IGNORED

ALLO USBridge Signature

• 1 month later...
5 hours ago, allo.com said:

Hi Matthias

with over 550 Usbridges Sig on the market , we have one report from Tintibalum that it does not work with Cisco 28960 . No other reports of any issue with any SW

While not tested (but I will have a report very soon) I am sure it wont have an issue with EtherRegen .

I am running a USBBridge Signature quite nicely with an EtherRegen since Tuesday. 

Greg in Mississippi

Everything Matters!

2 systems... Well-Tempered Refs->ET-2.5->DIY or Lounge LCR MkII phono stages

Standalone digital Sony HAP Z1-ES or SDTrans384/Soekris DAM DAC

Networked digital Zotac PI320-W2 LMS Server -> EtherRegen -> USBBridge Sig -> Katana / Ian GB / Soerkis / Buffalo-IIIPro DACs

Passive S&B TX102 TVC or ladder attenuators -> BHK-250 -> Eminent Tech LFT-VIII / IV / VI

ALL gear modified / DIY'd; cables MIT;  all supplies DIY’d or LPS-1.2s w/HUGE Ultracaps; Audio gear on DIY AC filters + PS Aud P15s; misc gear on separate AC w/filters

• 3 weeks later...

@matthias,

Actually I already have. I have used the ER in 2 setups, both using a USBBridge Sig as the player endpoint. One has a somewhat modified Katana stack, the other a somewhat modified Ian GB FiFoPi/Dual-Mono ES90338Q2M/IVStd stack. Both benefited greatly from the ER. I strongly suspect the USBBridge Sig works synergistically with the ER.

If you look at my last 12 or so posts on this board, almost all are raves about the ER in these setups.

AND my emails to Ioan at Allo about this have been even more enthusiastic!

Interestingly, I felt the Katana setup benefited more from the addition of the ER. Before the ER, I would have put my Ian GB setup a little ahead of the Katana. Now I'd say the tables have reversed. Though I'm listening to a different discrete opamp in Ian's IVStd tonight as I type and the tables may have turned again... will see after I get some hours on them.

Greg in Mississippi

Everything Matters!

Networked digital Zotac PI320-W2 LMS Server -> EtherRegen -> USBBridge Sig -> Katana / Ian GB / Soerkis / Buffalo-IIIPro DACs

Passive S&B TX102 TVC or ladder attenuators -> BHK-250 -> Eminent Tech LFT-VIII / IV / VI

ALL gear modified / DIY'd; cables MIT;  all supplies DIY’d or LPS-1.2s w/HUGE Ultracaps; Audio gear on DIY AC filters + PS Aud P15s; misc gear on separate AC w/filters

• 1 month later...

Allo has very good regulators on their USBBridge Signature, but some are LDO's with <6V maximums.

Feel free to try it with a 6V battery. You may get lucky. 

More likely you'll have to buy another.

Greg in Mississippi 

Everything Matters!

• 1 month later...

@Tapatrick,

I have not and am sorry to sad I do not expect to do so soon.

3 reasons... first is that I'm REALLY happy with the sonics I'm getting in my 2 setups now. Since I wrote that comment in December 2019, I've:

- Tried some alternate Ethernet cables after the EtherRegen and settled on what I liked at first... the lowly Cat6 cable that came with my Baaske isolators (which came with a ferrite core around the cable near one end), a single Baaske isolator (pre-ER I had 2), and a 6" flat Cat6 from Amazon into my USBBridge Sigs. I did try all of the low-cost favs and none bettered this combo either separately or in conjunction with the Baaske isolator in my setups and to my ears. This setup just sounds more like music to me.

- Moved to newer model lower-ESR 325F UC pairs on the power feeds to the DACs and associated boards (Katana microprocessor board, Ian Canada FiFoPi) along with using LDOVR.com LT3045 regulator boards as the float-charging regulators when in-use. I still use Ian Canada's LT3042 reg boards pre-use for charge-up as I know they work safely at their native 250mA-300mA native current limit without additional heatsinking... just lazy here!

- Moved to 3000F(!) UC pairs on the power feed to the USBBridge Sigs. These of course take a hours to pre-charge at 300mA - 900mA, so when when I power-down the setups for an extended absence or predicted thunderstorm activity, I keep these charged up with a couple of 5V wall warts so I can get the systems back up pretty quickly.

- Because I have been so happy with the setups that I was more interested in listening than fooling with them, I moved to Lexar 1Tb SD cards in my Zotac PI320 micro computers configured as LMS servers. In addition to now holding almost 80% of my music files and increasing my music selections, they also brought a small but noticeable improvement over the 512Gb PNY cards there previously. Scratching my head on this one, but happy for the bumps up!

As I said above, of this has had me MUCH more interested in listening that building / tweaking / comparing.

Second, the 2 setups I planned to use to compare USBBridge Sig to SDTrans384 were my Soekris DAM DAC setups, one of which is tethered to the SDTrans384 and the other is configured for an I2S feed from an RPi-type header (enter USBBridge Sig here). While both are highly modified, neither has been optimized for use with the UC pair power rail final buffers I universally moved to middle 2019 and would need likely a couple weeks of delicate rework to get there. Both of these setups with the power supplies last used are now sonically FAR behind my current setups in most if not all parameters, so I know I need to bring them up to use my lastest power supply scheme if just to have a comparison that I'd want to listen to for the several weeks needed to get a fair listen (and have the Black Gate caps on each board run-in again as they need to do after an extended down time).

Third, I've just had less audio workbench time available because I'm shifting my focus over to my model aircraft hobbies. AND it is getting close to flying weather!

So likely no comparison until next winter at the earliest. SORRY! Based on what I heard when I switched over to the current setups in early 2019 AND what I heard as I incrementally upgraded them (MANY TIMES!), I suspect that the SDTrans384/Soekris setup will not be far ahead of the USBBridge/FiFoPi/Soekris setup IF AT ALL. A TirNaHiFi-style synchronous I2S reclocker (Acko's old S03 would also work here) after the SDTrans384 might help it pull ahead.

BUT likely no work on any of that until late this year earliest.

Greg in Mississippi

Everything Matters!