IGNORED

Article: Amazon Music HD Launches

3 hours ago, Jud said:

Loudness has nothing to do with resolution, so if it's louder it's for one of two reasons:

Very unlikely, Amazon's doing something to the file.

Much more likely, the fact that the music goes through your non-bit-perfect computer/player/device settings could easily be responsible for increased loudness.

In my case, the "Loudness Normalization" was on by default when I reinstalled the app (following your directions).  I am almost positive it wasn't like that before, so that it didn't inherit this setting.  Also, the volume was attenuated (which would compress the dynamic range, paradoxically making it sound "louder.")

So, if these settings were in fact the default in the high-res player, Amazon is doing something to playback by default (that can then be changed in the "advanced" preferences), albeit not to the files themselves.

On 9/20/2019 at 4:46 PM, bbosler said:

as for the so called "free" trial

I signed up yesterday thinking what's to lose with a free trial. Then I see a $7.99 charge from Amazon Music on my credit card today. I call and am told that the HD trial is free but you have to have a $7.99 unlimited account to get the free trial. Of course, I ask how can it be free when I get charged $7.99? They said again, only free if you pay for unlimited

I canceled and got my $7.99 back

first they have a setting that says you get HD downloads when it turns out that is not actually a download even when you pay for the song like I foolishly did,  it is only for offline listening, any actual download is low resolution MP3, now this

f**k em, I'm done with em

I saw your post just now, and my heart sank.  That is absolutely outrageous, and probably illegal.

I can't find a similar charge on mine (yet).  Did you have an Amazon Prime membership to begin with?  (Even with prime, you don't get "unlimited" by default, which has me even more worried...)

1 hour ago, senorx said:

Have had Prime for years, but never music unlimited. Got the free trial and it is free, and Amazon confirms that the charge will be $12.99/mo. or 129.99/yr starting in December. Presumably as long as I maintain my Prime membership. Can't imagine where the "illegal"(ity) would lie.

This is what I have too.

There was no mention of the baseline charge when I signed up, and, at least currently, they haven't charged me anything.  It looks like I will be charged $12.99 on December 17th, which is exactly what I thought I was signing up for.

If they had slipped in a charge, that would have been problematic. But as far as I am aware, they haven't done that to me.

1 hour ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

I've never had an Amazon Music subscription but I've been a Prime member forever. 

I signed up for the HD subscription at $12.99 per month. I haven't been billed yet. Amazon says my first bill is due December 16, 2019.

It looks like there are some edge cases where people get billed for part of this. It's how all free trials work on all services. You can't sign up for the free trial more than once, thus Amazon billing some people for the part they've already received as a free trial and leaving the HD part free for 90 days. 

Thanks, again, that is exactly my situation.