IGNORED

ALLO USBridge Signature

20 minutes ago, matthias said:

Interesting,

so Unison does not seem to be the last word for USB or the output of the DS is superior to the output of the UBS?

For me, SPDIF still has the edge, but as I say, it’s close. It just ticks my boxes, somebody else might tip the other way in this comparison. I think Unison USB is a big step forward and for most users it will be better than typical SPDIF sources. I think this is a bit trickier to call, extraordinarily good USB vs extraordinarily good SPDIF.

49 minutes ago, matthias said:

so Unison does not seem to be the last word for USB or the output of the DS is superior to the output of the UBS?

some further thoughts about this ... Unison USB in it’s current form for sure won’t be Schiit’s last word for USB, hence the decision to make the Bifrost 2’s USB input module modular and upgradeable. And will we see a clean-powered USB HAT for the USBridgeSig from Allo in the future? I don’t think the USBridgeSig is the last word either. Always room for improvement. I think SPDIF and USB will continue to play cat and mouse for some time to come

52 minutes ago, zacho said:

what case options does one have if not for the allo aluminium case. the extra umbilical cord connecting the ubs to the digisig irks me after making the effort of getting USB C connectors to terminate diy DC cables. 

Here’s a suggestion,

With the rear end plate removed from the case, file a notch in the top edge with a round file, with the end plate fitted, plug your existing USB-C terminated clean supply cable directly into the Digione signature and dress the cable through the notch, then fit the lid.

Maybe not the prettiest solution but it’s the rear panel so you’re unlikely to be looking at it much. If you ever need to transport the power supply and USBridge it’s easy enough to remove the lid and unplug the cable.

I’ll probably terminate the clean supply cable with a USB-C connector and do something like that myself when I get a bit of time.

6 minutes ago, Aprobin said:

some further thoughts about this ... Unison USB in it’s current form for sure won’t be Schiit’s last word for USB, hence the decision to make the Bifrost 2’s USB input module modular and upgradeable. And will we see a clean-powered USB HAT for the USBridgeSig from Allo in the future? I don’t think the USBridgeSig is the last word either. Always room for improvement. I think SPDIF and USB will continue to play cat and mouse for some time to come

I very much hope that the USBridgeSig is the last Allo word! What i would like to see is a board without any hard wired interfaces that can be extended with USB, S/PDIF, wired and wireless ethernet, etc. ports according to the users' needs.  

5 hours ago, Aprobin said:

Here’s a suggestion,

With the rear end plate removed from the case, file a notch in the top edge with a round file, with the end plate fitted, plug your existing USB-C terminated clean supply cable directly into the Digione signature and dress the cable through the notch, then fit the lid.

Maybe not the prettiest solution but it’s the rear panel so you’re unlikely to be looking at it much. If you ever need to transport the power supply and USBridge it’s easy enough to remove the lid and unplug the cable.

I’ll probably terminate the clean supply cable with a USB-C connector and do something like that myself when I get a bit of time.

I plan on bypassing the Type-C altogether, and go direct from the good ol’ 5.5x2.1 to the digione sig clean input. I also plan on adding a CLC filter between the connector and PCB.

This obviously voids warranty, but IMO a small price to pay for a good (potential) SQ increase.

7 hours ago, nbpf said:

I very much hope that the USBridgeSig is the last Allo word! What i would like to see is a board without any hard wired interfaces that can be extended with USB, S/PDIF, wired and wireless ethernet, etc. ports according to the users' needs.  

Sorry for the confusion: what I meant to say is that I very much hope that the USBridgeSig is not the last Allo word!

2 hours ago, uniquesnowflake said:

I plan on bypassing the Type-C altogether, and go direct from the good ol’ 5.5x2.1 to the digione sig clean input. I also plan on adding a CLC filter between the connector and PCB.

This obviously voids warranty, but IMO a small price to pay for a good (potential) SQ increase.

I hate what Allo have been doing with connectors, USB C to barrel adapters and captive cables! Why didn't they stick to 5.5x2.1mm connectors from the very beginning and avoid all this mess?

1 hour ago, nbpf said:

I hate what Allo have been doing with connectors, USB C to barrel adapters and captive cables! Why didn't they stick to 5.5x2.1mm connectors from the very beginning and avoid all this mess?

I actually appreciate Allo for doing their best to make the USBridge Sig backward compatible. 

Like you, I’m also puzzled as to why they picked Type-C for power in the first place. 

5 hours ago, antonellocaroli said:

ok, I have solved and it works perfectly....

modinfo ax88179_178a | grep version
version:        v0.1.4
srcversion:     0DA7C4E6A1D359AEEF7588C
vermagic:       4.19.80-Gentooplayer-standard+ SMP preempt mod_unload modversions aarch64

Good job and good news, antonellocaroli.

1 hour ago, suzywong said:

In fact I pulled my SD card (MoOde Audio) out of the DigiOneSig-RPi3B, and plugged it straight into the DigiOneSig-USBridgeSig and simply rebooted. All good :)

That's good to know, thanks!

The bugger is that I would not be able to switch off the USB bus and the Ethernet interface on the USBridge Sig (as I do on my RPi to reduce the energy consumption down to about 200 mA) because the USBridge Sig does not have any onboard wireless!

Too bad, I really would have liked to try the USBridge Sig!

19 minutes ago, nbpf said:

That's good to know, thanks!

The bugger is that I would not be able to switch off the USB bus and the Ethernet interface on the USBridge Sig (as I do on my RPi to reduce the energy consumption down to about 200 mA) because the USBridge Sig does not have any onboard wireless!

Too bad, I really would have liked to try the USBridge Sig!

Allo are listing a dual-band dongle for around 20 quid. I think the idea it that it goes into one of the USB ports on the front panel on the aluminium case

5 minutes ago, suzywong said:

Allo are listing a dual-band dongle for around 20 quid. I think the idea it that it goes into one of the USB ports on the front panel on the aluminium case

Sure but that would force me to turn on the USB (and Ethernet) bus of the USBridge Sig and thus more than double its energy consumption. This is not a very good idea as more energy potentially means more noise.

Perhaps it would be worth trying it but I do not want to be left with another small SBC laying around and no return option. Thus, given things as they are, I'll stick to the RPi and wait for Allo to come up with something that better fits my needs.  

On 10/26/2019 at 11:41 PM, nbpf said:

It will not be possible due to tech constraints .

On 10/26/2019 at 6:52 AM, matthias said:

This DAC is after Shanti and the UBS the third new product from Allo. 

Not yet launched but upcoming this year it is an USB DAC which can be powered from the second output of Shanti.

For info search on diyaudio for "revolution" and user "cdsgames".

Matt

We are still working on Revolution , not ready yet.

On 10/26/2019 at 1:33 AM, blueninjasix said:

Any news on this issue? I use a Chord Qutest and moOde 6.3 software and generally love the sound. I've had one big dropout but lots of little annoying clicks when streaming from the SSD in my fanless pc.

Today/Tommorow we will release Moode 5 with 4.14 kernel on our website