IGNORED

MacBook Pro vs dedicated streamer

New member here with a question that’s probably been asked so much that it should be a sticky. I’m currently using a Retina MacBook Pro running Audirvana to stream Tidal. I’m using usb out through a Shunyata usb cable and W4S Remedy Reclocker to the built-in dac on an Anthem STR integrated amp, then out to a pair of Merlin TSM’s. I don’t have any issues with SQ, but I’m intrigued by the simplicity of a one box solution provided by a dedicated streamer. Would I hear an improvement by moving to a dedicated streamer? If so, why? I realize there could be improvements to be had by the change of dac’s, but putting that issue aside, what’s to be gained by a dedicated streamer? Thanks. 

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I ended up getting a Bluesound Node 2i, using coax out to my Anthem STR. SQ is as good, maybe better, than my MacBook Pro. Tablet navigation between the 2 is different, but equally functional. What I do like is that my laptop is now more easily accessible, and the Node is small enough that it tucks out of sight underneath one of my turntables. 40 years of construction, and too many concerts in the 60’s and 70’s, has left my hearing in less than optimal condition, so I’m not sure if going any higher up the ladder than the Node would yield audible results. 

I haven’t tried the BluOS desktop app yet. When I was using my MacBook Pro I was controlling with my iPad using the A+ remote app. BluOS on the iPad is quite usable, different than A+, but I’d say on par with A+.  I had zero stability issues with Audirvana, and while I haven’t used BluOS long enough to fully form an opinion, I haven’t heard of any stability issues while reading reviews. What you do get with Audirvana, that I don’t think you get with BluOS, is the ability to upsample and tweak your output. 

I think Audirvana + might have spoiled me. Definitely a better user experience, plus I liked what I heard by using Sox to upsample to DSD. I’m going to put the MacBook back in the audio chain and do some more comparisons. If I really can’t hear any difference between the 2 then the Node is going back, and I’ll save $500.