IGNORED

ALLO USBridge Signature

Am I reading the website correctly, the usbridge signature player with aluminium case is only $10 more than the usbridge signature without case ($249 vs $239)?

I was an early adopter and received my Usbridge signature + Shanti earlier this week, and it’s working fine and performing brilliantly but I’m wondering how much I’m going to have to pay for a case now they are available. Hope I’m not going to be too financially disadvantaged for the sake of waiting a week.

Hi @allo.com how about as a gesture of goodwill you allow early adopters, like myself, who ordered a usbridge signature before a case was available, the opportunity to order a case for the difference in cost between a usbridge signature and a usbridge signature player (I.e. $10 plus shipping or whatever the equivalent happens to be in euroland)?

• 2 weeks later...

I was sufficiently pleased with my USBridge Signature that I ordered a 2nd to use with a Digione Signature in another system. My 2nd USBridge Sig has arrived, I’ve attached the Digione Sig to it and powered it up using a Shanti power supply.

I initially connected the Shanti 3A output to the USB-C on the USBridge and the the other output from the Shanti to the clean 5v connector on the Digione Sig. When powered up, the green LED on the Digione Sig board didn’t light and I couldn’t find the device in Roon (I’m using Ropieee on the USBridge) despite a couple of reboots of the USBridge and a reboot of Roon Core.

So, I unplugged the 5v supply to the USBridge and plugged it into the 5v dirty supply connection on the Digione Sig board. Now the Digione LED comes on, everything boots up ok, the device shows up in Roon and all is working fine. However, when I come to put the assembly into the case for the USBridge, how is the power arrangement going to work when I’ll need to power the USBridge itself from the USBridge’s own 5v connector, through the hole in the end panel of the case, instead of powering it via the Digione Signature?

1 minute ago, allo.com said:

Hi

when did you buy the Digione Sig ? A while back we used a second diode , I can send you some pics , you need to bypass it

Hi, it was quite a while ago, probably more than 12 months. Let me PM you my e-mail address and I’ll take a look and see what’s involved

On 10/23/2019 at 3:46 PM, allo.com said:

Yeap at that time we had a second diode on the Digione. We removed after since it served no real purpose .

If you wire the input to output (short) you can power from both RPI or "Dirty Side"

I've shorted across the diode on the Digione Signature middle board and everything is working fine now with the USBridge powered directly via it’s USB-C connector. Thank you.

@Tintinabulum I’m using Ropieee here. For the USBridge with the Digione Sig installed, USB is disabled in the general configurations page and Allo Digione selected as the HAT.

If you are not using the Allo case, you can plug in both power supplies into the Digione Signature as before, or plug the dirty supply into the USB-C connector of the USBridge Signature if that’s easier. If you read back through the thread you’ll see that a couple of us have older Digione Signature boards that won’t work when powered from the USBridge, in which case there is a simple mod needed to the middle board 

20 minutes ago, matthias said:

Interesting,

so Unison does not seem to be the last word for USB or the output of the DS is superior to the output of the UBS?

For me, SPDIF still has the edge, but as I say, it’s close. It just ticks my boxes, somebody else might tip the other way in this comparison. I think Unison USB is a big step forward and for most users it will be better than typical SPDIF sources. I think this is a bit trickier to call, extraordinarily good USB vs extraordinarily good SPDIF.

49 minutes ago, matthias said:

so Unison does not seem to be the last word for USB or the output of the DS is superior to the output of the UBS?

some further thoughts about this ... Unison USB in it’s current form for sure won’t be Schiit’s last word for USB, hence the decision to make the Bifrost 2’s USB input module modular and upgradeable. And will we see a clean-powered USB HAT for the USBridgeSig from Allo in the future? I don’t think the USBridgeSig is the last word either. Always room for improvement. I think SPDIF and USB will continue to play cat and mouse for some time to come

52 minutes ago, zacho said:

what case options does one have if not for the allo aluminium case. the extra umbilical cord connecting the ubs to the digisig irks me after making the effort of getting USB C connectors to terminate diy DC cables. 

Here’s a suggestion,

With the rear end plate removed from the case, file a notch in the top edge with a round file, with the end plate fitted, plug your existing USB-C terminated clean supply cable directly into the Digione signature and dress the cable through the notch, then fit the lid.

Maybe not the prettiest solution but it’s the rear panel so you’re unlikely to be looking at it much. If you ever need to transport the power supply and USBridge it’s easy enough to remove the lid and unplug the cable.

I’ll probably terminate the clean supply cable with a USB-C connector and do something like that myself when I get a bit of time.