IGNORED

ALLO USBridge Signature

• 3 weeks later...

Dear all,

i currently use USBridge with Sparky.

I'm thinking about to change to USBridge Signature for two reasons:

1. Get rid of the old tainted kernel from allo an be able to use the standard kernel

2. increase sound quality.

Is anybody here who knows both USBridges and is able to answer question 2?

thanks in advance.

Regarding the critics of the Allo USBridge......

What i wonder is why allo use an ethernet-over-usb solution for the ethernet port. I moved from rpi to allo because allo sparky had ( as far as i know) an ethernet port connected (via PCI?) directly without using the USB bus - in opposite to raspberryPi.

The fact that allo has to patch the drivers for the ethernet over usb chipset make me feel they face exactly the same problems which RPI's had in past: performance problems and dropouts at playing highres files, which have to be read in and send out (PCM) over the same usb bus. This was obvious especially with real time kernels.

Has anybody experiences playing highres files with standard kernel?

Has anybody experiences playing highres files with real time kernel?

• 3 weeks later...

@allo.com Dear allo,

i decided to wait with bying the new USBridge Signatute until your kernel patch for you network chip is included into rasberry kernel.

Because there is no activity at the kernel development i asked if and when they would include your patch to the main rasberrypi kernel. The answer is very clear.

i asked in raspberry forum at github at  your issue #2942:

Dear all,

sorry for my question. Some people i know want to buy the new allo USBSig. But because we don't want to buy hardware without any proper software support, we want to know if there is a chance for that pull request to be merged into kernel soon. Is it?

Thanks for your answer

the answer was:

pelwell commented 11 hours ago

Until Allo or Asix come up with a patch that has a chance of being accepted upstream, the answer no.

Does that mean neither allo nor asix cares about a patch that could be accepted by the developers of raspberry pi kernel?

This mean for me, the biggest advantage of using PI3+, the usage of standard kernel instead of an outdated kernel for sparky, doesn't work.

That's bad news for all customers here. How do you deal with that?

On 10/30/2019 at 10:23 AM, allo.com said:

Senior God

we are talking about 2 things .

First , we have a driver for Asix ethernet IC that we submitted (above link) to Rasbian . Unfortunately , Rasbian says that we have to submit upstream. Problem is that Asix behaves somehow diffrently with Linux x86 then it does with Linux ARM. So Asix company did make a new driver but they are not ready to submit upstream .

So we did the next best thing. We spoke to all players (Moode, Ropiee , DietPi , Max2play , PCP etc) and simply they updated the Axis driver direct in the players .

It has NOTHING to do with kernel..

We will discuss with Asix and hopefully they will submit the updated driver upstream (but it depends on them)

The second issue , is that kernel 4.19 has an issue with DACs (rpi3) that have Linux non native DSD. Rasbian is working on that and it will be fixed , rather soon . So on next kernel release , it should be fixed.

Like I said , 2 issues . One is the driver that Axis and Rasbian seem to throw the ball to each other (and we try to mediate) , and Kernel thats purely an issue with Rasbian (and we are waiting for the fix)

Please feel free to comment on the thread https://github.com/raspberrypi/linux/issues/3204

So USBridge Sig will give you the latest kernels (unlike Sparky)

Thank you for clarification.

What is importent to me is simple:

Can i use USBBridge signature with RPI standard kernel whitout "your patch", without having any problems? It means no dropout, no issues with disturbed sound or not?  Is that possible or do i depend on the patch you send to raspberry?

Please hold in mind: I will not blame anybody, i will be sure what i buy, because i want to buy.... 🙂

best regards

• 3 weeks later...