The Computer Audiophile

Article: ELAC Alchemy DDP-2 DAC Review

Rate this topic

Thanks a lot for the review, very informative. One thing I was hoping for though is a comparison of the DDP-2's internal wi-fi vs. ethernet vs. USB with renderer (i.e. microRendu or similar). I have this theory that one clock should provide an advantage over separate clocks for bridge, renderer and DAC. The DDP-2 is the only DAC/preamp I know of that offers this feature via its I2S linkage.

58 minutes ago, Ran said:

$2500 and no support for DLNA/OpenHome?

DLNA support is pretty much crippled until ELAC updates the firmware. 

30 minutes ago, audiobomber said:

Thanks a lot for the review, very informative. One thing I was hoping for though is a comparison of the DDP-2's internal wi-fi vs. ethernet vs. USB with renderer (i.e. microRendu or similar). I have this theory that one clock should provide an advantage over separate clocks for bridge, renderer and DAC. The DDP-2 is the only DAC/preamp I know of that offers this feature via its I2S linkage.

That's probably a topic too far into the weeds for a review, but I'm sure we'll get there in the forum 😁

Founder of Audiophile Style

17 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

That's probably a topic too far into the weeds for a review, but I'm sure we'll get there in the forum 😁

Maybe a comparo with the DAC3 as well? 

5 hours ago, Ran said:

$2500 and no support for DLNA/OpenHome?

This didn't seem correct so I asked Elac:

"The DDP-2 supports UPnP/DLNA streaming but is not Open Home compatible."
Respectfully,
ELAC Customer Service

24 minutes ago, audiobomber said:

Respectfully,
ELAC Customer Service

They didn't tell you bout the current limitation to CD quality though :~)

Just now, The Computer Audiophile said:

I believe it's a custom ELAC board. 

C'mon... what is the MAC address? Did you scan for open ports?

3 minutes ago, Ran said:

C'mon... what is the MAC address? Did you scan for open ports?

The NIC wasn't designed by ELAC, which of course the MAC address is associated with, but the streaming part is custom. No StreamUnlimited, ConversDigital, etc...

https://www.variscite.com/

Screen Shot 2019-09-17 at 4.07.36 PM.png

3 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

@Ran In a way the DDP-2 has ELAC's version of a Rendu inside. Custom OS running on an ARM SoM.

Good to know. Thanks!

Hi Chris:

You wrote in the conclusion “handles input as a Roon Ready device unique among DACs...”

I’m not following you there. A number of other DACs with Ethernet input are certified as Roon Ready (such as several with the ConversDigital mConnect input board). Can you explain what you meant? 

1 hour ago, Superdad said:

Hi Chris:

You wrote in the conclusion “handles input as a Roon Ready device unique among DACs...”

I’m not following you there. A number of other DACs with Ethernet input are certified as Roon Ready (such as several with the ConversDigital mConnect input board). Can you explain what you meant? 

I think it was grammar. "unique among DACs (it) keeps analog signals analog at all times as they traverses its circuitry"

5 hours ago, Superdad said:

Hi Chris:

4 hours ago, asdf1000 said:

I think it was grammar. "unique among DACs (it) keeps analog signals analog at all times as they traverses its circuitry"

Peter explains it in the video 😁

14 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Peter explains it in the video 😁

Oops after hearing Peter explain it, I was way off there. Especially after I remembered an analogue pre-amp is not that unique 😁

I'll let @Superdad have a listen and revert how unique (or not) it is.

This seems an interesting alternative to other units I’m considering for a headphone system, but I don’t see any reference to its capabilities in that regard.    How might it compare to Mytek Brooklyn Bridge, Teac NT505, Matrix Element X, or others in that general $$ range I might consider?  Any opinions to offer in a selection?  I would much prefer a single box solution if possible, even if using pre out for phones proves to be better solution than separate headphone amp.

11 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

I wish I could answer, but it has been a while since I heard that combo. 

Thank you.it is a very interesting product. Just bought a pair  of ddp1 and ps5 and I think that it sound really good. Interesting if the separate power supply make it sound better...

Now in the hunt for dmp to replace my Digi one signature.

Edited by Roip

On 9/17/2019 at 4:30 PM, audiobomber said:

Respectfully,
ELAC Customer Service

The question to ask is if the DDP-2 is a upnp player or renderer. If the latter is true then the DDP-2 could be configured as an Open Home renderer using the BubbleUPnP server application/program. This is the method I employ for my four (4) upnp renderers with the BubbleUPnP server app running on an android set top box (Wetek Play 2) and Linn Kazoo as the control point on a cheap android phone.

rmel66.

1 hour ago, rmel66 said:

The question to ask is if the DDP-2 is a upnp player or renderer. If the latter is true then the DDP-2 could be configured as an Open Home renderer using the BubbleUPnP server application/program. This is the method I employ for my four (4) upnp renderers with the BubbleUPnP server app running on an android set top box (Wetek Play 2) and Linn Kazoo as the control point on a cheap android phone.

rmel66.

Renderer.