IGNORED

Article: Amazon Music HD Launches

18 minutes ago, kirkmc said:

Assuming you can download music from Amazon for off-line streaming (which is almost certainly the case; I haven't looked), you would have to find which folder stores the files for the app's settings, cache, etc. and put them on the NAS. But you cannot "stream from the NAS" as you are probably thinking; you need to use their app. 

16 minutes ago, joelha said:

Not the answer I was hoping for, but it was the answer I was expecting. 

Thanks kirkmc. 

Joel

I'm wondering if the answer is "it depends." If your NAS can be configured as a file/application server, and the OS is one the Amazon app will run on, then maybe...?

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

14 minutes ago, Gus141 said:

Yes, that’s going to be an interesting issue: who gets access to the APIs?

TIDAL and Qobuz have been great getting their services integrated into third-party apps that support high-end streamers (e.g. DS Lightning, mConnect, etc.). Folks who own multi-thousand-dollar streamers (Auralic, Lumin, etc.) aren’t likely to leave a service that they can currently control with their remote apps, unless Amazon Music gets on those apps/streamers (like BluOS devices).

Listening to Lumineers at the moment playing on my main system from Amazon HD app on phone through microRendu via its Shairport app. The Amazon app acts as a remote.

This means my DAC rather than Audirvana, which I'd prefer, is doing the upsampling. But it does mean that with one of the Rendus, or another device/minicomputer that supports Shairport or a similar application (perhaps some of the streamers themselves?), streaming to the main system with remote control by phone is already available.

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

23 minutes ago, shadowlight said:

@Jud is the Amazon app the same one that you use for Amazon Music or is there a different one?  If different can you share the name.  Search apple store but not finding anything other than amazon music

Hi @shadowlight - Same app. I found that after signing up, if I deleted and reinstalled the app it came back up as Amazon Music HD.

1 minute ago, shadowlight said:

Thank you.

De nada. 🙂

39 minutes ago, Archimago said:

Hi-res IMO for them is just a checkbox item to say they could do it.

I think it's a little more than that. I think they're after making just a couple bucks per customer more than competing mp3/AAC services, aiming at the kid or 30-something with what they consider a decent pair of headphones. If you want to appeal to as wide as swath as Amazon, a couple bucks per can add up pretty quickly. 

Think of it in somewhat the same way as Apple becoming a music industry behemoth, and launching iPods and iPhones, basically on the idea of the 99 cent download.

5 minutes ago, bbosler said:

not true.. it does have everything to do with the provider when they claim they are selling you a high rez file and charging a premium for an upsampled file .. perhaps they did not upsample it themselves, but when they claim it is high resolution when it is not and they know some of their files are upsampled then they are culpable. When I called them on it they claimed, like you,  that they were at the mercy of the labels, but it only takes a few seconds playing the file to see whether are not it has a brick wall filter at 20KHz.

They were selling upsampled files claiming they were high resolution, they knew it, and they refused to do anything about it unless they got caught... that makes them guilty as charged

We were talking about Amazon.... I see absolutely no reason to think Amazon would go to the trouble of changing what they receive from the labels, for better or worse. Everything about the service (for example, not bothering with bit perfect but just using whatever your player/computer/device setting is) says they are just getting the tracks and putting them out there, period.

1 minute ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Check the loudness enable/disable feature in the Amazon app.

Yeah, I disabled that instantly.

2 hours ago, blue2 said:

Latest comments indicate Amazon HD is streaming only, downloads are in mp3.

Two different things. Streaming is in 16/44.1 and above by all indications. However, Amazon hasn’t (yet) gotten into the hi-res download business; all downloads to be purchased from them are still mp3 format.

33 minutes ago, Michaelb4 said:

I currently use a Sonore Rendu running SonicOrbiter into a Mytek DAC. I use ROON/Qobuz. I am really happy with what I have and would make changes only if I had to.

To access Amazon Hi-Def

Am I right that what would be required would be a software rewrite by Sonore or who writes their software to play Amazon Hi-Def and to use Amazon with Roon in addition to Sonore changes also software changes to ROON. 

Rendu will receive over Shairport, no rewrite necessary, though I don't know what the resolution limits of the protocol may be if any.

Roon you're correct.

10 minutes ago, charlesphoto said:

For most people music is about the connection, an emotional marker in their lives, not about the quality of sound

I’ve had great emotional experiences without high quality sound. A cassette recording of a bootleg LP of a Springsteen concert was something I treasured until my cassette player gave up the ghost. But I’ve also had wonderful experiences hearing old familiar performances more clearly (particularly Beatles and John Lennon). So I think it’s not either/or, but both.

20 minutes ago, Abstraction said:

There is a renaissance of this music especially in New York in the last 20 years.  Many of the players are young, many of them (rare in the history of jazz) are women, and week to week they push the limits of the music. Their CDs, and there are a lot of them, are made in small studios and beautifully engineered, but hi-res offerings are rare.

Well - out with it, man!  ;) Names of artists/albums?

On 9/23/2019 at 9:25 AM, The Computer Audiophile said:

I've never had an Amazon Music subscription but I've been a Prime member forever. 

I signed up for the HD subscription at $12.99 per month. I haven't been billed yet. Amazon says my first bill is due December 16, 2019.

It looks like there are some edge cases where people get billed for part of this. It's how all free trials work on all services. You can't sign up for the free trial more than once, thus Amazon billing some people for the part they've already received as a free trial and leaving the HD part free for 90 days. 

Right, similarly here I signed up for Unlimited (mistakenly) and HD at the same time, haven't been billed for either.

At this point you may want to look again at the Qobuz catalog and see if it's made up ground vs Tidal with the music you listen to.