The Computer Audiophile

Article: Book Review - Neil Young's To Feel The Music: A Songwriter's Mission to Save High-Quality Audio

Rate this topic

Good write-up Chris!

Personally I believe that Neil is financially motivated and driven by greed.

If he isn't totally deaf from performing he'd be able to hear all the claims he made about hirez was complete BS.

He's been trying to find a way to make a buck off high rez and the audiophile community, and now it's this book.

Young and Stuart, two hucksters mad that they couldn't make big money from involvement in the others ventures.  LOL

Yea, vinyl is the top of the audio resolution quality tree,  NOT.   I'm not paying to read him make up tall tails

"The gullibility of audiophiles is what astonishes me the most, even after all these years. How is it possible, how did it ever happen, that they trust fairy-tale purveyors and mystic gurus more than reliable sources of scientific information?"

Peter Aczel - The Audio Critic

no-mqa-sm.jpg

“Earth will be changed forever when Amazon introduces high quality streaming to the masses,” said rock icon Neil Young. “This will be the biggest thing to happen in music since the introduction of digital audio 40 years ago.”

https://press.aboutamazon.com/news-releases/news-release-details/amazon-music-introduces-highest-quality-audio-streaming-amazon

Everyone wants to date my avatar.

1 minute ago, left channel said:

“Earth will be changed forever when Amazon introduces high quality streaming to the masses,” said rock icon Neil Young. “This will be the biggest thing to happen in music since the introduction of digital audio 40 years ago.”

https://press.aboutamazon.com/news-releases/news-release-details/amazon-music-introduces-highest-quality-audio-streaming-amazon

Duncan with soft Planet Earth side rip.JPG

"The overwhelming majority [of audiophiles] have very little knowledge, if any, about the most basic principles and operating characteristics of audio equipment. They often base their purchasing decisions on hearsay, and the preaching of media sages. Unfortunately, because of commercial considerations, much information is rooted in increasing revenue, not in assisting the audiophile. It seems as if the only requirements for becoming an "authority" in the world of audio is a keyboard."

-- Bruce Rozenblit of Transcendent Sound

58 minutes ago, left channel said:

😊

Founder of Audiophile Style

1 minute ago, left channel said:

Thanks Chris. I have been following the Amazon threads, but figured this was a better place to drop the Neil quote.

Ah, got ya. Been trying to keep track of everything today but the flurry of Amazon stuff is crazy.

Thanks!

Founder of Audiophile Style

I probably should have dropped a link to your Amazon article in there myself. (I've thought about sampling that new service today, but I don't want to interrupt the albums I've queued up via a Qobuz Panorama feature. Nice problem to have.)

Everyone wants to date my avatar.

Great piece, Chris! 

I adore Neil, and I’m definitely going to read this book. It sounds like he gets a lot right, especially MQA, but the “vinyl = 100%” thing is silly (most discussions I’ve seen put vinyl’s equivalent bit depth and rate below CDs), and I kind of cringed at his over-the-top Amazon HD endorsement, when thus far it’s far below Qobuz in my estimation. 

On 9/11/2019 at 6:49 AM, Patrick Cleasby said:

If you want to read a more cogent take on these topics Greg Milner - Perfecting Sound Forever is worth a look.

We don't get this here for another fortnight according to Amazon. Damn.

I agree. Even if I don’t agree with all of Milner’s takes when he talks about his own listening, the history stuff is great. 

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> router -> 2 Cisco switches connected by optical Ethernet -> microRendu -> USPCB -> ISO Regen (powered by LPS-1) -> Ghent JSSG360 USB cable -> Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC -> Spectral DMC-12 & DMA-150 -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Chris the book, much like the product, answered a question nobody asked.  Pono was a product designed to solve a problem that most consumers could care less about and if they did they could find products already on the market that adequately scratched their itch.   The book will have an even smaller audience.   But my big takeaway from the read is that Neil is a genuinely nice guy, a quality I find in a lot of passionate artists.    We are all better for having Neil’s musical contributions.   His literary and hardware contributions, not so much.