IGNORED

ALLO USBridge Signature

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I wouldn’t call them half baked just because they don’t suit your usage. Most people are wired and adding Digione is an incidental plus. I think they target a user type and produce a product. Seems like a fair model. Prices are still good. More add ons increase price. They have picked their market.

People who use these boards are semi DIYers, probably not needing smart boxes. Probably not many using USB and SPDIF for DACs. SPDIF people are unlikely to upgrade from DigiOne Sig for a minor SQ tweak. Allo have an unusual model, and a smallish target market currently. Works for me because of the end result. Five years time- interesting to see where we are then.

• 2 weeks later...

I am using a CISCO 2960 switch (I found a SQ uplift for whatever reason). This works absolutely fine with USBridge (& DigiOne etc) but for some reason USBridge Sig won't "talk" to the switch with anything other than Redbook files and even then inconsistently. I like the SQ improvement of the 2960 and I'm loathe to give it up, any suggestions anyone?

2 hours ago, steklo said:

Did you find a way to use Cisco 2960 in conjunction with USBridge sig? I liked very much the improvement that the implementation of Cisco 2960 brought up and it would be sad to be forced to forego this step of improvement with USBridge sig.

No and with a heavy heart I sent the sig back. The USBridge with good PS and signal performs really very well. I'll wait for the next big thing... Very strange and a great shame. Allo were very helpful, good guys.

8 minutes ago, nbpf said:

It is almost ironic that the USBridge Sig does not work well with the Cisco 2960. On the other hand, the 2960 was introduced more than 10 years ago and discontinued five years later: it is not completely surprising that a new device has troubles coping with a 12 years old switch! How did it come that we reintroduced these old (and rather big and not particularly pretty) switches into our households? Why do we still need to rely on these old switches to get the best out of our newest transports and streamers? Why is replay from a local drive still not as good as (or even better than) replay from a LAN server? How long will it take until we get high quality DACs that read their data from a local memory and allow us to get rid of all these cables, switches, streamers, bridges, etc. altogether? Fifteen years later, it shouldn't be that difficult to build a memory player that is (at least) as good as the Naim CDX3, should it?  

Excellent questions and all intriguing. The ironic thing in my HO is that the USBridge works perfectly with the CISCO but the sig doesn't, presumably because of the new chip. I'd love to know why the CISCO increases (my perception) of SQ. I'm confident these things are on the verge of being understood and will lead to some kind of reasonably priced audio Nirvana. Part of me wants some stuff to remain misunderstood so we can keep kidding ourselves and buying more kit and having "fun". Harmless fun.

10 hours ago, allo.com said:

USbridge Sig was designed to eliminates most of the noise from Ethernet input

Maybe the CISCO 2960 is doing that already? Which would explain a lot.

10 hours ago, allo.com said:

I think that he is using Mutec after the USB output and it would make sense that there is not a major improvement

Perhaps you could explain the sense, I'm not sure it's obvious?

3 hours ago, allo.com said:

My opinion is that you will get less benefits

3 hours ago, allo.com said:

I never listened to Mutec convertors

I think you need to be careful making assumptions here. I'm not assumings, I'm just listening. I know the theory, sometimes theory isn't borne out.

I also use Sonore ultraDigital.

Just because I returned your product, you don't need to be defensive and explain my system that you haven't heard or know the details of. 

If the big thing about the sig is Ethernet treatment, I'm surprised you aren't aware of what the CISCO 2960 brings as the improvements there are ethernet related. Also surprised that the sig won't talk to the CISCO and you don't understand why. I know the CISCO is old, so am I. I still work (mostly).

18 hours ago, allo.com said:

I am not making assumption

I fail to see

You say you are not making an assumption but it's based on your opinion. It's easy to hear upstream changes when passing through Mutec. You seem to be presuming that it would obscure all upstream. This without any experience and contradicting someone who listens to the system. As I said sometimes theory isn't borne out. 

old hardware becomes out of spec

What waffle is this? I'm sorry the sig didn't work out for me, this is because it doesn't work with the CISCO switch, not my fault. It took ages to write the EMMC card because it only works with certain writers, spent hours and hours with different OSs to get it working. I was very patient. I returned it and now you are criticising my set up based on presumptions, failing to see, in your opinion and yet just like the CISCO, you have got one or tried it. 

I'm not interested in this sort of discourse, don't bother to respond.

13 minutes ago, allo.com said:

if you want to get full benefits of USbridge Sig

For full benefits I should spend another £20k on speakers and amps... Life's not that simple! I'm also using Sonore ultraDigital, is that also going to detract? More or less than Mutec? Rhetorical.

16 minutes ago, allo.com said:

Clearly , if you use the Mutec (or any other device ) to feed your DAC , you will not get full benefits

I get that, I'd settle for quite a bit of the benefit, what percentage do I lose? Rhetorical.

4 hours ago, allo.com said:

I have been very clear. You want full benefits of USbridge Sig use it as the last device before DAC.

If you are using another device , you wont get same benefits.

That's self evident? I have no idea why you persist in this conversation. 

I have also been very clear, you don't seem to understand my points though.

I don't think you need to be so defensive. You are alienating customers needlessly. I'm getting a little hacked off. I have always been supportive on the boards even when I have had issues (not infrequent). I also bought a shanti, which I found disappointing (sits in a cupboard). I didn't mention that as I'm a decent guy. Now you take this attitude.

Can I return the Shanti? How about the USBridge and the DigiOne Sig? I can use something else. Let me know.