IGNORED

Article: Amazon Music HD Launches

On 9/17/2019 at 3:24 PM, wdw said:

Logging in from Canada .... the site sends me back to the Canadian Amazon site without any apparent links to the HD version of Amazon Music.  Any Canadians able to log in and play?

I logged in from Canada and it offered me the subscription. However, I have an Amazon US account in addition to a Amazon Canada (and Amazon UK) account.  I was automatically logged in to Amazon US (cookie) when I went to the link Chris provided.

I am curious as to where I can find the link to download the app?  Is it for the PC? Or is there only apps for Android/iOS?

mQa is dead!

1 hour ago, MikeyFresh said:

There are both Windows and macOS desktop apps.

I was prompted within the web browser by a ribbon notification to "click here" for the desktop app, that same notification warned that HD and UHD tracks were only compatible with the desktop apps and not a regular web browser.

It was difficult to find -- had to click on something (don't remember what) to expand the ribbon to show the button for the apps. I downloaded and installed the desktop app.  It will let me play music from my PC. Also, I can play 30 second samples from the store BUT I have not seen any reference to HD.  Everything appears to be MP3. Am I missing something?

mQa is dead!

On 9/17/2019 at 6:49 PM, Archimago said:

For Prime members already, at $13/m, this is highly compelling compared to Tidal Premium at $20/m. Heck, even without Prime membership, $15/m is undercutting the competition in a rather big way; occupying the price gap between lossy Apple or Spotify at $10/m and the lossless Tidal/Qobuz at $20+/m.

But strangely enough, Tidal is only $20 Cdn/month in Canada.  Amazon's $15 USD/month will work out to $20 Cdn/month.

There's also the cost of Prime membership  -- $119 USD/year or $12.99 USD/month in the US (it's only $79 Cdn / year or $7.99 Cdn/month -- go figure).

Maybe Canadians will get a reduced cost for AMZN HD?

mQa is dead!

On 9/17/2019 at 9:46 PM, Gus141 said:

Also, Chris, have you tried Amazon Music app with your DF Cobalt with CCK on iPad? My DFC lights up indicating 96kHz even if I play “HD”-labled music (44.1kHZ). Got the same behavior with a Monolith AAA THX Portable DAC attached to iPad via CCK (this DAC has an OLED screen that shows sampling rate, and it shows 192kHz for everything out of the Amazon Music app regardless of actual SR. So I tried an iFi xDSD on 5.3 firmware (versus 5.3c, so that the LED lights mean something) and the LED is indicating yellow (PCM 176-384 kHz) for *All* content.

Something is going on here. It looks like everything is getting upsampled on the iPad when connected to an external DAC.

I had the same problem with the Tidal app on Android. The DF Red indicated 96K no matter what was played.

mQa is dead!

On 9/17/2019 at 11:58 PM, cscamp said:

Yup! Roon needs to make a choice here. They may possibly lose subscribers because of this. I love Roon, but supporting only 2 music services maybe their downfall. Glad I didn't buy the lifetime subscription.

I don't think Roon will be the issue -- it will be whether Amazon decides to cooperate or not.

mQa is dead!