IGNORED

ALLO USBridge Signature

• 2 weeks later...

I have both digione signature and USBridge Signature.

In the Digione Signature, I now have MoOde booted from a externally powered 1TB hard disk which is connected to one of the USB ports of Raspberry pi board.

I have a separate 900GB NTFS partition on the hard disk where all the music files are stored.

I observed that library build up of around 800GB of music files was blazing fast and the system is overall very stable.

When running off the SD card with the files on a hard disk, the library management was quirky.

In technical terms, it it better to have MoOde OS and the music files on a single large hard drive or is it better to take the SD card route. 

In USBRidge Signature the USB boot is not working and I have see if there is a work around. However I believe ALLO does not recommend connecting a hard drive to the spare USB ports to play music from, but can a externally powered drive be connected? 

17 hours ago, suzywong said:

I have three streamers, including a USBridgeSig+DigiOneSig.
Each runs MoOde from it’s own SD card

All pull FLACs from a Synology NAS over the LAN (wired and wireless)

all work just fine,. 

I don't want to setup a NAS. Just want to know if single hard drive is a better solution.  

I also don't care for NAS. I reported on a successful USB-disk configuration here:

Allo staff have commented elsewhere on connections to the USB WiFi port. Two potential problems are injection of noise into the USBridge Signature and insufficient power for the disk. I may have experienced the power problem in early experiments, but I introduced a separate powered USB Hub and found the power sufficient. I expect that SD storage takes less power than my spinning disk, but that's a wild guess. I have no idea about the noise question. I never noticed any noise, but I have the impression that Allo worries about electronically detectable noise whether or not they are sure that a listener actually hears it.

I am powering the USBridge Sig with an Allo Shanti currently but I would like to introduce Ian's ConditionerPI which introduces an ultracapacitor filter into the GPIO power pins, see here: https://github.com/iancanada/DocumentDownload/tree/master/UltraCapacitorPowerSupply/ConditionerPi

I already added a small ultra/super capacitor across the 5v input of the signature with a small improvement and my question is whether it's possible to power the USBridge signature from the GPIO or is power input only at the USB-C socket.

thanks,
Crom

19 minutes ago, naum said:

Hi,

I don't have a Shanti power supply. What is the best way to ground the USbridge SIg?

Thanks

look in the manual on the allo site. I was on there earlierlooking for an answer to my question. On the PCB there's at least one earthing point marked that i saw.

I've been running Ropieee for a while but figured I'd maybe try the latest DietPi to see if there's any difference.  Before I do, does anyone know If the latest DietPi version includes the correct ASIX driver or do you still need to manually install?

[br]QNAP+ -> Allo DigiOne Signature -> RequisiteAudio D3rs ->  McIntosh C52 -> McIntosh MC-275 MK VI -> Harbeth 30.1's via Roon

Just canvassing opinions here....  I'm currently running RPi3 / DigiOne (ifi PSU) > Qutest (ifi PSU) and ordered USBridge Sig + DigiOneSig + Shanti

Wondering where the Shanti will be best used - obviously the clean side of the DigiOneSig for the 1A output, but USBSig or Qutest for the 3A is my question?  

I'll be doing my own tests once it's all arrived, but interested to hear thoughts from the hive mind!

6 hours ago, steves999uk said:

Just canvassing opinions here....  I'm currently running RPi3 / DigiOne (ifi PSU) > Qutest (ifi PSU) and ordered USBridge Sig + DigiOneSig + Shanti

Wondering where the Shanti will be best used - obviously the clean side of the DigiOneSig for the 1A output, but USBSig or Qutest for the 3A is my question?  

I'll be doing my own tests once it's all arrived, but interested to hear thoughts from the hive mind!

I'm running almost the same setup, but with a Hugo 2 rather than a Qutest, and I've found the Shanti to make the biggest difference when powering both inputs for the USBridge/DigiOne combo.  I tired it powering just the clean side and the Hugo 2, but didn't notice much of an improvement and found powering both inputs of the Allo setup to sound better.

Hugo 2's batteries may play a roll in that though.

8 hours ago, dontfeedphils said:

I'm running almost the same setup, but with a Hugo 2 rather than a Qutest, and I've found the Shanti to make the biggest difference when powering both inputs for the USBridge/DigiOne combo.  I tired it powering just the clean side and the Hugo 2, but didn't notice much of an improvement and found powering both inputs of the Allo setup to sound better.

That's interesting... as you say, the Hugo's battery powering might well have a bearing on it....  I'm looking forward to hearing what difference the UBBb sig and DOne Sig make....  I'm loving what I've got so far, so any improvement will be awesome!

On 7/2/2020 at 11:59 PM, dontfeedphils said:

So it's arrived...up and running with Shanti powering clean and dirty on the usbridgesig/digionesig .... now for too busy enjoying the music to be bothered with testing by swapping anything around!!  Loving it so far......

Hi! I have recently purchased the USBridge Sig, running on Moode, feeding an external DAC. Overall very satisfied with the sound quality. However, I have a persistent problem with streaming Tidal via control through MConnect on iPhone. Whenever I want to skip a song, after listening only a few seconds to a song, it changes to the next song but stops playing. It does not happen if I first listen a good 10-15 seconds to a song then try to skip. Did anyone experience such an issue? (I am running Moode 6.5.2 but did not do any Asix driver updates to the Allo itself). Thanks in advance for any help you might offer. 

I have one more issue... I am trying to update the ASIX driver but have failed to do so. I use Moode (6.5.2) and followed the instructions/script via SSH. It all goes well but at the end I get "install.sh: Permission denied" line. No idea how to overcome. Any help will be appreciated.

I did some reading and tried the same ASIX driver update instructions but with adding "sudo" to the beginning of the instruction line (which I understand is equivalent t RUN?). This time the ASIX driver update seems to have gone through successfully and I got the notification to reboot the USBridge to activate the driver. I did so... and I think I am now in a bigger hole... I can no longer connect to the USBridge. I see no blinking lights at the ethernet connection at the switch. Did I brick the USBridge? I will truly appreciate some guidance/help.

5 minutes ago, yenibahar said:

I did some reading and tried the same ASIX driver update instructions but with adding "sudo" to the beginning of the instruction line (which I understand is equivalent t RUN?). This time the ASIX driver update seems to have gone through successfully and I got the notification to reboot the USBridge to activate the driver. I did so... and I think I am now in a bigger hole... I can no longer connect to the USBridge. I see no blinking lights at the ethernet connection at the switch. Did I brick the USBridge? I will truly appreciate some guidance/help.

I am finding that sudo reboot doesn't work. Try sudo poweroff and then unplug the power cable and reconnect. That should make it reboot.

i5 7600 fanless pc running Ubuntu 22.04 and HQPlayer Desktop > Cisco switch > 10Gtek fibre network > Raspberry Pi4 HQPlayerNAA > IFi purifier 3 > SRC-DX > Chord Qutest > Jotunheim 2 preamplifier > Ncore monoblocks > KEF R5 speakers.

Just now, yenibahar said:

The USBridge no longer appears on the network. :-(( I cannot connect to it.

Then just unplug the power cable and reconnect it

i5 7600 fanless pc running Ubuntu 22.04 and HQPlayer Desktop > Cisco switch > 10Gtek fibre network > Raspberry Pi4 HQPlayerNAA > IFi purifier 3 > SRC-DX > Chord Qutest > Jotunheim 2 preamplifier > Ncore monoblocks > KEF R5 speakers.

I found the problem... Somehow the OS on the SD card might have been corrupted in the process. I used a backup SD withe the previous OS version and the USBridge is back alive :-)) . I will reflash that SD with the latest OS and see. Should probably work.

4 minutes ago, yenibahar said:

I found the problem... Somehow the OS on the SD card might have been corrupted in the process. I used a backup SD withe the previous OS version and the USBridge is back alive :-)) . I will reflash that SD with the latest OS and see. Should probably work.

I think Tim already uses the latest asix driver so you don't need to update anything unless you have also run sudo rpi-update to get the latest and greatest kernel. It's only with the latest kernel installed that you need the updated asix driver that corresponds to that kernel. The latest kernel that Allo support today is 5.4.50 in either 32bit form (v7) or 64bit (V8)