IGNORED

MOVING TO 'KISS'

bobbmd

Would appreciate some suggestions on using Qobuz Tidal and ROON without using(or still using it just for streaming and buying updated mac mini) my late 2012 i7 16GB RAM now with nearly full 2TB WD hard drive. Am ditching my Cambridge Audio(henry kloss's old company) towers model 6's and s-300 satellites and my yamaha rx v2500 avr-replacing them with a Schiit Raggy2('just the amp' with 3 rca inputs for Gungnir and Meridian explorer 2 DACs) new Gungnir multibit DAC and a pair of Legacy Audio hd Studio Monitors.

should i just get new WD hard drive installed ie 4TB or are there inexpensive alternatives-remembering my CFO is allowing me to do this upgrade/downgrade to get rid of speakers and wires at cost of about 5000$ any more and she may wince and withdraw her offer!!

Am also getting rid of yamaha c-750 dvd-a/sacd/dvd changer and outlaw icbm bass manager since i don't really listen to cd's dvd-audios or sacds anymore all my ripped cds 800 of em are on ROON and TIDAL and Qobuz i still have them on my iTunes library(but never use that any more all in AIFF/FLAC)

thanks appreciate any suggestions

I had a pair of Legacy Calibre's with a REL sub, PS Audio DSD DAC with a PS Audio BHK 250.  The Sound was really good except for something missing from the extreme top end that I couldn't figure out.  Fast forward to a health issue that led me to sell most of my equipment off.   What I ended up settling on after careful thought, are the KEF's LS50W.  I wanted some sort of all-in-one that was Roon friendly.  This seem to fit the bill.  When I gave a first listen I was stunned at how good these speakers sound.  The Uni-Q driver array (aka concentric) is an amazing way to hear music, timing is perfect.  Adding my sub-woofer to the mix made this small but dynamic sounding system complete. 

I stream a lot from Qobuz and use a little from own collection to round things off.  I use a custom made tower PC with a NAS for storage.  I've never used the LS50W's for real wireless streaming only the Ethernet connection gets used.

So for a real simple set up LS50W speakers, a computer for Roon and streaming services (possibly music storage), a NAS and a sub-woofer to round things out.  Hard wire everything with Ethernet connections and your set.  Or just add these speakers to a second room for sound.

Don't know if this helps, good luck.

Shawn

Computer setup - Roon/Qobuz - PS Audio P5 Regenerator - HIFI Rose 250A Streamer - Emotiva XPA-2 Harbeth P3ESR XD - Rel  R-528 Sub

Comfy Chair - Schitt Jotunheim - Meze Audio Empyrean w/Mitch Barnett's Accurate Sound FilterSet

@ShawnC: thanks-you are the first person in this AUGUST body who ever had anything say about Legacy Audio Hd studios--I also have looked at the KEF's about same price as the Legacy's but not the wireless since i want to use a Schiit Gungnir multibit and meridian explorer 2 DAC into the Raggy 2 amp--also I stream Qobuz alone TIDAL alone and both with ROON and Audirvana 3.5 and I don't think the wireless do this plus they have built-in DACs which would be redundant(correct?). Plus I don't use ethernet anymore but an Apple WiFi time capsule 2TB tower connection and my own iTunes ripped collection resides in all the above services--do i need an NAS if I have all my music as described above already stored in each of those services( including hundreds of playlists)--I was thinking of using my ancient 1994 Cambridge Soundworks(Kloss's old company) powered sub woofer and i also have 2 pairs of 'passive' CSW subwoofers from my original CSW ensemble set what do you think of that?

I may reconsider nonwireless KEF's based on your observations and will just get a larger 4TB HD for my old Mac Mini as I don't want to go any higher than El Capitan for my operating system

Thanks again for responding and hope your health issues are past you

bobbmd

You gotta love what Schitt Audio brings to the affordable Hi Fi market.  They make great products.  Steaming is the future in my opinion, plus with steaming much of the music is already volume leveled so you don't have to constantly raise and lower your amp volume.  What ever you choose, make sure you demo the speakers first.  Speakers will have the greatest impact on the sound you'll hear.  So get that right first. 

As far as your stored music goes, if you can get by with your old Mac with Roon and the streaming services, your set.  Then for the time being just use those services.  Maybe you can create one portable hard drive with the music that the streaming services don't have and your other drives are for archives.  Unfortunately their endless options for storing and serving music.  Finding the right solution for your needs takes time. So do as much research as you can before investing your hard earned cash. 

Roon's product partner page will help you see who supports Roon software. https://roonlabs.com/partners.html, You can click on any of these companies listed and it'll take you to there website for further research.  Many are pricey but it's worth looking into.

And yes, if you were to buy the LS50W then there is no need for an external DAC or amp.  If you can find a way to demo these with subs you'll be amazed.  Not trying to sell these of course, but it is pretty close to KISS.

Computer setup - Roon/Qobuz - PS Audio P5 Regenerator - HIFI Rose 250A Streamer - Emotiva XPA-2 Harbeth P3ESR XD - Rel  R-528 Sub

Comfy Chair - Schitt Jotunheim - Meze Audio Empyrean w/Mitch Barnett's Accurate Sound FilterSet

• 4 weeks later...

@ShawnC sorry for late reply- i changed out the full WD hard drive replaced it with 4TB SSD by WD super fast and went  with the legacy audio hd monitors( they are being hand made for me as i write this) and schiit multibit gungnir and raggy 2==for now just listening with rs-195's wireless 'cans' and sennheiser 598s with AQ dragonfly red and meridian explorer 2 as dacs

thanks for all your suggestions-have 4 different backups of all my music ie itune library all my qobuz and tidal playlists etc so that old reliable mac mini will be my 'server' so to speak along with those dreadful electronic medical records i have to do

thanks again and best wishes

bobbmd