IGNORED

ALLO USBridge Signature

22 hours ago, matthias said:

IIRC, cdsgames on diyaudio mentioned the improvement with the new USBridge Sig will be very small in this case.

Matt

I believe cdsgames stated that improvements in measurement is marginal, but he did not comment on subjective SQ.

This is obviously just a personal guess, but the Audiophile Pi will likely be a bigger deal for Digione Sig users than Allo lets on. 

The Digione Sig does a great job of isolation, but like many of us have experienced, upgrading power delivery on the “dirty side” has lead to easily noticeable improvements. 

Speaking from experience, upgrading the regulators directly powering the critical components is more impactful compared to the “pre-regulator” powering them. It would be sensible then, to assume that replacing all DC converters with LDOs, as Allo has done, would be as beneficial - if not more so - compared to giving the dirty side quality power.

19 hours ago, matthias said:

How will that translate in sound quality ? 
By connecting your Digione/Digione Sig to USBridge Sig , I would say that you will get a marginal improvement . (based on test data available to me)

I had the Impression that because the question was about SQ the answer of cdsgames was referring to SQ as well.

Matt

I made the same interpretation from that reply. Though later posts from cdsgames seem to indicate that his position is to not comment on subjective sonic improvements, and just measurements.

How will USbridgeSig sound with Digione. Sorry I am unable to answer from my test data, I will not give my personal opinion .

1 hour ago, nbpf said:

Interesting but according to Allo the USBridge Sig is designed to be an extensible platform:

Thus, I would expect the case to support such extensions and thus be a base rather than a case.

Anyway, I think that the approach of building dedicated audio boards based on RPi compute modules is the right way to go. What I would like to see in the end is a dedicated base board that can be extended with high quality USB, S/PDIF, Ethernet, etc. outputs depending on one's needs. The USBridge Sig. is perhaps not already there but it is a first step in the right direction.

They will have a case for USBridge + Digione Sig.

21 hours ago, dkskl said:

It certainly can't hurt 🙂

Sniffed around Soundcheck's blog. Interesting stuff… My preferred Rasp OS is actually PiCorePlayer w/ LMS.

It isn't clear to me if your suggestion is to use an extra mini computer / RPI as server and let the USBridge handle the PCP OS or if you will only use the USBridge as an isolator and let the extra computer do all the hard work..?

I'm currently using an extra low power computer as server, and Digione Sig/RPi as the "endpoint". I'll probably stick to this configuration except swapping RPi for the Audiophile Pi/USBridge Sig.

2 hours ago, dkskl said:

Thanks. Could just be the way to go.

My Pi/Digione Sig is a damn good player though...

I hear ya. My Pi/Digione Sig is damn good too, esp with the Shanti. 

If you hear a noticeable difference between the stock adapter and a high quality PS powering the dirty side, then the Audiophile Pi should be a worthwhile upgrade. I can't verify that (yet) since I'm in Paris and my "Pi Sig" just arrived in Taiwan, but speaking from experience*, the massive overhaul to power delivery and robust ethernet implementation is bound to bring about significant improvements.

*SoTM audophile switches and Pi without DC converters sound better than their mundane counterparts. Maybe I'm crazy ;)

14 minutes ago, nbpf said:

But if you connect a USB stick or a SSD to the USBridge Sig you might still have a DC converter, I'm afraid. Generally speaking, I very much like the Allo approach. But I do not understand why they have decided not have WiFi on board in the USBridge Sig. This is, in my view, completely nonsense and the main reason why I am not going to order a unit. I also do not like the fact that in the case for the USBridge Sig + DigiOne Signature they have yet another kind of connector with yet another cable connecting this connector to the USB-C connector of the clean side. This is lack of modularity and rather poor engineering, in my view. Just my two cents, of course. 

The Audiophile Pi is perfect for my setup (ethernet, streaming from server), but I can see why it doesn't work out for you. Allo mentioned a WiFi dongle that would be available separately somewhere down the line. 

I dislike excess connectors myself, especially USB types for power. I plan on bypassing the Type-C connector on the clean side and go straight from the 5.5x2.1mm connector to PCB.

Still, while the USBridge+Dig Sig case is not as elegant as I hoped, I don't really fault Allo as the Digione Sig was released more than a year ago. 

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, allo.com said:

I would say maximum SQ a good USB stick = equal to wired Ethernet

I am very proud on how I designed the ethernet , not only we have the (normal) isolation transformer but we also use common mode chokes (qualified/designed for noisy automobiles environments) that became available in 2019 (Gb speeds) from Japan (murata brand)

Sorry for sidetracking the discussion, but since you mentioned cmc, is there a part no. that you'd recommend for a CLC filter application? Plan on using one at the input of the Digione clean side.

5 hours ago, Aprobin said:

Here’s a suggestion,

With the rear end plate removed from the case, file a notch in the top edge with a round file, with the end plate fitted, plug your existing USB-C terminated clean supply cable directly into the Digione signature and dress the cable through the notch, then fit the lid.

Maybe not the prettiest solution but it’s the rear panel so you’re unlikely to be looking at it much. If you ever need to transport the power supply and USBridge it’s easy enough to remove the lid and unplug the cable.

I’ll probably terminate the clean supply cable with a USB-C connector and do something like that myself when I get a bit of time.

I plan on bypassing the Type-C altogether, and go direct from the good ol’ 5.5x2.1 to the digione sig clean input. I also plan on adding a CLC filter between the connector and PCB.

This obviously voids warranty, but IMO a small price to pay for a good (potential) SQ increase.

1 hour ago, nbpf said:

I hate what Allo have been doing with connectors, USB C to barrel adapters and captive cables! Why didn't they stick to 5.5x2.1mm connectors from the very beginning and avoid all this mess?

I actually appreciate Allo for doing their best to make the USBridge Sig backward compatible. 

Like you, I’m also puzzled as to why they picked Type-C for power in the first place. 

• 1 month later...
On 12/17/2019 at 10:06 PM, blighter said:

I would like to get Digione Signature Player (+Shanti), but I have no clue which Pi verision to get: 3B+ or 4B? Could more knowlegable members advise please? Is there any reason to go with 4B? I have read that 4B might be affecting SQ negatively? Is this true with Digione Signature?

I'm not sure also which system to go with. My primary goal is Tidal integration so I guess Volumio is the best choice? SQ abviously also a huge priority.

thanks.

I went from a 3B+ to the USBridge Sig, and the SQ improvement is well worth it.

On 12/21/2019 at 3:16 AM, blighter said:

Did you go from 3B+ with Digione Signature hat or just RPI? I'm still debating USB vs SPDIF (Digione Signature Player vs USBridge Sig) as well but leaning towards Digione Signature Player.

Digione Sig is the HAT of choice in both instances. Switching to USBridge removes all the switching elements from the streamer!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
11 hours ago, pl_svn said:

not the way to ground neither Shanti or the USBridge

if you really need to do it connection must be from a grounding terminal to the ground pin of a spare (wall) socket ;)

suzywong's method is exactly what cdsgames from Allo recommended.

However, I personally much prefer connecting each ground terminal to its own battery ground tweak. No idea why it works, but the tweak is cheap and the results are very obvious.

• 4 weeks later...
20 hours ago, zacho said:

Has anyone compared the USBridge Sig + Digione Sig stack to other products like a Metrum Ambre? 

A good friend and dealer was kind enough to offer me a home audition of the dCS network bridge. I think it's an excellent device, but the money would be better spent elsewhere for upgrades. 

Just one man's opinion, but that's how incredible I think my slightly modified stack+Shanti sounds in my system.

2 hours ago, nbpf said:

Could you elaborate a bit on the comparison between dCS Network Bridge and USBridge Signature + DigiOne Signature? I am very interested in the dCS Network Bridge but it is not easy to demo a device in Germany. Thanks, nbpf

Sure.

To be fair, I’m not saying the Allo transport is the dCS’s equal. The dCS is clearly hi-end through and through, and the performance is excellent. No questions there.

Though in *my system*, Allo does one thing right, and that one thing matters a lot to me. When paired with my Sparkler S512, everything sounds tonally correct, even toe-tap inducing to my ears.

Perhaps someone with a modern DAC with high sampling rate and/or DSD will be able to truly realize the network bridge’s full capabilities.

As of now, I’m perfectly happy with my old school 16/44.1 listening ☺️

13 hours ago, nbpf said:

Thanks for the feedback! Is it possible to control the dCS Network Bridge with a control point like the BubbleUPnP Android app or with the Linn Kazoo app? One of the reasons I prefer the Allo approach to the dCS one is that, on a RPi (or, on a RPi compute module), I can run the OS and the applications that I most trust. On the other hand, my wife would not be able to manage the current system alone and I would like to have a more straightforward backup solution. The dCS Network Bridge is expensive but seems a very solid device. How would you describe the differences between the dCS NB and the DigiOne Signature, assuming that you have listened to the two devices connected to the same DAC via SPDIF?     

Sure, glad to share. 

The dCS native app Mosaic is quite easy to use. It's no Roon, but good enough. My Allo stack runs picoreplayer 6.0 beta endpoint, and separate hardware configured with LMS. I used Tidal on both for the purpose of comparison. I had to use an adapter on the dCS, as my DAC only accepts BNC SPDIF. 

I'd say the dCS is an excellent all-rounder. The unit never fails to impress regardless of music type. While my Allo stack is no slouch, it doesn't match the network bridge in terms of sense of scale and incredible detail when playing orchestral music. Luckily, the Allo stack performs as well (sometimes even more involving) when it comes to genres I enjoy the most.

As for your lady, the easiest solution would be adding Shairport or Spotify Connect to whatever Pi OS you're running. My wife uses Airplay on my main rig with 0 issues whatsoever 😃

• 6 months later...
1 hour ago, purehifi192 said:

👋 Allo, I'm a bit confused and hoping you can help me out... what's the benefit of adding DigiOne Sig on top of USBridge Sig?

And would those benefits only be outputted through DOS Sig coax/bnc, through the USB on, or through all sets of outputs?

Thank you,

Not Allo, but I'm a happy user of USBridge Sig + Digione Sig.

If you prefer SPDIF like I do (the BNC input of my DAC is great), then the stack makes perfect sense. I simply use USBridge as an audiophile version of the Raspberry Pi for my Digione HAT. I feel that the improvement is more than significant in my system to justify the expense.

If you only use the USB out, then there's no reason to buy the Digione Sig.

1 hour ago, purehifi192 said:

Appreciate the response. As I understand the specs, the USBridge can go up to DSD 512 whereas DOS "only" goes up to 24/192. As I'm more interested in 16bit CD quality, that difference doesn't mean much to me. What I want to know is if the audio signal path goes through the DOS at all if I output through USB... does it take advantage of any DOS magic or is there no point in that?

In going back and reviewing this thread, including my questions early on, I see similar questions asked, but nothing firm on the answer.

And I assume the output is set by the HAT selected in the OS? I'm using Ropieee which shows DOS only so is the signal being outputted to all 3 outputs simultaneously or would I set the HAT to DOS or "No HAT configured"?

Thank you,

No, you wouldn’t benefit from DOS while using the USB output. The DOS basically takes the i2s from RPi, reclocks it, and converts the signal to SPDIF.

Wish I could help, but I use pcp and have no experience with Roipeee.