IGNORED

a/d analog to digital converter recommendatons

audiojerry

Question

I'm looking for a good quality but not too pricey A/D converter to transfer my favorite lp's to high qulaity digital flac or aif files. I recently tried the inexpensive Behringer UFO202 with free open recording software Audacity, but was not at all satisfied with the 24/96 results. I'm not sure if the shortcomings are due to the Audacity or the a/d converter inside the Behringer.  One mistake I probably

made was using the Behringer phonostage rather than the output from my much better Vincent PHO-8 phonostage.

Any recommendations on A/D converters or recording software would be greatly appreciated. I've looked into DAW Digital Audio Workstations, but they seem to be overloaded with functions and features I don't need.    

On 9/19/2019 at 10:00 AM, Le Concombre Masqué said:

ztw, is it worth dreaming of a Merlot  or a T+A 8 DSD, both HQP fed EC @256, would be non distinguable ?

Very different ones, but I'm not going to say anything about which route to take. You really really need to listen and decide yourself.

On 9/19/2019 at 10:00 AM, Le Concombre Masqué said:

for the record, as ADC for records,  there's also the discontinued TASCAM UH 7000 you once recommended that looks as the cheapest good solution

I know that one. I don't have it, but probably pretty nice for the price.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

On 10/13/2019 at 8:02 AM, bobbmd said:

@audiojerry go to Schiit Audio they have an adc called JIL 199$

made in USA great products great prices

thanks for the suggestion - looks like an excellent affordable option.

I kind of put my a/d enthusiasm on hold for a bit after I installed the latest firmware on my DirectStream dac. It sounds so

analog now I can't tear myself away.