rn701

Snake oil chronicles

Rate this topic

For the ripping, I use an OWC Mercury Pro 16X outboard drive connected to my PC via a USB cable from Curious Cables. The drive sits on three Vibrapods with a Shakti Stone on top. Additionally, all discs are blackened around the outside edges and then placed on a Furutech RD-2 demagnetizer. Ripping is done with dBPoweramp CD Ripper software. Okay, commence the slings and arrows... but yeah, this is what I do. Plus, I sleep better at night thinking that it matters and for me at least, I hear a difference.

Later...

So yeah, I get it.... a switch cannot, should not make a difference in the sound. In the music. Either it works or it does not. Either the bytes get from A to B or they don't. But that is network thinking, that is IT thinking... it is digital transmission thinking. Not music thinking. Not audio thinking. More here than just moving this signal from A to B and so we not fielding comments that dispute us for hearing what we hear. 

Can't tell if serious.

http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/equipment/0919/SOtM_sNH_10G_Switch_Review.htm

58 minutes ago, rn701 said:

For the ripping, I use an OWC Mercury Pro 16X outboard drive connected to my PC via a USB cable from Curious Cables. The drive sits on three Vibrapods with a Shakti Stone on top. Additionally, all discs are blackened around the outside edges and then placed on a Furutech RD-2 demagnetizer. Ripping is done with dBPoweramp CD Ripper software. Okay, commence the slings and arrows... but yeah, this is what I do. Plus, I sleep better at night thinking that it matters and for me at least, I hear a difference.

Later...

So yeah, I get it.... a switch cannot, should not make a difference in the sound. In the music. Either it works or it does not. Either the bytes get from A to B or they don't. But that is network thinking, that is IT thinking... it is digital transmission thinking. Not music thinking. Not audio thinking. More here than just moving this signal from A to B and so we not fielding comments that dispute us for hearing what we hear. 

Can't tell if serious.

http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/equipment/0919/SOtM_sNH_10G_Switch_Review.htm

It is so easy to detect differences when they don't exist -- all it requires is a small difference in blood pressure, mental state, focus while listening, etc.  I don't know if there is ANYONE with the discipline to control their bodies and mental state to do a totally reliable audio signal comparison without external scientific controls.  (Additionally, there are external differences that can distort results -- I am ignoring changes in temperature/humidity often given as error sources for the experiment -- but they can also manifest...  I believe that the variability of the human body is more significant.)

The problems when detecting differences also manifest when looking for improvement -- but wishful thinking can also distort the results.

ABX type methods can help.  Blind comparisons are critical.

On the other hand -- differences in system noise CAN leak into the audio path.   The digital world tends to be very noisy, but has definitely improved over the years.   When I was growing up, my PDP11 disabled any attempt to watch TV in the nearby living room (we used rabbit ears.)  Computers ARE better now, but still not perfect, and noise DOES leak.

Do some of the odd claims in the article seem credible -- no.  Noise transmission IS possible, but the explanation/mindset is silly.

John

I"t is so easy to detect differences when they don't exist"    -   @John Dyson

If that is not the best lyric for a song posted in the last year, I don't know what is......I am thinking you should start a band.

In any dispute the intensity of feeling is inversely proportional to the value of the issues at stake ~ Sayre's Law

6 hours ago, ralphfcooke said:

Didn't have my PDP11-40 at home, so no interference, but I do remember playing 'Moon Lander' on a VT/11 vector display, when I should have been working on some early FFT code on RSX-11.  Didn't understand the 'arches' back then as no McDonalds in the UK.

Happy days!!

Off topic, but kind of cool -- you know about the simulators that can make your PC run as a SUPER FAST PDP11 or DEC-10.  (simh is one good simulator...   There are plenty of TOPS-10/TOPS-20/RSX11M/RSX11Mplus/RSTS/etc disk images AND installation disk images available.  They are mostly legal also!!!)   Bitsavers has a lot of the old manuals.

Imagine a PDP11 that is 50X faster than a real PDP11...  PCs running Linux/Unix or even Windows are so much nicer, but about 10 minutes of running the old OS is kind of nice to try before getting bored.  I will probably never do it again, but I am glad that I did boot/play with TOPS10/RSX11Mplus on my Linux machine.

Back on topic... :-).