IGNORED

ALLO USBridge Signature

Just received the new Allo USBridge Signature today. I tried to get it to work, unfortunately in vain. I flashed the latest Ropieee XL (that seems to support USBridge Signature) onto a micro SD card, but after starting up the USBridge Signature, it does not appear in my network, and hence, Audirvana will not see the device.

When I use the SD card supplied with the USBridge that runs DietPi, the USBridge is visible in my network, but when connected via USB to my Devialet, I hear no sound from my speakers. Needless to say that the Raspi 4 works flawlessly with Audirvana having the latest Ropieee XL version installed.

Bit of a shambles!

Any input is appreciated! Thanks!

5 hours ago, matthias said:

Thanks for sharing your listening impressions.

Interesting that with the USBridge Sig you prefer Roon over Audirvana.

Do you think that Ropieee is a better match for Roon and maybe another OS like Moode a better match for Audirvana?

I am just curious.

Matt

The difference between Audirvana and Roon isn‘t large. I perceived Roon to be a tad more pleasant. If Audirvana had a tiny bit of edginess, Roon lacked it entirely. As in both sessions, Ropieee XL was used, the, admittedly small, difference I heard must reside in the different algorithms. Roon uses RAAT as the streaming protocol, while Audirvana uses a different one. 

I‘m almost convinced that a different OS like Moode, etc. will produce a slightly different SQ. I‘ll try this suggestion out in the next weeks and report back.

2 hours ago, matthias said:

Yes, I am sure the differences are small, so it is a matter of fine-tuning or matching.

Audirvana uses UPnP. Searching different forums I found Audirvana and Moode to be a good match.

Thank you for trying it and sharing your impressions.

Matt

Yes, you are right, of course. The differences could be due to different transport protocols (UPnP vs RAAT).

I'll try Moode and see how it goes with Audirvana. Thanks for the tip!

However, based on Roon's vastly better GUI, I might be sticking to Roon for the time being. But  it's always fun to optimise things. While I'm typing, I am downloading Moode.

Till soon and thanks!

2 hours ago, clipper said:

I could never give up Roon (because of the interface), but I prefer the way it sounds when outputting to Squeezelite.  

To enable this, go to Roon Settings, Setup, Enable Squeezebox Support = Yes.  In Device Setup (under Advanced), I also set Use Flac Compression to No.

Many of the audio OSs have Squeezelite built in.

If I understand correctly, setting 'Enable Squeezebox' in Roon requires a Squeezebox music player, correct? I don't have one, so I can't try.

25 minutes ago, matthias said:

Squeezelite renderer is integrated in Moode, so you can use Moode for Roon via Squeezelite and for Audirvana via UPnP.

Matt

Tried moOde, flashed it onto an SSD, inserted it into the USBridge Sig, but couldn't get it to work at all. Is there some walk-through how to do it?

Thanks

Thanks to the moode community, I got the right hint for getting the USBridge Sig to work with moOde: apparently the USBridge has two USB ports that can be either used for connecting a USB SSD. I wrongly thought those two would only be for WiFi dongles. Once the SSD was connected, setup of the USBridge was easy (I learnt a lot yesterday).

Now this is where listening impressions become interesting. Last night, I listened to moOde via my Raspi 4. I very much liked the sound of moOde: smooth, natural, pleasant, and a bit meatier than I was used to Roon via USBridge Sig running Ropieee. 

So after getting the right hint from the moOde community, I eagerly set it up, imported my library, and once finished, I started to listen. Immediately, I noticed a difference: the USBridge Sig sounded too lean, a bit aggressive, and too bright. Gone was the natural, pleasant and well rounded sound of last night’s session with the Raspi 4. 

Of course, I immediately switched the system back to the Raspi 4, and there it was again, this smooth natural sound I so much liked.

Now I have to do a bit more listening to decide what I like better: moOde via Raspi 4 or Roon via the USBridge Sig that sounded great in my previous sessions.

1 hour ago, matthias said:

Can you try to connect the USB SSD to your Mac?

I do not think that you get maximum SQ with connection to RPi4 or USBridge Sig.

Use Roon or Audirvana for management of your library and Moode as UPnP renderer only.

Matt

I am working on it. Need to get more infos from the Moode community. But I'll get there!

43 minutes ago, allo.com said:

Yeap from a technical point of view . your SSD has DC/DC convertors (3.3V to 1.8 digital logic). Our USBridge has NO switching elements . Zero.

We did filter the USB (wifi/BT) ..but once you have noise you can only mitigate..not cure.

Clear ?

Sort of clear 😊

3 hours ago, matthias said:

Nice,

I am curious about your impressions:

Roon vs. Audirvana both with moOde and UBS.

Matt

Got the problem with Audirvana solved: somehow my remote app was corrupted. I re-installed and it works fine.

Just one first short impression combining Roon with moOde: through Squuezelite UPnP one loses a lot of detail! Maybe not the way to go, but I‘ll listen more tomorrow.

I am also curious to see how Audirvana pairs with moOde, setting up UPnP with Audirvana is a piece of cake!

More to come tomorrow.

Tried To get Audirvana to UPnP to moOde. Even thhough Audirvana recognizes moOde‘s UPnP, it wouldn‘t start playing tracks! I have to get advice from the moOde community.

As pointed out yesterday, Roon via Squeezelite zone is no good. Whatever you gain with the USBridge Sig is lost and the sound becomes less detailed.

For the moment, the simplest solution is Ropieee XL on the USBridge Sig. This allows to use either Roon or Audirvana. From the two, I prefer Audirvana. Although the difference between Roon and Audirvana is slight, I find Audirvana to be a tad quieter and a bit better in bass. Also, Audirvana‘s new remote app is more reliable than Roon‘s, at least on my iPad Mini.

• 2 weeks later...