TubeLover

What Hi-Fi Article Says Tidal Hi Rez Sounds Better Than Qobuz

Rate this topic

@AudioDoctor agree with your progression/?regression my local files are all Apple Lossless ALAC/AIFF. About 800 CD's some in DVD-A ripped va DVD-A Extractor now reside whatever iTunes is now but have all been transferred to TIDAL and Qobuz and in turn to ROON and Audirvana 3+/ 3.5.

My 'subjective' feeling is the original CD's SACD's and DVD-A's all just 'sound better'.

I have gone from listening using nothing to 'upgrade' the SQ except my AVR then first modi/magni to gungnir SD/AQDFRed/ME2 to my 'last rodeo' a Yggy GS and Rggy 2 with Legacy Audio Studio HD monitors and my same old Sennheiser 598HD's and RS-195's cans

No doubt in my mind the 'originals'(local files so to speak) played through my old 2005 Yamaha 5 disc CD/SACD/DVD-A/CD changer via RCA to the new amp RCAs are subjectively 'better' BUT when those 'originals' are played via USB from either TIDAL/Qobuz or via ROON/Audirvana through the DAC(MB GEN5) are pretty spectacular especially with either of those headphones-- that Schiit amp is a fantastic headphone amp-- the separation, SQ ,bass, 'blackness', definition of instruments drums and vocals is like nothing I ever experienced.

I agree offerings from Qobuz sound superior and playing through ROON is good but A+3.5 is even better overall regardless of what I am listening to.

Those small 32# Studio monitors sound unbelievable also are no slouches.

bobbmd

@bobbmd all else being equal I think the regression stands. I do think A+ sounds better when used directly connected to the DAC than ROON does. However I am network streaming now and that to me eliminates differences between players and I go for the best interface, which is ROON. 

No electron left behind...

@AudioDoctor couldn't agree with you more ie the interface and that A3.5 for some reason sounds better but...  ROON is very quirky( some times) and their support people are just too technical but i like both services.

BTW- i am now in possession of my 'last rodeo'/system a Schiit Ragnarok 2 just the amp/Yggdrasil GS/Legacy Audio Studio HD monitors with digital optical out from my cable box to the DAC(it decodes!) ME 2 RCA speaker out to the amp, USBGEN5 out to the amp( for TIDAL Qobuz ROON and Audirvana) and hooked up two changers a Yamaha c750 dvd dvd-a sacd cd changer via RCA to the amp and a Harman/Kardon fl8370 HDCD changer via coaxial to the DAC

I am in audiophile heaven-that amp is one Schiitfull of a headphone amp! Jerry and his boys especially never sounded so crystal clear-- and sound/ SQ separation/'blackness' is just beyond belief

9 minutes ago, Sonicularity said:

Does Tidal have Hi-Res?  Would MQA qualify for a Hi-Res Audio sticker?  I only see lossy MQA and 16/44 on Tidal.

16/44 and lossy MQA is all Tidal offers.

Hey MQA, if it is not all $voodoo$, show us the math!

On 10/2/2019 at 7:26 AM, Abtr said:

When I initially got into computer audio and streaming, CD (s/pdif) sounded better than anything streamed over USB from a computer to a DAC. Then I installed proper electrical isolation between the computer and the USB input circuitry and the DAC. Now streaming over USB sounds at least as good as CD in my system. Currently I mostly use Tidal for streaming. I will try Qobuz but I can't imagine how it can possibly sound better than Tidal. Bits are bits you know. BTW, I don't care about MQA unless it uses a better master than the best available redbook or higher resolution version of the same music (usually the original 16/44.1 release).     

Sorry for the off topic but could you pls expand on your statement

"Then I installed proper electrical isolation between the computer and the USB input circuitry and the DAC."

Should that have been "of the DAC?

Irrespective of the semantics what exactly did you do to electrically isolate the DAC from the computer and enjoy such a large increase in sound quality. I assume the overall purpose / result was to mitigate noise?

LOUNGE: Mac Mini - Audirvana - Devialet 200 - ATOHM GT1 Speakers

OFFICE : Mac Mini - Audirvana - Benchmark DAC1HDR - ADAM A7 Active Monitors

TRAVEL : MacBook Air - Dragonfly V1.2 DAC - Sennheiser HD 650

BEACH : iPhone 6 - HRT iStreamer DAC - Akimate Micro + powered speakers

13 hours ago, Ajax said:

Sorry for the off topic but could you pls expand on your statement

"Then I installed proper electrical isolation between the computer and the USB input circuitry and the DAC."

Should that have been "of the DAC?

Irrespective of the semantics what exactly did you do to electrically isolate the DAC from the computer and enjoy such a large increase in sound quality. I assume the overall purpose / result was to mitigate noise?

Yes. Basically it's the audio system described in my signature/profile. First, an Airlink (balanced) mains isolation transformer isolates the computer power supply and general mains noise from the rest of the system. Secondly, a Schiit Eitr DDC galvanically isolates the computer USB output *and* the USB receiver from the actual DAC circuitry. Thirdly, an Uptone LPS-1 fully isolated power supply provides the 5V USB power for Eitr, with its SMPS plugged in before the mains isolation transformer.

Currently I use a Delock (DLCK-62790) coax to toslink converter (also powered by LPS-1) between Eitr and DAC which further improves SQ. I'm not sure how this works. The converter may optically isolate USB receiver noise that gets through Eitr's transformer-based isolation and coaxial connection, and/or it may reduce jitter by a superior PLL implementation, thus reducing noisy PLL processing inside the DAC. Some other (LPS-1 powered) coax to toslink converters I tried give significantly less improved SQ (if at all) indicating that jitter is the problem. If so, Eitr may also benefit from improved coaxial output.

Anyhow, most of these measures are aimed at reducing electrical noise and jitter resulting from digital processing in computer and DAC. IF Tidal sounds better than Qobuz (or vice versa) in any given system, then I think it must be due to dissimilar electrical noise generated by different digital processing in the computer source. Both players will of course produce bit perfect PCM.

Current system: MacMini/PC  >> Schiit Eitr (with Uptone Audio LPS-1, for 5V USB power) >>  Delock DLCK-62790 coax to toslink converter (with Uptone Audio LPS-1, 5V DC power supply) >> RME ADI-2 DAC (with Zerozone 12V linear power supply) >>  modified Xkitz Electronics XOVER-2, 100Hz active crossover (with Zerozone 17.5V linear power supply + LDOVR LT3045-A, ultra-low noise 15V voltage regulator) >> Schiit Vidar stereo power amp to KEF LS50 speakers + Sunfire HRS12/HRS8 active subwoofer. Cables used: Canare star quad speaker cables; AQ Cinnamon USB; AQ Big Sur & Schiit Pyst RCA; Supra CAT8 ethernet cable (with JSSG) for low voltage DC power; unknown coaxial cables; standard mains power cables (with Airlink BPS1502EU, 1500VA, balanced, mains isolation transformer).