IGNORED

ALLO USBridge Signature

1 minute ago, nbpf said:

This is a bit disappointing if you consider that a RPi3 + DigiOne Signature combination can be setup to consume less than 0.3A when streaming over the wireless! Why does the USBridge Sig not have wireless onboard? This would make the USBridge Sig much more usable and a serious alternative to devices like the Sonore and SOtM streamers and the new Primare NP5 network player.   

Man, we get it, you wish it had WiFi built-in. 

2 minutes ago, nbpf said:

Sure I do. With WiFi on board and good software support, the USBridge Sig could become a true alternative to microRendu, UltraRendu, etc. Without, it will be another niche product. Good for tinkerers but finally of limited popularity like its predecessor, I am afraid. 

My point being, you don't have to parrot the same thing over and over.  

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, blighter said:

Hi Everybody,

I have been following this thread for a while but can't quite find a definitive answer to the question regarding SQ of USBridge Sig player vs DigiOne Signature player.

Which of the two players has better SQ (both with Shanti PS)?

I guess SQ might be related to the DAC inputs implementaiton but let's assume it would be going into Chord Qutest DAC or into Denafrips Pontus.

I have also read that there is a problem with using USBridge Sig with Chord Qutest due to Qutest not supporting native DSD on Linux and the problem causes some popping sounds even when not playing any DSD files?

IME coax/SPDIF from the DigiOne Sig + USBridge Sig beats out USB. Not to say USB isn't good, I just find coax cleaner, darker, and more enjoyable. 

I'll only move to USB if I get tired of the 192/24 limitation, which I don't see happening anytime soon. 

2 hours ago, Mycenius said:

FWIW I found USB gives a much more liberating and complete sound with better detail than S/PDIF and haven’t used a non-USB DAC since about 2013... I found (a bit like valves) S/PDIF colours the sound and/or loses some detail (so agree with @dontfeedphils about it being ‘darker’) - if you like the colour that’s great but if, like me, you like to hear it as it was recorded and with all the original detail then USB is definitely the way to go, IMO. Which is why I am very excited about getting my USBridge Signature in the next couple of weeks or so... 😊

YMMV of course...

I have to disagree with this a bit, as SPDIF (IMO) sounds "darker" because USB, to a certain degree, seems to always carry RFI/EMI/etc into the analog section of the DAC. Leading to a brighter signature and the illusion of increased detail and clarity. 

Every DAC I've ever tested has sounded brighter using USB. 

• 3 weeks later...
1 minute ago, blighter said:

I would like to get Digione Signature Player (+Shanti), but I have no clue which Pi verision to get: 3B+ or 4B? Could more knowlegable members advise please? Is there any reason to go with 4B? I have read that 4B might be affecting SQ negatively? Is this true with Digione Signature?

I'm not sure also which system to go with. My primary goal is Tidal integration so I guess Volumio is the best choice? SQ abviously also a huge priority.

thanks.

Volumio is alright, but I ran into enough issues with it's Tidal integration that I just bit the bullet and invested in Roon, a decision I'm very happy with.  (Running Ropiee with Roon)

7 minutes ago, blighter said:

Did you go from 3B+ with Digione Signature hat or just RPI? I'm still debating USB vs SPDIF (Digione Signature Player vs USBridge Sig) as well but leaning towards Digione Signature Player.

I went from a DigiOne Sig hosted on a 3B+ to a DigOne Sig hosted on a USBridge Sig and the upgrade was noticeable.  Not to the same degree that switching power supplies influenced my setup, but noticeable nonetheless.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
3 minutes ago, John Eaton said:

I ordered my Allo USBridge Sig on 1/30/20.  I wasn’t paying attention when I ordered so I’m receiving the default Moode OS instead of Diet Pi + Allo GUI.

When I realized my mistake the next day, it was already too late as Allo said my unit had shipped one day after I ordered.  Curious their website says: "Due to high demand orders will ship in 3 to 5 days."  Not in my case.

Nonetheless, nearly two weeks after order placement, my USBridge is now negotiating US Customs.  I didn’t realize the item shipped from India, not that it matters, but the only two shipment options are expensive and more expensive, and slow.

My plan is to load RoPieee as the OS.  I’m using RoPieee on two Raspberry Pi’s with great results.  My intent for the Allo USBridge is to be used as a Roon endpoint only, so hopefully my install will come off without issue. 

My assumption is the process for adding the Allo USBridge to my Roon network will be exactly the same as adding a (RoPieee OS) Raspberry Pi.  Am I missing anything? 

Anxiously waiting…

Yep, it comes from India and it's a bit slow, but that's just the reality of the situation.

Flash Ropieee to your card, boot it up, set it up, and listen.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
6 hours ago, steves999uk said:

Just canvassing opinions here....  I'm currently running RPi3 / DigiOne (ifi PSU) > Qutest (ifi PSU) and ordered USBridge Sig + DigiOneSig + Shanti

Wondering where the Shanti will be best used - obviously the clean side of the DigiOneSig for the 1A output, but USBSig or Qutest for the 3A is my question?  

I'll be doing my own tests once it's all arrived, but interested to hear thoughts from the hive mind!

I'm running almost the same setup, but with a Hugo 2 rather than a Qutest, and I've found the Shanti to make the biggest difference when powering both inputs for the USBridge/DigiOne combo.  I tired it powering just the clean side and the Hugo 2, but didn't notice much of an improvement and found powering both inputs of the Allo setup to sound better.

Hugo 2's batteries may play a roll in that though.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
On 12/10/2020 at 3:17 PM, Mark Dirac said:

You guys are puzzling me with this talk of eMMC. I tried to find out if my USBridge Sig has a CM with or without eMMC, but the website does not say. Does it, please?

And, I am starting to wonder if the USBridge is supplied with OSs on the eMMC?  I just assumed the OS was on the SD card that I added to my order (Moode)? Why would naum want to change the OS on his eMMC?  Is the idea that the OS on the SD card gets copied to the eMMC? Because it's faster and more reliable? Isn't OS-on-a-SD card good enough?

Please would someone clarify the situation with eMMC on USBridge Sig. Thx.

You use either an eMMC card attached to a SD card adapter or a SD card.  One or the other.