IGNORED

Tristan and Isolde?

6 hours ago, Moosbrugger said:

I just finished a short biography of Wagner. Can someone recommend a good version of Tristan and Isolde?   I’ve got a recording of Gotterdammerung, but I’m rarely able to get very far.  Who’s got the time?

Götterdämmerung is a difficult piece to start with. If you would want try Der Ring again, then Die Walküre may be easier to grasp. 

As with other Wagner operas, the choice for first acquaintance with Tristan und Isolde may be difficult. Best (and "right") voices were recorded long ago, and sound quality is not good. Modern recordings with good SQ in most of the cases have not exactly "wagnerian" voices, imho. Many modern times singers just have no idea how to approach Wagner. Such listening experience may be easier to bear for someone who heard great golden voices of the past and could return to those at any moment, but for the beginner it might be most disorienting in best case. Well, I think Bohm recording with Windgassen and Nilsson from mid sixties would be good place to start (also because it was recorded in Bayreuth). Recording under Carlos Kleiber from mid seventies for DG with Kollo and Price would not be considered exactly "right" from traditional point of view, but it is most beautiful and fine for getting closer to great composer. 

By no means does this imply interest or otherwise in Wagner.  :)

One outlet for works generally out of the repertoire or receiving a lower quality of performance today is Pristine Audio.  Their XR treatment can make solid inroads on legacy recordings that were given attention at the time.  Samples are readily available to determine if the resultant mix of performance and rescued sound quality enables you to penetrate the work.

Tristan and Isolde

On 9/19/2019 at 12:13 AM, AnotherSpin said:

Götterdämmerung is a difficult piece to start with. If you would want try Der Ring again, then Die Walküre may be easier to grasp.

I agree that Die Walküre is the best Wagner opera to try first.  With Tristan I would skip Act 1.  Also try the final act of Lohengrin and the last part of Parsifal, beginning with the Good Friday Spell.

HQPlayer (on 3.8 GHz 8-core i7 iMac 2020) > NAA (on 2012 Mac Mini i7) > RME ADI-2 v2 > Benchmark AHB-2 > Thiel 3.7

On 9/26/2019 at 4:36 PM, Kal Rubinson said:

Jon Vickers is absolutely worth hearing, period.  Tristan, Siegmund, Grimes, Florestan, Radames.........Otello!

So you recommend this one?

319811816_PeterGrimes.jpg.9df991623a77346cf6eae5126ef59af9.jpg

Main System: [Synology DS216, Rpi-4b LMS (pCP)], Holo Audio Red, Ayre QX-5 Twenty, Ayre KX-5 Twenty, Ayre VX-5 Twenty, Revel Ultima Studio2, Iconoclast speaker cables & interconnects, RealTraps acoustic treatments

Living Room: Sonore ultraRendu, Ayre QB-9DSD, Simaudio MOON 340iX, B&W 802 Diamond

• 1 month later...