IGNORED

Firewire interface

This maybe of interest to people contemplating the Vesta Firewire interface

TC Electronic’s Konnekt 8 fire wire interface features the same firewire to spdif conversion chip and Jet jitter elimination technology as the Vesta.

Taken from the TC Electronic web site: “The newly TC developed DICE II chip is based on JET, Jitter Elimination Technology. For a converter to work at its best, it needs a stable clock, and that is exactly what the JET technology gives you.”

The Konnekt 8 only does 24bit 96khz and has one coaxial RCA output but can be had for less than $300.00 from any online pro musician site. I have not seen a published price for the Vesta but have seen $4500.00 thrown around on various forums.

www.tcelectronic.com

www.zzounds.com/cat--TC-Electronic--3436

PC running XP pro, C Play, TC Electonic Konnect 8 Firewire to Spdif, 2 Lyngdorf 2200TDAi amplifiers, Synergy Acoustics crossoverless monitors driven actively by the 2200TDAi\'s, custom subwoofers driven by a Lyngdorf SDA2175

JetPLL is a very interesting technology.

Apart from Westa, Weiss Minerva uses the same technology. Also recently M-Audio and Presonus have licensed JetPLL and the first units have been already released.

M2Tech Young DAC - Graham Slee Solo SRGII - PSU1 Power Supply - Grado GS 1000i

• 9 months later...

This product seems like a very appealing, low-cost way to do Firewire -> SPDIF. The Mac forums contain some complaints about difficulty getting it to work, but those users are doing recording applications, so it may not apply to the simple conversion app I would use it for. Anyone?

Mac Mini 5,1 [i5, 2.3 GHz, 8GB, Mavericks] w/ Roon -> Ethernet -> TP Link fiber conversion segment -> microRendu w/ LPS-1 -> Schiit Yggdrasil

1. TC-Konnekt products not particularly carry the most happy users;

2. The newly TC developed DICE II chip really meaning X years ago, because the DICEII is EndOfLife.

Maybe not of life importance, but good to know perhaps.

Peter

Lush^3-e      Lush^2      Blaxius^2.5      Ethernet^3     HDMI^2     XLR^2

XXHighEnd (developer)

Phasure NOS1 24/768 Async USB DAC (manufacturer)

Phasure Mach III Audio PC with Linear PSU (manufacturer)

Orelino & Orelo MKII Speakers (designer/supplier)

I have one in use on a windows XP machine and perhaps I just maybe lucky but I have had no issues at all.

It has worked equally well with 2 computers one with on board fire wire and one with an add on pci card.

I had read all the horror stories about TC firewire units but for $300 I took the chance and it worked out. As well since it is sold through Pro music stores that mostly have 30 day money back offers it would not be much of a risk to try out for ones self.

Peter as far as end of life; is not the RME fireface 800 that you use or used just as old.

Just my two cents worth

Cheers.

Shawn

PC running XP pro, C Play, TC Electonic Konnect 8 Firewire to Spdif, 2 Lyngdorf 2200TDAi amplifiers, Synergy Acoustics crossoverless monitors driven actively by the 2200TDAi\'s, custom subwoofers driven by a Lyngdorf SDA2175

I was indirectly referring to TC advertising something as new, while it is already dead. That's all.

Try to find a product with the newer chips (DiceMini, DiceJr) and you can't. Strange world.

But as I said, not of life importance. It is good that you are happy with a TC product, which probably will be for most in this environment (in de Pro environment I'm not so sure).

Btw, be careful not to interpret my using a Fireface for SPDIF passthrough - including my talking about it in some older thread here - as the way to go today. I started doing this back in 2005 and the main reason back then was the versatility of the FF - mainly because of its possibility to "split" DTS channels as decoded at the PC side. So, it could do all one ever could wish for, and this is still so. However, today more products are able to do that (I'm sure), and thus is a FF (even a 400) rather pricey.

One of the major issues with FF devices (always has been, will never change) is the driver area. I don't think anyone does better on this than RME, while others hired a programmer for 6 months, and can't change a bit afterwards ever anymore. TC is in this area, though not so bad as I just implied.

Peter

Lush^3-e      Lush^2      Blaxius^2.5      Ethernet^3     HDMI^2     XLR^2

XXHighEnd (developer)

Phasure NOS1 24/768 Async USB DAC (manufacturer)

Phasure Mach III Audio PC with Linear PSU (manufacturer)

Orelino & Orelo MKII Speakers (designer/supplier)