbc-accessories/ian-canada-conditionerpi-ultra-capacitor-conditioner-board-for-raspberry-pi-p-14596.html

It can be added between Allo Shanti and Allo USBridge Signature using USB-C connectors or even mounted directly on Allo USBridge Signature using GPIO.

Does it make sense to try this device? Is there any improvement to be had, or what I have now is good enough? Can it be mounted on GPIO or only the USB-C connection works?

Thank you!

Marcin

• 1 month later...

I have been thinking about trying the Allo DigiOne Signature.  Currently I am running Roon HQPlayer via an sMS-200Ultra Neo / txUSBultra, which feed a Mutec MC3+USB / REF10.  The thing is, I have achieved very good sound with the MC3/REF10, nearly as good as the SOtM kit, if I feed the MC3+USB via S/PDIF rather than USB, which in my case is using an aging Arcam Blu-Ray as a source, playing music from a USB drive.

I think it is a fair bet that that the Allo Signature would be better than the Arcam, so considering the relatively low cost of the Signature, it is worth a punt I think.  (or am I crazy?)  I realise that decent power for the "clean side" is a good idea, but I already have a couple of Paul Hynes SR4's, amongst others, so this is not an issue.

I see you can buy the Allo DigiOne Signature with the RPi 3 Model or RPi 4 Model B.  I presume the RPi4 is the one to get?

Mindful that my aim is to run HQPlayer NAA, is there anything else I should worry about?  Is it a case of simply flashing the HQPlayer NAA image to an SD card?  Or is there a better way of doing this, RoPieee for example? 

I know nothing about RPi software, RoPieee or anything else, so any advice or tips would be appreciated.

Windows 11 PC, Roon, HQPlayer, Focus Fidelity convolutions, iFi Zen Stream, Paul Hynes SR4, Mutec REF10, Mutec MC3+USB, Devialet 1000Pro, KEF Blade.  Plus Pro-Ject Signature 12 TT for playing my 'legacy' vinyl collection. Desktop system; RME ADI-2 DAC fs, Meze Empyrean headphones.

2 hours ago, Confused said:

RoPieee for example?

👍

nothing better out there for a Pi based Roon endpoint

get RoPieee XL: it also has HQPlayer NAA on board

headphones system:

21 hours ago, pl_svn said:

👍

nothing better out there for a Pi based Roon endpoint

get RoPieee XL: it also has HQPlayer NAA on board

This is going to sound like a complete newbie question, but to be honest I am a newbie when it comes to Pi software.

I notice that on the ALLO website you can order the DigiOne Signature Player with "DietPi + ALLO GUI".  I note that DietPi also offers HQPlayer NAA, plus pretty much any other streaming protocol I might want to use.

So what advantages does RoPieee offer over DietPi?  is it functionality, sound quality, stability, or maybe something else?

Windows 11 PC, Roon, HQPlayer, Focus Fidelity convolutions, iFi Zen Stream, Paul Hynes SR4, Mutec REF10, Mutec MC3+USB, Devialet 1000Pro, KEF Blade.  Plus Pro-Ject Signature 12 TT for playing my 'legacy' vinyl collection. Desktop system; RME ADI-2 DAC fs, Meze Empyrean headphones.

9 minutes ago, Confused said:

what advantages does RoPieee over DietPi?

burn image to a microSD card, insert it in the USBridge, turn it on, wait a few minutes, open a web browser to set a *very* few things via a very simple, graphical, UI and... forget about it forever ;)

Screenshot 2020-09-13 at 13.32.08.jpg

headphones system:

Does anyone have any thoughts re the RPi 3 Model B versus the RPi 4 Model B with the signature?  I was all set to go for the RPi 4, then saw some comment that the RPi 3 has lower noise and sounds better.

I am learning towards the RPi 4, simply because it s higher spec and likely to be better for future compatibility, but maybe there really is a SQ benefit for the RPi 3?

45 minutes ago, Judelow said:

The RPi4 USB bus does not have the issues that the RPi3 did

though Allo's USBridge Signature is not affected in the slightest: it uses an RPi3 Compute Module whilst both USB and Ethernet buses are on the Allo designed board

headphones system:

• 2 weeks later...

I had lots of issues with pops and crackles when I first bought the USBSig and Shanti (running dietpi at the time, HQPlayer running with NAA on the Sig, DSD 256 into my Topping D90). It took me a long time to eliminate them, and I only got there once I installed Gentoo player, and even then, after trying myriad settings. Anyway, I forgot about the pops after a while, and yesterday I heard Ropieee XL had NAA now included so I wanted to give it a go, so I downloaded, burned on a mem card and swapped over. I have Ropieee installed on two RPI4 endpoints around the house and it is great. I gave it a listen last night, and I fancy I can hear a few pops and clicks again. Has anyone else noticed anything like this?

1 hour ago, allo.com said:

D90 is not compatible (DSD) on Linux...its an issue from the DAC thats well known

Dear Allo team please explanation  about these issues. I own a Topping D90 and have never heard about these issues!

I also own a Usbridge Signature too and donot have any problems. If these are any problems with for example RME or Topping D 90 dac how to resolve the problem. 
Thats a better approach?

Ethernet::4x Bonn Silent Angel 8P, Afterdark Emperor Doublr  Crown Masterclock and Cybershaft 75 Ohm,Mini Circuits convertor,Uptone EtherRegen with 75Ohm. SOTM Cat CAT 7.

Audio: Auralic Vega G2.1, Cambridge Edge W, Kef Reference 3 speakers.  
Power: Farad super 3 (2x) , Keces P8 ( 2 Uptone LPS1.2 ) Afterdark 5V: 

Cables:Meicord Opal, SOTM Cat7 with filtering, Ghent Audio DC , Farad Level 2, Sharkwire speaker cable

5 hours ago, rossco said:

I had lots of issues with pops and crackles when I first bought the USBSig and Shanti (running dietpi at the time, HQPlayer running with NAA on the Sig, DSD 256 into my Topping D90). It took me a long time to eliminate them, and I only got there once I installed Gentoo player, and even then, after trying myriad settings. Anyway, I forgot about the pops after a while, and yesterday I heard Ropieee XL had NAA now included so I wanted to give it a go, so I downloaded, burned on a mem card and swapped over. I have Ropieee installed on two RPI4 endpoints around the house and it is great. I gave it a listen last night, and I fancy I can hear a few pops and clicks again. Has anyone else noticed anything like this?

The problem is with RPI4s not only with the Allo?
On the Allo, I remain convinced that the implementation of the ASIX chip with a USB2 bus is not optimal (vs same chip on USB3 bus).

I didn't have problem with the USBridge classic and a USB3 gigabit adapter with ASIX chip
Like you, I use GentooPlayer and it's very good.
The worries take place on important flows (DSD256 or PCM 705/768 for me). In DSD128 or PCM 384, no problem.
On the other hand, try to modify the settings of the ethernet card of your server, this has an impact on the endpoint.

ROON + HQP / Hdplex H3-i5 + 400ATX >Gustard A26 (NAA twk) > SQM > Benchmark AHB2 / Recital Audio Illumine HEFA

18 hours ago, Zauurx said:

The problem is with RPI4s not only with the Allo?
On the Allo, I remain convinced that the implementation of the ASIX chip with a USB2 bus is not optimal 
Like you, I use GentooPlayer and it's very good.

I am not using Gentoo But DieptPi on the Allo

lSign . And HQplayer 4.6 on IMac.

Ethernet::4x Bonn Silent Angel 8P, Afterdark Emperor Doublr  Crown Masterclock and Cybershaft 75 Ohm,Mini Circuits convertor,Uptone EtherRegen with 75Ohm. SOTM Cat CAT 7.

Audio: Auralic Vega G2.1, Cambridge Edge W, Kef Reference 3 speakers.  
Power: Farad super 3 (2x) , Keces P8 ( 2 Uptone LPS1.2 ) Afterdark 5V: 

Cables:Meicord Opal, SOTM Cat7 with filtering, Ghent Audio DC , Farad Level 2, Sharkwire speaker cable

On 9/23/2020 at 10:53 AM, allo.com said:

D90 is not compatible (DSD) on Linux...its an issue from the DAC thats well known

I think you need to give a more fulsome explanation than that.

What exactly is the issue you refer to?

Why is this an issue for the DAC? Why are there no issues with certain configurations, e.g. Gentoo player, and issues with others, e.g. Dietpi?

I find this response really quite odd, and not the type of response I am used to seeing from Allo.

5 minutes ago, rossco said:

What exactly is the issue you refer to?

https://community.roonlabs.com/t/topping-d90-mqa-ropieee/113073

look on ASR too

headphones system:

non MQA is not affrected

issue depends on the XMOS receiver chip

headphones system:

11 hours ago, Isaacc7 said:

The D90 MQA version is not compatible, the regular one is fine. Playing DSD on it fro my USBridge right now with no problem. 

I am back to Gentooplayer, with NAA enabled, playing fine. I have also lowered the speed of the device I believe, running at 800mhz. If I swap to other software, like Dietpie, then the pops occur. I am playing DSD256, and using filters in HQ Player. What software are you running?

4 hours ago, rossco said:

I am back to Gentooplayer, with NAA enabled, playing fine. I have also lowered the speed of the device I believe, running at 800mhz. If I swap to other software, like Dietpie, then the pops occur. I am playing DSD256, and using filters in HQ Player. What software are you running?

i use Moode. I set the processor to “performance” as I had heard that had helped in the past but I don’t think I have ever had the pops and clicks. I definitely had them running straight from a Pi 3 with Volumio.