IGNORED

Article: Amazon Music HD Launches

5 minutes ago, kirkmc said:

Yes, but can DRM be easily added to FLAC files? 

Anything can be encrypted. This website is encrypted. Music streaming is no different. One way or another, the servers provide files encrypted such that only an authorised application can decrypt them. I don't have much of a problem with that, since they'll obviously keep providing client software as long as the service is operational.

7 minutes ago, mevdinc said:

You can change the country you want at the top right corner.

Is there a way to navigate from the amazon.com (or .co.uk, de, or whatever) main page to the HD music signup page? Clicking on any of the music related links takes me to a signup page for the regular Unlimited service with no HD option. The direct link Chris provided works.

20 minutes ago, kennyb123 said:

Yeah my bad.  I deleted my comment after seeing this.  My point is still valid.  Why did he need to take a swipe at Kirk?  Why couldn't he have just corrected the statement as I did?  

I had already made a correct statement, to which the incorrect one was a reply. Why should I repeat myself?

37 minutes ago, labjr said:

"...up to 192 kHz, and an average bitrate of 3730 kbps."

3730 kbps seems low? Shouldn't it be like 5,400 for 192khz sample rate 

How did you arrive at 5400? Uncompressed 192 kHz 24-bit stereo is 9.2 Mbps. With FLAC compression it usually ends up in the 4-5 Mbps range.

10 minutes ago, labjr said:

I was going by what I see in Jriver when a 192k file is playing.

OK, 5.4 Mbps is also within reason for the compressed bit rate. I agree that 3.7 Mbps seems low. Maybe its the average rate of the whole high-res catalogue with a mix of 96 kHz and 192 kHz.

2 minutes ago, PAR said:

Nevertheless I have always had a suspicion that there is something odd about 24/44.1 recordings. After all if you are going to master @24 bit why do this with a sample rate of 44.1 when, almost certainly if you have a 24 bit ADC , 96KS/s is available to you?

It is apparently quite common. One reason could be total bandwidth limits in a multi-track system.