IGNORED

Article: Amazon Music HD Launches

9 hours ago, Archimago said:

Yeah, true @Jud.

There are a few more bucks here. And they're smart in packaging this with having a Prime account which also opens up Prime Video. For Prime members already, at $13/m, this is highly compelling compared to Tidal Premium at $20/m. Heck, even without Prime membership, $15/m is undercutting the competition in a rather big way; occupying the price gap between lossy Apple or Spotify at $10/m and the lossless Tidal/Qobuz at $20+/m.

Yup, for once I can agree with Neil Young as per Chris' quote above :-).

Or if you buy annually at 10.825/m nearly equaling lossy services..

3 hours ago, firedog said:

I wonder what Lee is thinking now with all his big "inside info" about how MQA had a major coup coming up that would alter the market.  I really think this is going to kill them. I think there will be little reason for anyone to sign up to Tidal now. Maybe there will still be subscribers for Qobuz (especially Sublime +) for the audiophile niche market, but not anyone else, at least in the US. 

This was probably going to be it. And now it is not...

13 minutes ago, mansr said:

Qobuz has a proper 24/96 version of all The Doors albums (and it's a bargain too): https://www.qobuz.com/gb-en/album/the-complete-studio-albums-the-doors/0603497933105

I don't know what Amazon is streaming, but at least a non-MQA release exists.

Yes I'm talking about the digital version of the anniversary set which was MQA CD. Next one is reputed to be too.

10 hours ago, Enochrome said:

I'm getting 16bit streaming of "Kind of Blue" on my Macbook. It says the device is capable of 24bit/96 and the track is available in 24bit/96 but it's relegating it to 16bit. Is there something I am doing wrong? I notice other tracks by other artists in 24/96 are having the same outcome. 

Adjust your Audio/Midi settings. (App in Utilities)

13 hours ago, left channel said:

Well, that's the expected Music HD compatible Echo. But Dolby Atmos music seems like an abomination. I'm sure most of us here turn processing off to listen to music in our home theaters. Now they're going to release albums specifically pre-processed for Atmos. I'm sure anyone's brain will feel tickled by all that at first, but we'll quickly notice a lack of detail and other disappointments.

On the other hand if you're at all into old school-type discrete surround a la DVD-A/SACD this could be a godsend.

I mentioned to Qobuz that if they did integrate with HEOS (interesting why that didn't happen BTW), how would their (small) 5.1 catalogue behave?

Now we have a question as to what this Atmos material will do on Denon and Marantz AVRs via HEOS.

We have Blu Rays of INXS Kick, and R.E.M Automatic For the People with Atmos mixes on them so material is there already - in fact if you search Dolby Atmos in Amazon HD the latter is one of only three things that come up. Presents like 2.0 24/96 though.

Can't wait to get home later and run it through HEOS. I think streaming Hi-Res surround is something Qobuz should have gone further with but maybe you need Amazon scale and power to pull this off. Maybe it's the usual white elephant. Attach the term 3D to anything and it's over...